X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GWNG8
    • Oct 2011

Need tube help

Avid reader, first time poster.
    My system includes B&W CM6's, Rotel RSX1056, and I'm not impressed with the 2 channel sound. I've been considering tubes & have narrowed it down to

Manley Stingray
    Pros: basically 2 monoblocks sharing a chassis, great site for purchasing parts, 5 year warranty
    Cons: little worried about the low power
    Audiovalve Assistent 50
    Pros: great power, auto biasing system, Russian mig tubes
    Cons: replacement tubes not so easy to find, hot tubes in a confined, but vented box,

I listen mostly to rock, and am trying to stay around $4000, +/- for an integrated......I also think for that price I should find something that looks great as well
    Any suggestions are appreciated
    Last edited by GWNG8; 06 October 2011, 15:47 Thursday. Reason: added
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Welcome to HTGuide! While I don't have experience with B & W's CM line , their other speakers have a reputation for being power hungry. Have you considered a hybrid integrated? A tube pre and solid-state amp would cover your stated concerns regarding power. Vincent (one example) has a nice hybrid that puts out 150 watts per channel. It's a good bit below your cost ceiling , but maybe that's a good thing? Rogue Audio has a nice tube integrated within your range , too. No affiliation , I just wanted to say 'Welcome' and toss out another option. I'm sure some others will be by here with some good input as well.

Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• GWNG8
      • Oct 2011

Thanks. I hadn't looked at hybrids much, only because I wasn't sure they woudl have enough "tube" sound. I hadn't heard of Vincent, but will check them out. Rogue I had looked at once, but will give it another look.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"