X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • happy
    • Mar 2006

Anyone used Nat p's with tubes?

I am looking to get a new amp for my Natalie p's and was wondering if any of you had any comments on how they synergize with either a tube or tude hybrid amplifier? Have any of you tried this or have any ideas whether or not it would be a good/bad idea? Thanks
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Depends on the amp. The NatP's are a real-world 4 ohm load, if your amp can drive that then you're good to go.

As for synergy = phenomenon in which two or more discrete influences or agents acting together create an effect greater than that predicted by knowing only the separate effects of the individual agents

I'll leave comments about it to people who believe audio components have 'PRaT' and that ain't me, babe.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Look for an amp with a reasonably low output impedance. Low feedback designs work well with the NatP's, but solid state (like Ayre) is usually the best choice. With tubes, theres tubes, and there's tubes. Big difference between a SET, a small PP design with EL34's, and a Sonic Frontiers, BAT or Audio Research monoblocks.

Check out the Prima Luna Prologue Seven monoblocks in the December issues of Stereophile, $2695 for a pair 70 watts/channel, 4-KT88's in each amp (my favorite tube from my guitar playing days). Very high output impedance, which means a lot of frequency response interaction with loudspeaker impedance.

OTOH, once you get up into that price range, I'd really recommend either the baby Ayre integrated amp AX-7e, non feedback solid state, or saving up for an Ayre V5e power amp.

the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"