X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sal1k
    • Jul 2009

Rotel and Airplay

Anyone know (from a technical perspective, or even from a practical perspective), whether Rotel will roll out Apple's Airplay standard in future products, or even as a software update for existing units.

I'm rockin' (and LOVING!!!) my Rotel RSX-1550, but would love to have airplay in lieu of having an Airport Express connected to it.

So, is it even possible with a software update? I mean, there is an ethernet jack on the back of the unit, so there is a potential for a wired connection to a local Mac network.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and thoughts. I love lurking and learning on these forums!

Sal
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

1: Not an ethernet jack, that an RS232 connection in an RJ45 connector.

2: If they ever did (and I doubt they ever would), it would only be on new products. Putting anything 'Apple' on the unit would require licensing for all models that could support it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• MickeyVee
      • Jun 2009

Not sure if it's possible.. it would be nice to get music titles on the display. Anyway, I'm going to hookup the new AppleTV and I'll have it in a fashion when iOS 4.2 comes out.
      Martin Logan Vista, Vignette, Grotto i, B&W M-1 ~ Wireless iTunes to new AppleTV & Oppo BDP-83 > PS Audio DLIII DAC > Rotel RSX-1560 ~

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

The Airport Express and AppleTV support "AirPlay", so you're all set. I think AirPlay is more a licensing deal where manufactures are allowed to build something similar to the Airport Express into their device. Backwards compatibility is maintained with an external Airport Express as you have. "AirPlay" is "AirTunes" rebranded and opened up.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• mjb
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by MickeyVee
          Not sure if it's possible.. it would be nice to get music titles on the display. Anyway, I'm going to hookup the new AppleTV and I'll have it in a fashion when iOS 4.2 comes out.
          An AppleTV will do this for you, I just got one, and at $99 its a steal. :T
          - Mike

Main System:
          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• BW4me
            • Nov 2005

I also just got the new Apple TV to try out with my RSX-1067. I have it hooked up through the optical input.

What is the best audio setting I should set for the default on my rotel? Right now it's set to PCM, but not sure if there is a better choice. Mostly, I would just listen to music and sometimes a movie.

Thanks for the help

Steve

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"