X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skyblue
    • Jun 2009

Where is my phat bass?

So .. I have a setup consisting of a ssp800, 2x 800 d2, and 2 diy icepower monos 600watt (asx250 modules). My source is an ayre qb9. Cables are just standard balanced all the way.

My problem is, that the bass is missing in 2 channel. And I wonder what is wrong?

In movies it seems fine. I rarely miss any bass there at all. But in 2 channel, the "slam" just isnt there.

I have a headfi set, with a heed canamp and some denon ah d5000 also connected to the qb9, and it sounds fantastic. Deep base, clear everything.

So what to do? Cables (I know, dont mention it), or can anyone recommend some good amplifiers?
    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

R U sure that you have set the speaker setup correctly on the specific input? If in doubt select analogue bypass (if your using a analogue input) to ensure full bandwidth output.

Comment

• IceG
      • Dec 2008

And make sure the speakers are wired in phase!

Comment

• Skyblue
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by aarsoe
        R U sure that you have set the speaker setup correctly on the specific input? If in doubt select analogue bypass (if your using a analogue input) to ensure full bandwidth output.
        I did mess about with that a bit. It helped a bit, but I am not entirely where I want to be. Good tip though, since it wasnt on bypass..
        B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• BassThatHz
          • Jul 2006

Are the woofers moving at all? If not then it is the electronics, if so then it is likely your room acoustics.

Have you tried to measure your system with REW before and/or have the equipment to do so? Here's an older thread of mine to further this very topic: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=37657
          If done right it shows exactly was "is" or "isn't" going on acoustically. 1, 2 or 99 speakers at a time doesn't matter, it will take the guessing out of the guesswork.

Comment

• aarsoe
            • May 2004

I would suggest taking a look at your amplification - not sure you have enough power to drive the 800s. Even if the new version is an easier load, it is still not every amplifiers favorite and the smal ice power modules may not be enough to really make them shine. Testing the theory should be easy, just borrow something else from your local dealer and see if that makes a big difference..

Comment

• Skyblue
              • Jun 2009

@BassThatHz: I will have a look at it later. Right now I really have no idea what the graphs mean..

@aarsoe: I think that is the place to start as well. I talked to the local ayre dealer in the spring, and he said icepower is ok, but it needs a good power supply. He also said anything from $4000 and up will beat the crap out of it

I guess I will have to check with my pusher and see what we can do. Either m600's or I dunno. Used bryston? Time will tell..

Comment

• DeepEndX
                • Feb 2005

Different amps make different sound, same with speaker cables

I also like my music with plenty of bass and dynamic. I have tried Rotel, Classe, Mac's, Conrad Johnson, Bryston, Pass...etc. Each brand has pro's, con's and specialties. I have Krells now and the Krells provide plenty of slam. As for cables, not going there

Comment

• aarsoe
                  • May 2004

Speaking of phat bass, try listening to the number "phat planet" by leftfield or "limit to your love" by James Blake. If that does not give you all the bass you want then not much will.. Especially the James Blake number will test your system to the max.

Comment

• Skyblue
                    • Jun 2009

I did a couple of things that helped quite a bit:

1) I started using jplay as player. It has better bass than foobar. Its that simple.

2) I attached a db1 sub

3) I added 1db to the db1 sound.

Now the bass is fine.

I do believe that the problem comes from using $400 monos with $25.000 speakers.. But with the db1, it actually works out

I will have a listen to leftfield later tonight

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"