X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • graffen
    • Nov 2007

help selecting amp to connect 10.2 Bose floorstanders to my PC

Hello --

I've been gifted with two 3' high Bose 10.2 floorstanders, and I would like to hook them up to my PC's sound card.

I've learned that this is possible by acquiring an amplifier which has PC-like inputs. I have no idea how to go about buying this amplifier.

Here's what I know:
    The Bose 10.2 floorstanders have an impedance of 4 ohms. Means nothing to me though.
    Wattage is not listed on the metal stamp of the 10.2 speakers.

Now, my dream would be to be able to integrate these 10.2 speakers into my existing 5.1 sound PC desktop speakers. In other words, I am wondering if such an amplifier exists such that of my 5.1 sound ...
    (a) FL/FR/Center could be routed to my existing PC desktop speakers.
    (b) RL/RR could be routed to the Bose 10.2 speakers.

This implies that the amplifier would have both PC-like outputs and also old stereo wire outputs.

Does such an amplifier exist? Can you make suggestions to make/model? How does impedance affect what I purchase?

Thanks very much for any help!!
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

All you need is (basically) a receiver from any of your favorite manufacturers, yamaha, denon, rotel, onkyo, etc... Then hook it up like you normally would with the outputs from the PC going into the receiver.

Should be it.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• graffen
      • Nov 2007

Thank you for replying. I have only the Bose 10.2 speakers -- and nothing else. I have never owned an amplifier or a receiver. This is good, in a sense, because I get to start fresh and (hopefully) purchase the one piece of equipment (an amp, I guess?) which does the trick.

On that note ... is an amplifier a receiver, or can you get a receiver which is also an ampliphier, etc?

I think I have learned enough to mention a piece of equipment and description. As I understand the plan below, it would provide only 2 channels of audio, but that might do the trick given that I only want the Bose 10.2s to be my Rear Right and Read Left.

Please doublecheck me here on what I am going to try to pull off is a 5.1 sound, as follows:

(1) From the green sound card output --> existing desktop PC speaker

(2) From the yellow sound card output --> existing desktop PC speaker FL & FR

(3) From the black sound card output --> a miniplug-to-RCA adapter --> pair of RCA interconnect cables --> an amplifier --> traditional stereo speaker wire --> into Bose 10.2s

What do you think? I accept all corrections because I am simply piecing my learning together!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"