X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

Walls & Speaker Placement

Hey there. I was wondering...I have two options for my room. I will add photos when I get home. What difference will it make if the speakers are in front of a (ext) concrete wall vs an interior hollow wall? The floor is concrete. I live in an apt tower so the entire building is concrete. Also, if I put it on the concrete wall there is a patio window to the right. If I put it on the interior wall the patio window would be behind the sweet/listening spot. I will add measurements as well. The concrete wall way would be a smaller triangle then the interior wall would. Thanks guys. More info to be posted soon.
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

I would think the interior wall would work better as it's "softer" than the concrete block wall and well as positioning the speakers a little further apart. Having that hard concrete wall behind the speakers would work, but I'd recommend some treatment behind the speakers to help.

Course that being said, my speakers are on a concrete wall (earth behind that) with just panelling (though painted to not look like paneling) between the speakers and concrete wall and it works pretty darn good all in all.

Pictures will definitely help though to determine what works best.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

A concrete situation will create a standing wave situation no matter where the speakers are located. Room treatments are seriously recommended.

.....and of course, speaker location experimentation !! Bass management will also be tricky!
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• BWLover
        • Jan 2009

So I forgot I had this thread going. Here are some photos of my room. Sorry for the crap image quality. Also they are panorama photos using an iPhone app (also crappy lol) Any who, recommendations as to where I should put my acoustic treatment are in need. Other then the obvious first reflection point beside the right speaker haha. Thanks guys

This is the treatment I use..

I find this room a LOT more boomy then my last. Here is a photo of my last room.

I definitely need to get an area rug for this new room.
        Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
        Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
        Playstation 3
        Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• Skyblue
          • Jun 2009

Try moving your glass table out of the room. It too is a reflecting surface.
          B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• BWLover
            • Jan 2009

Ya. When I'm listening I move the table out of the room and move the chair over into the sweet spot
            Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
            Playstation 3
            Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

A throw rug would definitely help the standing waves. Try some oil paintings hung on the walls too!!! (Inside joke!!.....don't flame me guys!!! :-).
              Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"