X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JargonGR
    • Feb 2009

HTM1D Stand Ideas - Post here

Hi,

I was thinking about raising my HTM1D from the floor by about 15-18" and I am now trying to think what the best option would be both aesthetically and acoustically.

I went to a machinery shop which only constructs custom HT material like lifts, speaker stands and many more sophisticated devices. The guy that runs that place is a mechanical engineer and designs everything in 3D first then using CNC and laser cutting so precision is given. He has also worked for Barco and has a deep knowledge of front projection which makes communication very easy regarding our hobby.

I showed him the B&W stand of the HTM2D and asked whether we could copy the exact design but in a larger scale for the HTM1D. Unfortunately, the B&W case plate because of its design would require a mould and for one piece only the cost is prohibitive. It would take about 300 pieces to make the costs worthwhile so I am leaving this out of the question.

But since I do not like giving up, I am now thinking of ordering the base with a flat bottom and constructing another base made of mdf that will allow carving to the shape of the original B&W base. Painting to a car painter will make it look neat as well so this is not an issue.

I am also considering other ideas like for example discarding the B&W design altogether and make a stand (black) with two or 4 tubes but with enough spacing in between so my dedicated to this speaker amp fits in.

Last, is there any chance that someone has a footprint sketch of the base of HTM1D?
  • kallagtunet
    • Jan 2008

MDF with same profile as HTM1D vovererd with speaker fabric. Looks like someting that could be produced by B&W :-D
    Attached Files

Comment

• JargonGR
      • Feb 2009

I want to raise the speaker by 35cm which means about 17 sheets of 2cm MDF and I can't imagine the wait. How thick is yours which looks very nice btw.

Comment

• kallagtunet
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by JargonGR
        I want to raise the speaker by 35cm which means about 17 sheets of 2cm MDF and I can't imagine the wait. How thick is yours which looks very nice btw.
        It is 25 cm. 10 Sheets of 2,5 cm mdf not ecpecially expencive or difficult to make (one efternoons work if you have the tools). Sat the HTM1D on the mdf sheet and drawed a line round it. Cut the 10 sheets like the first, glued them together and covered it by fabric, and yes it is heavy, but that is not a bad ting... 35 cm will probably weight less than the HTMID :-D

Comment

• JargonGR
          • Feb 2009

I have lots of tools so this is not an extra cost for me and yes the MDF is also not expensive.

I see that you have left the spikes on and apart from the fact that they can be used for the needed tilting of the speaker, I was wondering whether laying the speaker on its belly, directly on a flat surface, would have and adverse effects on its sound.

Comment

• Oddiophile
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by kallagtunet
            MDF with same profile as HTM1D vovererd with speaker fabric. Looks like someting that could be produced by B&W :-D
            How odd that this thread should come up now. I just received my HTM1D and was talking to my dealer about this. He told me that B&W looked into a special stand but found the cost too prohibitive as they did not sell enough of them to amortize the cost.

I had built a riser for a TV stand which raised it up about 6 inches. That was made of plywood, 2X4s and carpet. When I got a better TV stand I was able to use it for the HTM1D and it seems to do the job and not look too bad.

I am considering buying another GreatGramma platform from Auralex and putting it on top of the riser. I have a couple for my 2 B&W ASW-855 subs and they work great. They are lightweight but strong acoustic isolation platforms designed to hold recording studio equipment up to 300 pounds and are just the right dimensions for the HTM1D. They are cheap at under $300.00 U.S. from Sweetwater.com. Search GreatGramma or Auralex on their website for further information. A couple of audio magazines including (as I recall) Stereophile have made positive comments about them.

My $.02 CDN.

Jim

Comment

• kallagtunet
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by JargonGR
              I have lots of tools so this is not an extra cost for me and yes the MDF is also not expensive.

I see that you have left the spikes on and apart from the fact that they can be used for the needed tilting of the speaker, I was wondering whether laying the speaker on its belly, directly on a flat surface, would have and adverse effects on its sound.
              For tilting and for decoupling. The spikes are very adjustable in height and very sturdy

Comment

• JargonGR
                • Feb 2009

Oh yes I use the spikes right now that I have it on the floor.

Update: I just had the chance to see a Plexiglass stand today for the HTM2D (700 Euros second hand) but eventually I did not like the idea of using plexi.

I will give it some thought for further design ideas as well as the use of materials like granite.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                  • May 2004

kallagtunet: can you post more pics of your room, I've always loved that setup of yours and would love to see the rest of the room. That room is just so "MAN", very well put together.

Comment

• B_W_Guy
                    • Jun 2009

Man That's A Nice Set Up!!!!

Comment

• kallagtunet
                      • Jan 2008

Here are some more pics.

Sorry for the OT...
                      Attached Files

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Here's an idea for you. I know it's different but you have to admit it would cheer the room up and for WAF you'll notice it also matches the sparkly ceiling!

Nigel.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• JargonGR
                          • Feb 2009

Ok I finally I concluded on how I am going to build this thing. I will make a bottom plate of about 2-3 inches thickness made of MDF so I can carve it like the bottom of the stand for the HTM2D. Then I will fit on top of that a metal stand like the on of the HT2D.

I will try to start on the base soon.

Comment

• KODG MAN
                            • Jan 2009

Ht Room

Originally posted by kallagtunet
                            Here are some more pics.

Sorry for the OT...
                            I LIKE IT IT, I HAVE BASICALLY THE SAME SET-UP W/THE SMALLER CENTER. THE JL AUDIO F-113 ARE A GREAT MATCH FOR THE 802DS!

IF I WOULD CHANGE ANTTHING IT WOULD BE THE RUGS ON THE WALLS! EVERTHING IS TOP NOTCH THAN THE RUGS!! GET SOME BLACK 1' 2X4 OR 4X8 SOUND PANELS & IT WOULD REALLY GIVE YOUR AWESOME SET-UP ARE FINISHED LOOK. JUST IMO!!

KODG

Comment

• William
                              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by KODG MAN
                              I LIKE IT IT, I HAVE BASICALLY THE SAME SET-UP W/THE SMALLER CENTER. THE JL AUDIO F-113 ARE A GREAT MATCH FOR THE 802DS!

IF I WOULD CHANGE ANTTHING IT WOULD BE THE RUGS ON THE WALLS! EVERTHING IS TOP NOTCH THAN THE RUGS!! GET SOME BLACK 1' 2X4 OR 4X8 SOUND PANELS & IT WOULD REALLY GIVE YOUR AWESOME SET-UP ARE FINISHED LOOK. JUST IMO!!

KODG
                              No need to scream or is your keyboard stuck? 8O

Comment

• Hammie
                                • Oct 2005

If you decide to construct something out of MDF and 2x4's, make sure you pickup some polyfill and stuff the underside with it. This will help dampen it from vibrations. You can pick it up really cheap at Wal-Mart. I will be doing something similar for my sub riser. I just need to finalize the design and finish some other projects around the house.

Not sure why, but KODG uses CAPS on all forums that he is in. :shrug:
                                Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                                Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                                Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                                Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                                B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                                Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                                My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                                Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• kallagtunet
                                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by KODG MAN

KODG
                                  Already done, but pictures not updated yet. Much better than rugs :-D

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"