X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • windshear
    • Dec 2004

Ouch ouch ouch !!!

Im just in shock having found my 800 Diamond tweeter like this.
    Attached Files
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Did this happen from playing it???
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• windshear
      • Dec 2004

I dont know. I did not use my system for the last week. I had a few friends around today and while showing them the workmanship on the loudspeakers i saw the above. I had a volume level run away 3 weeks ago probably on my preamp, but i managed to mute it before what i thought was too loud and or any damage having been done. I checked everything out after that and it all appeared fine, used it for a few days then left the system for the last week.

We had a massive thunder and lightning storm here this last week, and i know that has nothing to do with it, but some how im always thinking back to the storm and the lightning and want to relate it to that. My equipment was switched off at the time, so impossible to just blow a diamond tweeter like that.

Im perplexed, saddened and angry at the same time. Ironicially, the tweeter still plays sound with whats left of it, when running test tones.

Comment

• Pedro
        • Jan 2006

Woww my friend that´s terrible. We already had this type of problem a little while ago with other pal in this forum. I think this is not caused by high listening levels, but for something really more serious like a electric discharge provided by your amp or by a storm as you described. If we listen too loud the most would happen is the twitter burn and stop working.

If possible tell us what are your electronics and how is your electrical network. A good grounding is very important to prevent any kind of injuries like that.

Comment

• windshear
          • Dec 2004

Amplifiers are all Classe and the Processor an Onkyo. The power and earthing is definately not a problem. All electronics is working perfectly fine. My equipment has additional surge protection on all line inputs. When not in use the equipment is all off, not in standby. The power is fully removed from the equipment via a contactor, controlled remotely.

The dealer is coming out this evening to have a look.

Comment

• multivac
            • Dec 2006

Someone damaged the tweeter.

Damage caused by very high listening levels or thunderstorms has to be ruled out.

Comment

• style
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2006

Did this happen from playing it???
              Hi,

I dont think will be possible make a tweeter, a diamond tweeter playing music...
              B&W tweeter are very fragile, that's sure: is happen me too..... ops:

A new tweeter (in Europa) is expensive....., not like a new 800's but you need around $. 800.- for a piece.....

Style

Comment

• windshear
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by multivac
                Someone damaged the tweeter.
                Impossible as nobody goes into the room except me and i definately did not damage it.

Comment

• windshear
                  • Dec 2004

Well, i just had the dealer here. He had a quick look to see that there was no abuse or user damage at fault and replaced the tweeter at no cost. Thats what i call customer service, something very scarce in this day and age. :T

Comment

• miner
                    • Mar 2005

Great for you. Now, just as important, why/how did it happen?

Comment

• ShadowZA
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by windshear
                      Well, i just had the dealer here. He had a quick look to see that there was no abuse or user damage at fault and replaced the tweeter at no cost. Thats what i call customer service, something very scarce in this day and age. :T
                      That's great news! I tend to try to nurture my tweeters like babies and at the same time do realize that 'bad stuff' sometimes happens. Can't believe how many folk mistake the tweeters for microphones.

Wouldn't give up my diamond tweeters for anything. :T

Comment

• windshear
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by miner
                        Great for you. Now, just as important, why/how did it happen?
                        No idea, sadly i will never know, i just found it like that. However i am a bit paranoid now as to how fragile they may be ....

Comment

• Joawen
                          • Mar 2006

Don't completely rule out construction error!

Comment

• emig5m
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                            Can't believe how many folk mistake the tweeters for microphones.
                            I know! One of my friends came over and grabbed my tweeter and asked if I was a singer now! 8O

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"