Should I add a new PV1 sub to my current setup?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlueSander
    • Apr 2008

Should I add a new PV1 sub to my current setup?

Hi everyone,
    Right now, I have N802s as my front and HTM1 center. I came across a good deal on a used but 10/10 condition PV1 sub from its original owner. I'm very tempting on getting the Sub to try it out. What are you guys' takes on this?
    Thanks,

PS: I'm using 1075 amp right now. that's probably why sometimes, I do feel the 802 isn't putting out enough bass. Looking at CA-3200 or CA-5100 for my next upgrade. :T
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

BlueSander,

How big is your room? If it's fairly large, then the PV1 would be good. Even if not too big, you've noticed a lack of bass with the 1075. This doesn't surprise me. Not that the 1075 is poor, it's not. It's just the N802's love current, and a 1075 can only do so much. So the PV1 might be a good idea anyways.

Your idea of the Classe upgrade is quite excellent. I would suggest the CA-3200 for the fronts. The 200 watts from Classe will be greatly appreciated by the front speakers. Use the 1075 to power the rears.

I had a Mac MC252 (250 watts stereo). My 802D's were quite excellent with this setup. I've since gone to the MC402 (400 watts stereo and HUGE current capability). Awesome when paired with my mains.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• scanido
      • Apr 2006

i would get the larger amp than the PV1 sub. You'd be surprised at how much bass those 802's can put out. Likely also a lot better quality bass than the PV1 with the right amp.

Comment

• Charlieu
        • Oct 2008

One thing to consider is that even though your mains have the ability to go low, more than likely they are not in the optimal position to give you the best bass. A subwoofer gives you more latitude in placement so you are able to work with it to get a smoother frequency response. The bass frequencies are the hardest thing to get right in an audio system. A subwoofer helps a lot.

Comment

• BlueSander
          • Apr 2008

Thanks for the opinions guys. I do believe I will get the most out upgrading the amp, however, I do believe in what Charlieu said also. I'm going to get this transaction done and try the sub out. It's a great deal so I'm sure I can get most of what I paid back if I'm not completely satisfied.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"