X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dark Elation
    • Apr 2012

Sub or center??

Being young and adding to my setup piece by piece is quite the journey. I'm preparing to add my next component but I'm not sure which to get first. Do I go with the sub or the center first? Does it make a difference? Thanks for the help guys!
  • Rod#S
    • Oct 2010

What do you currently have, just the mains? If so, if it were me I would go for the center first, I tried playing multi-channel via a phantom center and did not like it so if I had to go without a sub or a center I would gladly go without the sub.
    B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• KRC
      • Aug 2004

I to would go for the centre first. The LFE would not be missed as much as the centre, by getting a true and accurate dialogue and centred with your monitor will make a better viewing. Not knowing your present equipment or your budget, but i would purchase the best you can get and work towards the rest of the system. Stereo is to easy, two speakers but in HT you have 5 or potentially 7 or more and unless you have alot of money to put into this hobby you will need to piecemeal the system ie end up with a weak link in the system.

Kevin
      Last edited by KRC; 22 April 2012, 18:23 Sunday.

Comment

• Dark Elation
        • Apr 2012

Yeah I guess that my current equipment would help lol. I have so far purchased two CM1's as my mains and I'm running it all through a denon avr2112ci. I am trying to keep it all matched by going with the B&W sub and center. Currently looking at the 12" sub and the cm center 2. In the future the two cm1's will become my rears as I upgrade the mains. I will also be changing to a pre/pro setup in the future as my equipment list grows.

Comment

• mjb
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

I would also recommend getting a center next. The center channel is very important in a surround setup, as it usually carries the main dialogue. Having a dedicated center lifts the dialogue out of the background effects or music, and makes it a lot clearer. The LFE is perhaps less important, as its used for effects (explosions and the like) which can be safely re-directed to the left/right pair without impairing the dialogue (when you have a center).
          - Mike

Main System:
          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Antus
            • Apr 2008

i would go for sub. cm1 can't produce low frequency that u definatly need a sub.

u may considering to get 800 series front. which is a lot better than cm series. in that case, u might consider matching center instead of CM center.

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Dark Elation
              Being young and adding to my setup piece by piece is quite the journey. I'm preparing to add my next component but I'm not sure which to get first. Do I go with the sub or the center first? Does it make a difference? Thanks for the help guys!
              Without a doubt a Center channel speaker!. Buy the best and Biggest you can afford. 80% of home theater comes out of the center channel speaker.
              Dan Madden :T

Comment

• leej
                • Feb 2009

Do you listen to music? If so, I'd get the sub first, since the CM1 doesn't produce lows as well larger speakers. A sub would add a lot to your 2-chanel listening, even without the explosions and sound effects, not to mention what it would do for HT. I'll bet that you could easily audition the difference at your local store to see which you prefer.
                Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
                B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• sskim
                  • Sep 2007

i'm with you in terms of staying with B&W for all channels, however, when it comes to subwoofer, it's less critical. and you sure will get more bang for your bucks by going with other brands.

Comment

• Dark Elation
                    • Apr 2012

I planned on getting the HTM2 center (after reading A LOT of the posts here) and eventually get the 800's for my mains. I do listen to music but not as much as my wife and she won't appreciate the sound. I see velodynes getting a lot of praise on here and am looking into those. Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"