X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • windshear
    • Dec 2004

HTM1D Stand

Im in the process of getting a stand built for the HTM1D. However the one issue that sits in the back of my mind, is that the spec sheet for the speaker says built for use on the floor. Would raising it reduce the bass extension and would it be noticable? The reason for raising it is to improve the tonal match to the mains. I had a pair of 802D's but will be upgrading to a pair of 800Di' shortly. Im sure the sound would be better for the midrange to be closer level wise to the mains, but obviously i cant raise it that high. Any thoughts regarding height, whats good bad or things i should be considering.
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

There are lots of people who have raised it, so you should get good response...

I would think the pros would definately outweigh the cons...
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• dmccombs
      • Sep 2006

If anything, the bass gets tighter as you get it off the floor. I wanted my midrange and tweeter to be as close height-wise to my L-R 802Ds, so I raised the HTM1D so I could just view the TV screen over it.

It worked out very well and the bass was never an issue.

Comment

• BlueSander
        • Apr 2008

I have been looking for the HTM1 stand too, however, at the price of $350+, I don't think I can justify that cost. My temporary solution for the speaker right now is instead of leaving it flat on the floor, I use 1.5" tall rubber feet to raise the front of the speakers up from the floor. I'm pretty sure I'm getting very close to what the speakers supposed to be with the stand. You guys can do a quick test by putting the speaker on a small self/chair and compare the sounding to when you have the spearker's front raised up by an inch or two.

Comment

• stuofsci02
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

BlueSander.. Are you referring to the HTM1 or HTM1D? The HTM1D is 205 lbs and I would doubt it could be put on a small shelf or chair...
          Main System:
          B&W 801D
          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
          Oppo BDP-105
          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
          B&W CM7
          Emotiva UMC-1
          Emotiva UPA-2
          Oppo BDP-83SE
          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• ninja12
            • Mar 2007

I have raised my HTM1D off of the floor to the point that the tweeter is just under the screen that the picture is actually displayed on which is only a 10" difference between the tweeters on my 802Ds and the tweeter on the HTM1D. I am really glad a I that because the sound is just extremely seamless between the fronts and the HTM1D. If I could raise it higher, I would've; but, then it would be interfering with the picture.

Comment

• mal01
              • Apr 2009

I have a great HTM1D that I stole from a fellow on this forum. Get a half dozen or so 2x4 sheets of mdf. Put the speaker on on of the sheets and trace around the bottom, then cut out with a jig saw, then take that piece and copy it on to the other sheets and cut out one by one. When you are done with that, glue the sheets together and then wrap with whatever cloth you want. Use less or more sheets if you want, make it however tall you want, if you go past six, it will be very heavy.

Comment

• kallagtunet
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by mal01
                I have a great HTM1D that I stole from a fellow on this forum. Get a half dozen or so 2x4 sheets of mdf. Put the speaker on on of the sheets and trace around the bottom, then cut out with a jig saw, then take that piece and copy it on to the other sheets and cut out one by one. When you are done with that, glue the sheets together and then wrap with whatever cloth you want. Use less or more sheets if you want, make it however tall you want, if you go past six, it will be very heavy.

Looks like this:
                Attached Files

Comment

• beden1
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by kallagtunet
                  Looks like this:
                  Very nice system! :T

Comment

• mal01
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by kallagtunet
                    Looks like this:
                    Yep, you're the one :T

Comment

• windshear
                      • Dec 2004

Im looking at a custom made stand that will use the base of the 800D's as a reference for finish. Aluminium and wood(satin black finish). The aluminium would be solid and anodised to look like the 800D's base. The problem im having is weight, cost and the number of feet to get a scale relation. The original stand has 8 feet, 4 in the front and 4 in the rear. It looks rather busy, however going with 6 feet instead of 8 may throw the proportions off.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• ShadowZA
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

If it all works out it should be perfect. You might also want to factor in a slight upward angle so that your HTM1D is properly directed towards your listening position. Good luck and please keep us posted. :T

Comment

• windshear
                          • Dec 2004

I wont be putting a tilt angle on the stand. The reason is with test tones i have run, the tonality of the HTM1D changes in relation to the mains with an angle increase. It sounds closest to the 802D's when parallel with the floor.

I cant make up my mind, either i go with aluminium and anodise or steel and powder coat. Ideally the anodised aluminium finish should match the 800 Diamonds that are on their way. However its quite a bit more expensive compared to the steel powder coat finish.

I will be placing my CA5300 and CA2300 on plynths between the mains and the center channel and they will be finished in a satin black and aluminium look powder coat.

Either i make the center channel stand match the plynths or the 800Diamonds base. Either option is a compromise of some sort.

Comment

• windshear
                            • Dec 2004

A test fitting. The pillars are flawed from the anodising process, so needs to be sorted.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Rod#S
                              • Oct 2010

Wow, that's a beautiful stand for the HTM1D.
                              B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"