Pair of DM602s3 and what to do with them...?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Pair of DM602s3 and what to do with them...?

Okay,

So I have a second pair of 602s3s and I'm thinking of taking the crossover apart and doing a full point to point instead of the curcuit board for the crossover that's in there.

I'm tempted to do it just to see what kind of a different it *might* make...

Just curious if you guys think it's worth it or not to even attempt doing something like this.

I figure I won't get a whole lot of money from them and I've already re-wired them and silver soldered the wires to the drivers and that made a very noticeable change (blind test confirmed)...

So now I'm thinking if I take the crossover and move it to a point to point and get rid of the cheap board it might even improve more...

I'm just sort of board (pun intended) and figured it'd be something to see if it makes a difference or not. If not, then all I'm out is the wire to make the change and possibly a non-working speaker... though I doubt that due to the fact that they aren't a complex crossover by any stretch of the imagination.

Just wanted to get your thoughts/opinions on what to do with a spare/not used set of speakers.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Perhaps. But I actually like the Series 3 crossover. I've only had a long period with the 600, 601, and two weeks of the 602.

I did the wire mod to my 600 S3. While I was doing the wire mod, I had the RME 9632 soundcard in my HTPC. I tested out going straight from the RME to amp to speaker cones (no crossover in place). Though the tweeter and woofer had its own amp channel, I can't say I really liked it much. It could have been the fact that I probably did not set up the RME 9632 to the best configs. I just used the frequency range that was posted for the 600 S3 on the B&W website. Not really anything else. I only played with it for a few minutes. However, when I finished wiring the crossover back up, I actually enjoyed that sound more than when I had an active bi-amp setup.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Actually, I was going to do the wire mod to my Klipsch reference bookshelf speakers. When I opened to speaker to prep, I noticed that Klipsch uses egg crate foam instead of the typical polyfill. So I started to wonder, which is better? Should I redo the B&W 600 with egg crate foam? Or should I redo the Klipsch with polyfill?

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Too a 602 apart (it's one I had soldered one of the connector plugs onto the crossover due to breaking it before (flaw in the metal). So I got it apart and traced out where everything is going. I think I'm going to drill out the holes on the crossover board and the use wire to connect all the points instead of the cheap metal that is used on the crossover board itself.

I'm going to do this one speaker and see what it sounds like and then go from there if I do any of the other ones.

I just realized though that I'm out of WBT Silver solder, so I had to order more, so it looks like this speaker is going to sit apart for a week or so until the solder arrives. Arghhh. Like all my plans I have to wait to accomplish things.

Better improve the speakers after all of this! ha ha.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by PewterTA
          Took a 602 apart (it's one I had soldered one of the connector plugs onto the crossover due to breaking it before (flaw in the metal).
          Yeah, I know what you meant. I did the mod to my B&W 600 S3 after reading your post about rewiring.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"