Floorstanders or bookshelves for surrounds?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nirvana_1911
    • Mar 2011

Floorstanders or bookshelves for surrounds?

Is it worth the money getting floorstanders over bookshelves for surrounds in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup? Particularly in the 600/CM and not the 800 series?
    Also, the price of the FS700 + 685's is comparable to the 693's and the price of the FS700 + CM5's is comparble to the CM8's.
    Speaker stands and bookshelves are still the cheaper alternative to floorstanders though.
    I mainly play 1080p mkv's from HTPC.
    I heard that isn't not worth it because of the "full range" of a floorstander not being utilized or required, and the surround channels are mainly for the surround effect.
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by nirvana_1911
    Is it worth the money getting floorstanders over bookshelves for surrounds in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup?

I mainly play 1080p mkv's from HTPC.

I heard that isn't not worth it because of the "full range" of a floorstander not being utilized or required, and the surround channels are mainly for the surround effect.
    A good question. My experience has been different. I love towers as rear speakers. They bring a balance and system synergy to the whole setup.

And especially now with the HD Audio formats on Blu Ray, I find the towers to be well used and very effective.

The first important issue is speaker synergy. So getting rear speakers from the same line as your fronts is key. Then the towers vs. bookshelf issue comes into play.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• nirvana_1911
      • Mar 2011

I'll keep it in mind, it was more of a cost vs. benefit thing for me, as I'm budget conscious.
      I'm also considering 5.1 with CM8's for rears versus 7.1 with CM5's for sides and rears, this is another thing I need to work out.

Comment

• emig5m
        • Aug 2008

I think bookshelves are fine. I use 685s in the rear with 804S/HTM3S up front and especially after Audyssey and then running test sounds that sweep from channel to channel they really all sound pretty much identical. But I think the current 600 series and the former S series 800's are an exception to the rule as far as matching same series and have a very similar sound. Even the tweeter domes themselves look identical. I think the tech from the S series 800's where used in the current 600's (trickle down effect) that's why the 600's perform as well as they do! Too bad the 600's didn't have an equal quality center speaker!

I think you would be perfectly fine with bookshelves and they would also give you more versatility to place (on wall, on shelf, on stand, etc...)

Comment

• nirvana_1911
          • Mar 2011

Thanks emig5m, your input is appreciated, it's the kind of useful info I'm looking for.
          You too htsteve.
          I really have to upgrade my source gear first and do some listening before I set a goal and commit to buying the floorstanders or bookshelves for surrounds.

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

I would say that the most important thing is that all the speakers are the same model and size, using the same drivers of the same size and composition. That will get you seamless sound. Obviously, you cannot use a floor standing speaker as a center channel so right there, using floorstanders is a compromise unless the drivers within the center speaker are the same size and composition as the tower drivers. The center is by far the most important speaker as well. do not skimp on the center speaker. Get the best you can afford!.
            Dan Madden :T

Comment

• htsteve
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by nirvana_1911
              I'll keep it in mind, it was more of a cost vs. benefit thing for me, as I'm budget conscious.
              I'm also considering 5.1 with CM8's for rears versus 7.1 with CM5's for sides and rears, this is another thing I need to work out.

I certainly understand the cost benefit side of things. That's why bookshelfs from the same line are an appealing option. It maintains system synergy.

As to 5.1 vs. 7.1, I like discreet channels. I don't mind matrixed channels (the 6th and 7th channels in 7.1), but much prefer 5.1 as they match correctly the soundtrack.

In your situation, I would prefer a 5.1 CM setup, to a 7.1 600 series setup.

Hope this helps.
              Last edited by htsteve; 12 June 2011, 11:43 Sunday.

Comment

• dukester
                • Sep 2010

For me it came down to $$ and space. I ended up with bookshelf M1's after auditioning them against bigger speakers and decided that the differences in sound were not worth the difference in price. Rather, I spent my money on a quality center/sub...the center goes without saying but quality sub-bass makes more of an impact to me than quality surrounds. Not to say surrounds aren't important, just that I concentrated on my preference.
                McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"