I realize it's not ideal, but could a Cambridge 640A v2 drive 804S's?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdavis
    • May 2011

I realize it's not ideal, but could a Cambridge 640A v2 drive 804S's?

For the time being, I won't be able to upgrade my amp, and I'd like to get an idea as to whether it's even possible to get ok-ish results using a Cambridge Audio 640A V2 (75 Watts at 8 ohm) on a pair of 804S. Has anyone done this? I wouldn't be listening at mega loud volume levels.
  • Skyblue
    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by mdavis
    For the time being, I won't be able to upgrade my amp, and I'd like to get an idea as to whether it's even possible to get ok-ish results using a Cambridge Audio 640A V2 (75 Watts at 8 ohm) on a pair of 804S. Has anyone done this? I wouldn't be listening at mega loud volume levels.
    Why not? I ran a couple of 802 d2 on a 740A 100 watts per channel @8 ohms. It sounded very nice.

Now, I have little doubt that bigger amps will get you better sound, but I think you could be satisfied plenty with the 640. From your post in the electronics thread, I guess you already own one? Then use that, until you find something better
    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• mdavis
      • May 2011

Thanks, I was hoping to read something like this!

The key question is, do I risk damaging the speaker if its being driven by something that's underpowered?

Comment

• Skyblue
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by mdavis
        Thanks, I was hoping to read something like this!

The key question is, do I risk damaging the speaker if its being driven by something that's underpowered?
        I have no idea. But you probably wouldnt want to turn it all up.
        B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• stuofsci02
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

mdavis,

As long as you are not going to go way loud you will be fine. I am not saying that upgrading to something with more power won't be beneficial, but for the time being enjoy.

BTW I have run my 804s off of a 50wpc NAD power amp, and even more crazy, I also ran them off a Chord Scamp which is only 40 wpc into 4 ohms (so even less into 8 ohms). And I will tell you this. That Chord Scamp sounded amazing...

Check this out.. This is not me BTW..

The Chordette Scamp is a 2 x 40W stereo amplifier with USB DAC. It has 1 x RCA and 1 x USB input with selector switch. There is also a Mono Switch. This tur...
          Main System:
          B&W 801D
          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
          Oppo BDP-105
          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
          B&W CM7
          Emotiva UMC-1
          Emotiva UPA-2
          Oppo BDP-83SE
          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Enjoy the music now and worry about a new amplifier later. Your ears will tell you if turning it up too loud is causing distortion.

Nigel.

Comment

• Briz vegas
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Great thing about the 804s is that they can grow with you.

Mine are part of a .............I don't even want to think how expensive my setup is now. They sound ok with basic gear, but they tell you about every future upgrade and reward you.

For those who say 804 are too revealing for bad recording, get this on CD and play it (I ripped the CD and play the file but same thing really). If it sounds bad then sorry, you need to keeping working on your ancillaries and your room. It sounds brilliant on my 804s, and believe me my system is revealing. The vocals are full and natural, its like he's in the room, and the hiss just floats away from the music so it does not detract from the enjoyment. I even like to use this track to demo my system because it is such a "bad" recording.

Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
              Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"