X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayz
    • May 2010

803S + Chord 1200C

I am looking to upgrade my hifi, been looking at a used pair of 803S's and a Chord 1200C power amp.
    The first questions is, can anyone comment on my choice?

My plan is to feed my logitec transporter directly to the Chord, adding a pre-amp would go over my budget just now.
    So the second question is, has anyone tried feeding a power amp directly from a front end source, as I understand most music streamers these days have basic in-built pre-amplification.

Any comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks
  • pazu
    • Nov 2009

Hi jayz.

I've a pair of 803S and I love these loudspeakers.

Chord is a very good mark, but I don't know the amplifier which you think to drive your 803S.

I drive my 803S with an italian, hybrid amplifier "Unison Unico 100" and imho the result is amazing.

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

I can vouch for Chord and B&W... I love the sound....

I would be concerned however about using the Logitech Music Server as a preamp also... If the volume is controlled in the digital domain I think you will find it does not sound good..
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Orb
        • Aug 2008

I had the Chord 1200E and IMO it is one of the best amps I have had at that price, one of its greatest strengths is that it can make the B&W speakers come alive even at low sound levels, and at any level the sound is incredibly stable and balanced.
        For some it may come across slightly lean or cool, this may seem a bit unfair but it does not have the slight warmth the good Class A amps do, however I can safely say it plays all my albums without niggles and that is something my Musical Fidelity Class A KW550 Integrated could never do.
        With everything considered, it is a keeper amp and I would still have it if it was not for the fact I decided upon the Devialet that just came around at the time I was about to buy Chord's expensive reference preamp (was always long term plan).
        So the amp itself never gave me upgradeitus.

However, as Stu mentions I really think connecting a source directly to this amp would give you fatigue/sound poor to average.
        Nothing to do with the Chord amp itself as I would say you would experience exactly the same with similar high quality amps such as Krell and others that are on the neutral-lean side.
        Do not let the lean comment put you off the amp itself as it is a more positive experience than what it comes over as, just this style of presentation will highlight weaknesses with source directly connected.

Hope this helps.
        Orb

Comment

• jayz
          • May 2010

Guys, thanks for your feedback. I have another question if you don't mind...

What would you recommend as the least expensive pre amp which would work best my setup? Or to put it in another way, which budget pre-amp do you think would have the least detrimental effect on this setup? Basically my dilemma is that my current budget is severely restricted, barely enough to get the amp and speakers so a proper pre amp is out of the question.

Transporter -> pre amp -> Chord 1200C -> B&W 803S

Comment

• stuofsci02
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

I have heard awesome things about the Emotiva USP-1 preamp ($399 US).. That said I am waiting for the XSP-1 so I can make use of full range HT bypass...
            Main System:
            B&W 801D
            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
            Oppo BDP-105
            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
            B&W CM7
            Emotiva UMC-1
            Emotiva UPA-2
            Oppo BDP-83SE
            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• jayz
              • May 2010

Hi Stu, A very good suggestion indeed, thanks. I've been reading a few reviews on XPA-1 and sounds like it could be a good match for the 803s. That way I could have Chord 1200x as a future upgrade option. The main issue with Emotiva is that I will get hit by shipping and UK custom fees. Then there is the whole issue of how a 5yr warranty would work in the UK, just because the items will be very heavy in case they would need repair.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

I suggest you still get the Chord Amp... Just consider the Emotiva Preamp is funds are short...

Originally posted by jayz
                Hi Stu, A very good suggestion indeed, thanks. I've been reading a few reviews on XPA-1 and sounds like it could be a good match for the 803s. That way I could have Chord 1200x as a future upgrade option. The main issue with Emotiva is that I will get hit by shipping and UK custom fees. Then there is the whole issue of how a 5yr warranty would work in the UK, just because the items will be very heavy in case they would need repair.
                Main System:
                B&W 801D
                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                Oppo BDP-105
                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                B&W CM7
                Emotiva UMC-1
                Emotiva UPA-2
                Oppo BDP-83SE
                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Orb
                  • Aug 2008

Chord do also supply the pro world in USA, so I would strongly suggest sending a PM to Chord Electronics about support and what happens with regards to faults/shipping.
                  Also you could send a seperate email to Bluebird (think thats their name), the USA distributor.
                  I have to say they are one of the best built products I know, possibly a reflection of their pro background.

Cheers
                  Orb

Comment

• jayz
                    • May 2010

Thanks guys for your feedback - Stu & Orb. Your point takens, I will stick to Chord for the Power Amplification.

BTW, Stu you mentioned XSP-1, emotiva forums speak of a balanced pre-amp which could be beneficial to me considering my source and Chord 1200c. Do you have any idea when the XSP-1 would be available? Emotiva customer services were very helpful for general inquiries but seem to throw questions on XSP-1 to the "ignore bin"

Comment

• Orb
                      • Aug 2008

Well you raise a good point about support, before deciding sticking with Chord or in fact any pre/pro it would be ideal to email the manufacturer and the distributor.
                      While I am fully confident in the Chord build (it is really impressive), it is always good to know what to expect for support if something did go wrong.

Here is the link for the USA distributor (assuming that is where you are)

Cheers
                      Orb

Comment

• stuofsci02
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2009

Thanks guys for your feedback - Stu & Orb. Your point takens, I will stick to Chord for the Power Amplification.

BTW, Stu you mentioned XSP-1, emotiva forums speak of a balanced pre-amp which could be beneficial to me considering my source and Chord 1200c. Do you have any idea when the XSP-1 would be available? Emotiva customer services were very helpful for general inquiries but seem to throw questions on XSP-1 to the "ignore bin"
                        I would think sometime in the next 6 months for the XSP-1, but no one really knows...
                        Main System:
                        B&W 801D
                        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                        Oppo BDP-105
                        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                        B&W CM7
                        Emotiva UMC-1
                        Emotiva UPA-2
                        Oppo BDP-83SE
                        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"