X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • James63
    • Dec 2006

Storm damaged my Rotel 1056.

Background:

A big storm came through quickly and knocked out the power. None of my equipment was in use when the storm came through and I unplugged everything before the power came back up. It was also plugged into a surge protector. Nothing else was damaged. My two channel system works fine (thank god).

Anyway the unit as a whole works fine but as soon as I plug it in the back left speaker pop loudly and continues to pop. Oddly there is still sound coming out of the back left speaker that is popping.

I see five fuses that all seem to be fine.

Question:

If a fuse is bad does anyone know which one it would be?

Is the unit toast?

Has anyone set an item back to Rotel to have it fixed. If so what did it cost? The unit is used and out of warranty.

Thanks
    James.
  • RoMan
    • Jan 2007

Sorry to hear that James. One of our gears worst enemy, Mother Natures lightening bolts. Does your surge protector have a equipment protection policy? Is it possible to make a claim if there is a damage protection policy by the surge protection company? I suggest to call Rotel as soon as you can to let them know what has transpired. They are pretty good and I'm sure will take good care of your Rotel.

Hang in there James.

RoMan

Comment

• James63
      • Dec 2006

Well I took it all apart and I see no signs of damage on any of the boards. I am really at a loss because all my other equipment is fine.

I only payed $400 dollars for it, I just plan to buy another used unit today...

There is a Rotel certified service center two hours from me I could ship the unit to but I am not sure it is worth it. I might just ship it to them and if I don't like the repair cost just let them keep it.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Sounds like the main digital board is out. Run some cables to the rear multi-channel inputs and see if they play fine without popping.

Last time I checked, the digital board was right around $700.

Kevin D.

Comment

• srb
          • Oct 2004

I have seen one or two RSX-1056 with the digital board not working for sale on Audiogon for ~ $200 - $250. It could be said (and advertised) that used as an analog stereo receiver (@ 100W/channel), the 1056 sounds better than more than a few alternative stereo receivers.

Steve

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

If you only paid 400 bucks for it, move on and buy another unit. As stated above by another member, most good surge protectors have a equipment replacement warranty. I can only imagine the hurtles you would have to go through to get them to pay though!!. Were you using a good one with a warranty?. I had a Rotel receiver that started to pop as well and suspected a power surge as the cause. It was under warranty however and Rotel replaced my unit finally.
            Dan Madden :T

Comment

• James63
              • Dec 2006

Yeah it was cheap. I ordered another unit off of ebay that is "new" in the box for $600. It should be here this week.

I have not hooked the broken receiver back up to see what is broken and what is not. It is not worth the risk in damaging any of my speakers to me. The cheapest speakers I have in the house are an older pair of B&W 703s and I do not want to damage either.

Oh well I guess $400 lost. I am more thank full none of my two channel stuff got messed up. I pass the surround sound through my two channel preamp so everything is connected.

Comment

• James63
                • Dec 2006

"Sounds like the main digital board is out. Run some cables to the rear multi-channel inputs and see if they play fine without popping. "

I currently use the multi channel inputs. The speakers started to pop as soon as I plugged the unit in. Even in standby they pop. I unplugged it in about 3 seconds... super human like... lol.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"