X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BiKESEAT
    • Nov 2010

Build: 5.1 system, Overnight Sensations MTM and SP10 sub

I've got a bit of time at home at the moment, so thought I do a little project. I've built a few subs in years gone by, but never done full range speakers, never finished with veneer or even had a router. So a bit of reading around here and I decided to do a 5.1 system using the Overnight Sensations MTM as the full ranges and the SP10 sub from the Swope build, all designed by Undefinition.

I moved the UK at the beginning of last year, leaving all my tools in Australia, so had to spend a bit getting setup Ended up getting a Dewalt 621 router - after all you're going to have it for ever ... amazed how easy it is to use. Took a couple of goes to get my circle jig right but otherwise it's been a pleasure.

So far I've done all the routing except the cutout for the sub port, will do that when I go buy the PVC.

I initially wanted to do the Swope full set, but in my small living room with wall mounted speakers it wouldn't work for the WAF. I ended up slightly changing the aspect of the centre channel so it has a lower profile against the wall (tv is wall mounted above fireplace) not really ideal but again keeps the WAF in check.

Anyhow some pictures of progress:

Baffles, note the larger centre

Back side of baffles

Back of the LF / RF/ LR / RR with rear ports. Not technically correct with the port with in one diameter the wall, but anyhow. The centre has forward firing ports.

Internal braces

Sub cut out with skin

I've ordered American white oak to finish the full ranges and will do the sub black. Going to do a light stain on the oak with Danish oil finish - can anyone recommend weather or not use grain filler? From what i've read grain filler seems to be more for a the lacquer / french polish finish.
  • Undefinition
    • Dec 2006

Looks good so far. I look forward to seeing them progress.

Nice choice on the sub, too. I think you'll find it quite enjoyable.
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
    Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• BiKESEAT
      • Nov 2010

Bit of an update, over the weekend glued the enclosures together:

Bit of a difference in the sub porting to the Swope sub, for some strange reason 75mm poly pipe is quite expensive here and not common. So got some 68mm and did two ports, tuned to 27hz, 727mm length. Box volume 33L (accounting for volume ports take away). Port velocities come down nicely with the two ports should all be ok. Will add some hot glue between the ends to make sure there aren't any vibrations.

Finished prepping the boxes and did the crossovers today.

So tomorrow going to sort the rounding over, and start playing with the venner. Will also finish off the sub enclosure.

Comment

• omarmipi
        • Sep 2006

Nice wood work! I cannot wait to see the finished result. I'm thinking about building somthing similar if the wife approves the funds!

Comment

• numberoneoppa
          • Sep 2009

Those look really nice so far. :O
          -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• Undefinition
            • Dec 2006

Very clever what you did with the vent for the sub! I did a triple-take on that one! Excellent build pics, by the way.

Also, I'm excited to see how the center channel comes out. The wide, flat shape should look nice with flat screen TVs. It never occurred to me to do it that way.

Comment

• BiKESEAT
              • Nov 2010

Cheers for the comments guys Undefinition - the tv is wall mounted above a fireplace, so really need to have a fairly low profile speaker to wall mount or else it'll look weird.

So on to painting the sub / veneering the satellites ... been a fairly busy couple of days.

Satellites before veneering:

Sub before painting:

Veneer all glued up and drying ..

And one satellite after veneering. Reasonably happy considering it's my first go at using veneer.

Not sure if anyone noticed but I got the tweeter position slightly wrong on the corner channels, it's 10mm too far in towards centre. Ahh well.

Sub is being painted at the moment, still needs some work to tidy up some blemishes particularly on the edges. Also managed to fill the house with black dust (kitchen adjoins the garage) .. whoops.

Aiming to finish veneering tomorrow and trim, then that'll be it till Monday.

Comment

• joeybutts
                • Sep 2009

That looks fantastic.

pardon my slight hijack....you put the glue on the raw veneer and then iron it on?

Comment

• 1Michael
                  • Sep 2006

You let the glue dry first...
                  Michael
                  Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• MrkCrwly
                    • Oct 2009

Really nice build. Except for everything being so clean. I need to learn how to do that. Keep the pics coming.

Comment

• BiKESEAT
                      • Nov 2010

Some nice instructions for iron on veneer from one of the forum members here:

Comment

• BiKESEAT
                        • Nov 2010

As an interesting aside - for anyone looking to convert the parts express BASH amplifier to 240v, instructions can be found here ...

Comment

• BiKESEAT
                          • Nov 2010

Bit more progress, on to oil now and sorting the sub painting.

Veneer all trimmed:

One coat of fresh oil.

Drying arrangement after first coat...

Comment

• meb46
                            • Jul 2010

Looks great!!! What sort of Oil are you using?

Comment

• BiKESEAT
                              • Nov 2010

Liberon danish oil

There's a few little mistakes on one of the speakers - that can be a surround One of the mistakes is in the oiled picture - I had to join the veneer after I didn't get the first wrap piece right. You can see the join about 40mm from the bottom.
                              Last edited by BiKESEAT; 24 November 2010, 07:04 Wednesday.

Comment

• Titan05
                                • Oct 2008

Can you post the dimensions of your version of the center channel? Did you have to modify the port length or put a bend in it and if so could you post that too please? I have an application where I might need a shallower design than the original.

Thanks!

Comment

• john trials
                                  • Mar 2009

That is a REALLY nice looking set of speakers!!!!! Nice job!
                                  Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• Undefinition
                                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Titan05
                                    Can you post the dimensions of your version of the center channel? Did you have to modify the port length or put a bend in it and if so could you post that too please? I have an application where I might need a shallower design than the original.

Thanks!
                                    Yeah, I think you happened upon something quite appealing with that center channel design. It hadn't occurred to me to do the OSMTM in an enclosure like that, but I think there is a high demand for that shape for home theater these days. Next thing, people'll be hanging them from the walls (note: I have not tested the OSMTM mounted flat on a wall like that, so anyone who does it does it at his own risk)

Comment

• BiKESEAT
                                      • Nov 2010

The centre will be sitting on some brackets on the wall - so essentially wall mounted but not actually bolted to it. I'm modifying a BT15 centre channel mount to suit.

External dimensions of the centre are 590mm wide x 165mm high x 140mm deep, 12mm MDF with two internal braces. Ports are 1" x 4" (PE 260-470) using these on all the speakers. Will achieve the same tuning as the 1.25" x 6" ports in the original design.

Couple of pics - next ones will probably be the finished product.

Sub primed for painting - found the hard way it's much better to use steel wool than sand paper to stop the galling up and making marks in the primer. Ahh well.

After 5 coats of oil, I'll probably finish it at 6. Will see how they look.

Cheers for all the comments guys!

Comment

• BiKESEAT
                                        • Nov 2010

Finished them off today, some pics:

They sound lovely Amazed at how well they image despite being next to walls. The bass extension is also mighty impressive for such small drivers. The centre seems to have worked well, it sounds very crisp. You can see how much the location dictated the sizing.

So overall very happy. Big thank you to undefinition for putting out the designs!

Comment

• joeybutts
                                          • Sep 2009

That looks fantastic!! Any more detailed pics of the sub?

Comment

• Undefinition
                                            • Dec 2006

Very nice work! Well-executed all-around. Mind if I post some of those pictures on my site?

Comment

• richnen
                                              • Jul 2010

Those look fantastic! Very nice build.
                                              Seas Idunn
                                              ZA5.2
                                              ZA5.3CC
                                              SB Acoustics 12" sub
                                              Statement Monitors
                                              CLD M5B

Comment

• BiKESEAT
                                                • Nov 2010

Thanks guys - Undefinition go for it, the full album with higher res versions is here:

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"