How much space should there be between two B&W 685s?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AwArEnEsS
    • Nov 2009

I think current space is about 3.0-3.5 m.

Also a question about vocals and B&W 685.I sometimes hear like vocals sound tiny(music is more dominant than vocals) and/or vocals are singing from a bit far away,is it cause of some recordings or 685s?May not putting 685 onto desktop cause this?(I mean maybe vocals sing like they are singing from a bit far away because they are a bit far away(sideways) from listening position.I have Pc speakers too,they are on desktop and there is not much space between them,vocals sound like they are a bit nearer than 685s...
    Last edited by AwArEnEsS; 20 May 2012, 23:06 Sunday.
    The universe arises from definitionless awareness.
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I always try to form an equilateral triangle between myself and the speakers, speakers slightly toed in, but this is obviously not always possible. I think generally you should not be able to identify the sound source (perhaps with your eyes closed), but have rather a full "stage" or "cloud" in front of you, with each instrument in its place. The speaker positioning will craft this stage, and so it might require some experimentation depending on the room conditioning.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

Which is a good place to start. Also try 3/4 the distance you sit away and aim them right 6 inches from the back of your head. It seems this technic works with most direct firing speakers.

There is no correct space between speakers , it really matter how far you sit from them.
      Last edited by mjb; 21 May 2012, 16:29 Monday.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

I agree with Dmantis. There is no correct space between speakers. They should obviously be equal distance from the listening position but other than that, it's really a personal preference. I can tell you this though, small adjustments in speaker placement can make a HUGE difference in how they perform. Experimentation is best with speaker placement. Also typically, the farther speakers are from walls the better (within reason of course!!)
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Whacked!
          • Jun 2009

+1 for the tips here already, I'll try to add a little more.

I've found that generally, the wider you can place them creates a wider soundstage. However eventually, you start to loose the focused center image. For me it's about finding that ballance - when my center image starts to lose focus, I know I've tried to get too wide of a soundstage and need to bring them back in a bit.

Comment

• stuofsci02
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Whacked!
            +1 for the tips here already, I'll try to add a little more.

I've found that generally, the wider you can place them creates a wider soundstage. However eventually, you start to loose the focused center image. For me it's about finding that ballance - when my center image starts to lose focus, I know I've tried to get too wide of a soundstage and need to bring them back in a bit.
            Yeah.. This is what I do, but I move them until I start to lose the center image, and that is where I stop.. Then I toe in a little until the center image comes back. This inevitably happens for me at an equal triangle.. Surprise!

My speakers are 10ft apart with me 10ft away.. This should work well for 685 too!
            Main System:
            B&W 801D
            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
            Oppo BDP-105
            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
            B&W CM7
            Emotiva UMC-1
            Emotiva UPA-2
            Oppo BDP-83SE
            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Blindamood
              • Sep 2003

Since I have a center channel speaker, I know I've got my left and right positioned correctly when I'm listening to 2-channel music and it 'appears' that the sound is coming from my center channel. I'm using 805S for the left and right (approx. 12' apart), and I'm amazed at the size of the soundstage the produce.
              Brad

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
                • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answers
                The universe arises from definitionless awareness.

Comment

• Prairiedude
                  • May 2012

Here is a site that explains the speaker positions very nicely and is overall a great place for info.

Cardas produces a variety of products specifically for turntables, including our Myrtle Heart Cartridge, DIN plugs, cartridge clips, tonearm wire, and headshell leads. And of course our famous Frequency Sweep & Burn-in LP.

I tried it with my 683's and although it may look funny, the results are simply amazing!!
                  Speakers: B&W - 683, HTM61, DS3, CWM500
                  Components: Arcam - AVR300, P25/3, CD72
                  Power Conditioner: APC - H10BLK
                  Display: Panasonic - PT900AU
                  Cables: Nordost - Superflatline MKII, Blue Heaven
                  Other: Sony BDP S380, NAD T533, Sony BDP S760(garbage), Nintendo Wii.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"