X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigredbear
    • Jun 2012

looking into B&W 683

Hi HTGuide
    I am looking into buying B&W speakers for my first home theatre i figure its going to be around for a while so i should do it right.
    I am looking into buying the 683's as my front speakers
    just wondering what your guys thoughts are for an amplifier am looking at running a full 5.1
    mostly gaming but also for music for some partying full range of music from rock to rap.

any suggestions are welcome.
    Also considering polk TSi500's as a slightly cheaper alternative any thoughts on these speakers? havnt herd the TSi500s have herd the 400's

Thanks
  • Prairiedude
    • May 2012

If you want to get the most out of your 683's you'll need some decent power. I originally had mine powered with the Arcam avr300 (100w per channel), they sounded ok. Then I bi-amped them using channels 6+7, sound was better(tighter bass). However I found that if I wanted to really crank them up, they just couldn't quite do it. Then I got a hold of a Arcam power amp (P25/3), and used that for the lows, and used the receiver for the highs, and the difference was amazing. the bass very tight, and now I can crank it up and no distortion. I've actually hit 105 db's just in two channel with my db meter. The other plus is that the receiver is now doing 7 channel instead of just 5. The only other tip is make sure you have decent speaker cables, or you will choke the power needed for the bass. For the price the 683's sound awesome, again they do need decent power though to really shine.
    Speakers: B&W - 683, HTM61, DS3, CWM500
    Components: Arcam - AVR300, P25/3, CD72
    Power Conditioner: APC - H10BLK
    Display: Panasonic - PT900AU
    Cables: Nordost - Superflatline MKII, Blue Heaven
    Other: Sony BDP S380, NAD T533, Sony BDP S760(garbage), Nintendo Wii.

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by bigredbear
      Hi HTGuide
      I am looking into buying B&W speakers for my first home theatre i figure its going to be around for a while so i should do it right.
      I am looking into buying the 683's as my front speakers
      just wondering what your guys thoughts are for an amplifier am looking at running a full 5.1
      mostly gaming but also for music for some partying full range of music from rock to rap.

any suggestions are welcome.
      Also considering polk TSi500's as a slightly cheaper alternative any thoughts on these speakers? havnt herd the TSi500s have herd the 400's

Thanks
      I love the 683 as an entry level HI-FI speaker... I used to have a pair, and my brother has a pair, so I know them well. Definitely go for them over the Polks...

I would look at an Emotiva amp for plenty of power at entry level pricing.

Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.

Cheers,

Stuart
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Get the 683s and you'll be happy with them. You might even find that you don't like to listen as loud as you might think because of how good they sound all around compared to every other "loudspeaker" that most of the people buy that do go loud...but lack the precision and quality to the sound of them.

Definitely would look towards a nice powerful amp to drive them... you'll be happier that way then getting an under-powered amp that can't drive them good. I'd look towards 120 - 200watt range in all honesty. Go bigger if you can, but you're looking at separates at that point typically.

Getting a decent pre-processor and good amp is a great way to do it (even buying a cheaper receiver and a good 2ch amp --provided there are pre-outs on the receiver) will get you the sound you're looking for!

Also where are you at, if you're "near" Ohio... let me know and I can help you out on getting the 683s.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• sgtjim57
          • Dec 2008

I really enjoy my Emo amp driving my 603S3.
          Sony Bravia OLED A1E 55"
          SVS SB 2000 X 2
          Denon X4000 (Looking to upgrade due to 4K, ATMOS, DTSX)
          Oppo BDP 93
          Apple TV 4K
          B & W N804 Mains
          B & W 603 Rear surrounds
          B & W LCR 600 Center
          B & W CDS6 (Not in use)
          Sony TA N77ES (Not in use)

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

I question your choice of speakers for the music you want to listen to . I don't consider BBW to be great "party style" speakers.
            I do however like the Polk choice or checking out the RTia line as they ARE "party style" speakers.

Don't get me wrong , B&W makes fantastic sounding speakers for all kinds of music but I can think of a few better choices for your style.

Here's what I would check out before you buy the B&W's.

Polk RTIA series.
            Klipsch
            Paradigm Monitor series
            Definitive Technology BP series.

As far as your question about power for them , I suggest a Pioneer Elite SC model receiver. That will provide a nice amount of power for both theater and music use.
            As most speakers do , B&W any model speaker benefits from power amps with good to great power. They open up and really sing. I like Rotel and NAD as my choices. You could also check out a Rotel AV receiver with their ICE class D style amps. Maybe a very good choice and might fit your budget.

Comment

• sgtjim57
              • Dec 2008

B & W

Originally posted by Dmantis
              I question your choice of speakers for the music you want to listen to . I don't consider BBW to be great "party style" speakers.
              I do however like the Polk choice or checking out the RTia line as they ARE "party style" speakers.

Don't get me wrong , B&W makes fantastic sounding speakers for all kinds of music but I can think of a few better choices for your style.

Here's what I would check out before you buy the B&W's.

Polk RTIA series.
              Klipsch
              Paradigm Monitor series
              Definitive Technology BP series.

As far as your question about power for them , I suggest a Pioneer Elite SC model receiver. That will provide a nice amount of power for both theater and music use.
              As most speakers do , B&W any model speaker benefits from power amps with good to great power. They open up and really sing. I like Rotel and NAD as my choices. You could also check out a Rotel AV receiver with their ICE class D style amps. Maybe a very good choice and might fit your budget.
              From my limited experience, having only owned the 600 series 3 I totally agree with your statement they are not "party" animals. Not sure about the others so will not speak for them. I find them very good for personal quality listening at reasonable volume levels. At higher volume levels they seemed strained as compared to the Klispch speakers I used to own but sold. I found them to be loud but not ideal for quality listening. Personal opinion I am sure.
              Sony Bravia OLED A1E 55"
              SVS SB 2000 X 2
              Denon X4000 (Looking to upgrade due to 4K, ATMOS, DTSX)
              Oppo BDP 93
              Apple TV 4K
              B & W N804 Mains
              B & W 603 Rear surrounds
              B & W LCR 600 Center
              B & W CDS6 (Not in use)
              Sony TA N77ES (Not in use)

Comment

• BWLover
                • Jan 2009

Take a look at my set up below. I LOVE it!!!
                Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                Playstation 3
                Shaw HD PVR
                Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"