X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

HDTV over the air !!

I've seen all kinds of HDTV's as well as all kinds of HDTV service providers....both satellite and cable ones, but HDTV over the air is by far the BEST in picture quality!!. Why I'm not completely sure....but I believe it's because the digital signal from over the air HDTV is coming straight from the tower, uncompressed... whereas TV service from service providers is compressed and the signal has been 'baptized' many times before it has got to your monitor!!.
    Dan Madden :T
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

That's pretty much the gist of it, Madmac. OTA ATSC is compressed less, while cable/satellite is compressed out the wazoo so they can fit their 150 channels of crap in.

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

I get about 12 stations over the air and from a boob tube point of view....that's plenty enough 'crap' for me!. I do love tennis though and would kill to watch more of that during the winter. But, you've gotta have some sort of cable service to get that. Cannot justify the expense just to watch some tennis. I get plenty of Golf (which I also like to watch) over the air on NBC-HD and it's crystal clear.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

I'm here in Montreal Canada and our government has mandated that all broadcast TV go digital this coming August. CTV has just gone digital adding yet another Hi Def station to my free hi def TV arsenal. They did this early apparently because of the Super Bowl!!. They want to feed in their own commercials over the Fox one's and had to do this to make that happen apparently!!. Hehehe!! Long live the super bowl for making that happen!!. I of course, will watch the Fox feed in Hi Def from Plattsburg Vermont and see all the 'Real' commercials !! HEHEHE!! :-)

Comment

• Fishy
          • Jul 2004

Here in the UK we have a couple of options, Freeview and Freesat.

Freeview is all about digital normal channels, not much in the way of compression and depending on how far from the transmitter. This is now broadcasting some (approx. 7) channels in HD.

Freesat again is meant to have more channels and is trying to replace freeview from what I can see.

I've also got both cable and Satelite (Sky) and have to admit that since Sky have introdued their HD versions of the channels, the standard versions of those channels just appear to be a lower quality (bandwidth) of what it should be. Its just a big con IMHO.

Fish

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

TV is funny that way. When I was a kid, all there was was broadcast tv and it was free if you had a decent antenna. The payment was having to sit through the commercials. Then, someone got the big idea to introduce cable TV and charge people for the actual signal itself !. Then, not only were you paying for the show by watching the commercials but on top of that, you had to pay for the privilege to watch it at all !!. And Jezzus...people bought it !!! Hehehehe!!!.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"