X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zele
    • Jun 2008

DD-15 or 825+SMS-1

My study room is 3.2m (W) x 4.9m (L) x 2,6m (H) /11x16x8.5 /

I already have 805s and I would like to install a sub to help out with the lowest bass notes.

Question: should I go with Velodyne DD-15 or should I choose the B&W 825 + Velodyne SMS-1 combo? /Given the quotes I have from the dealers pricewise they are basically equal and I don't have a chance to listen to them in one single place to compare. Use will be 100% 2ch music, all sorts ranging from Jazz to Classic to Hip-hop.
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

Hi,

I have all B&W.... the sub too.

But the Velodyne is really a good product.

DD15 or B&W825+sms1 wow not easy (I don't not your (room)sound quanlity)

whit the room dimensionthe DD10 or better DD12 is enought. (for me)

well at B&W fans I say velodyne if was a HT system but in 2channel purist
    the 825 is sure not bad especaly with the 805s (I have too, great speakers)
    greetings from switzerland
    omar

Comment

• artv4
      • Jun 2007

i would just go with the velodyne dd series
      GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
        • Mar 2005

I have had the DD18 and just changed to JL Audio F113s... You might want to look at them too.

Comment

• zele
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
          I have had the DD18 and just changed to JL Audio F113s... You might want to look at them too.
          I'd love to. Unfortunately not available in Europe, at least not in the Eastern part of it.

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by zele
            My study room is 3.2m (W) x 4.9m (L) x 2,6m (H) /11x16x8.5 /

I already have 805s and I would like to install a sub to help out with the lowest bass notes.

Question: should I go with Velodyne DD-15 or should I choose the B&W 825 + Velodyne SMS-1 combo? /Given the quotes I have from the dealers pricewise they are basically equal and I don't have a chance to listen to them in one single place to compare. Use will be 100% 2ch music, all sorts ranging from Jazz to Classic to Hip-hop.

zele,

I have B&W speakers (802D's, HTM2D and N804's) and I have a DD18 sub. The DD18, with the in room calibration, not to mention it's excellent performance, blends extremely well with the B&W's (and it is DEEEEEEP).

I've owned M&K, Paradigm, Martin Logan and now Velodyne. The Velodyne is the best I've owned.

So I give an enthusiastic recommendation to the DD15 for you.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• zele
              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by htsteve
              zele,

I have B&W speakers (802D's, HTM2D and N804's) and I have a DD18 sub. The DD18, with the in room calibration, not to mention it's excellent performance, blends extremely well with the B&W's (and it is DEEEEEEP).

I've owned M&K, Paradigm, Martin Logan and now Velodyne. The Velodyne is the best I've owned.

So I give an enthusiastic recommendation to the DD15 for you.

Hope this helps.
              Thanks htsteve, it does help. Blending, flexibility and low distortion are the most important for me, performance on high sound level and in HT mode only secondary.

Comment

• speakerboy
                • Nov 2005

My B&W system use is 95% HT. In 2004, I bought the ASW850 to match my B&W Nautilus speakers. A few months ago, I upgraded to a JL Audio F113. The sound quality and dynamics was like night and day!

IMO, B&W subs aren't bad but I feel they are overpriced for what you get after having owned one. I haven't listened to Velodyne but I've read a lot of respected reviews on them. I would have considered Velodyne in 2004 if I had to do it over again. During my subwoofer search a few months ago, I found very few reviews for B&W subs.

For performance, I'd consider Velodyne. You may also want to consider the JL Audio F112 in your price range....or even the F113 if that's in your budget.

Comment

• htsteve
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by zele
                  Thanks htsteve, it does help. Blending, flexibility and low distortion are the most important for me, performance on high sound level and in HT mode only secondary.

zele,

Interesting that you mention that these are the important areas for you, because those are the things that come to mind when I think about the DD18. I also am surprised at how refined it is and how well it reproduces very subtle bass. I hear much more that I ever have before. And my previous subs were no slouches.

I do listen to a fair amount of 2 channel as well. The DD18 is superb in any setting. You would be set for a very long time with the DD15 (especially if you expand into multi channel sound, whether it music or movies).

Hope this helps.

Comment

• alebonau
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by htsteve
                    zele,

Interesting that you mention that these are the important areas for you, because those are the things that come to mind when I think about the DD18. I also am surprised at how refined it is and how well it reproduces very subtle bass. I hear much more that I ever have before. And my previous subs were no slouches.

I do listen to a fair amount of 2 channel as well. The DD18 is superb in any setting. You would be set for a very long time with the DD15 (especially if you expand into multi channel sound, whether it music or movies).

Hope this helps.
                    found the dd15 extremely refined for 2ch, its built in sms eq also nothing beats and easy as pie to blend into your mains to suit your room and system.

a lovely sub for 2ch or ht duties the velo DD
                    "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• DL86
                      • Sep 2005

Get a JL F-113... or for more grunt get a SVS PB-13 Ultra, JL being slightly more musical. Do some research on the JL and you will find it being superior to the velodyne DD series.

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

Those subwoofer can be found on the market? Many.. and more...

BUT
                        the question was Velodyne or B&W!

Of course the JL Audio make great sub....

Omar

Comment

• style
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Feb 2006

BUT

Omar
                          Last edited by style; 22 August 2008, 05:08 Friday. Reason: double

Comment

• style
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006

BUT

Omar

Comment

• zele
                              • Jun 2008

I would have loved to get the JL Audio subs, but no distribution/service in Eastern-Europe.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"