Help choosing equipment for my first real HT setup?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaperMacWriter
    • Apr 2011

Help choosing equipment for my first real HT setup?

Hello everybody! I'm new to, not only this site, but the world of fine audio. I'm very much a newbie in this category, but I hope to evolve my knowledge as the years go by. But I digress; I come here searching for advice for speakers. While I have not experienced many other competing high end speakers, I did have a chance to hear some at a friends a little while back, and they blew me away. They also seem to have a reputation of being high-permorming for the price and having a very real, natural sound.

I'm hoping to find something in the not-too-expensive range - a moderate budget, something under 2k. I realize in the world of high-end audio that can't buy much, but I'm hoping with some guidance I might find some affordable gems. I really want a natural sound, something as close to the recording as possible. Nice, full bass, but nothing overpowering or unnatural. The kinds of music I listen to vary greatly, from Dvorak to Gershwin The Beatles to Daft Punk. The setup is going in a small, somewhat crowded room (it's also my bedroom - I don't have a ton of living space), if that affects speaker choice. My all-time favorite recording is Rhapsody in Blue performed by Bernstein (on vinyl, my favorite record), if that's any indication of stylistic preferences.

Sorry if this is overly vague and/or posted in the wrong section of the site - I'm hoping I found the right place, and eagerly await ideas

~M
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

You might give some thought to used audio gear. In the past, I've sold stuff I've purchased, and all the items I have are almost indistinguishable from new items. There are some GREAT finds to be had that way.

Just to confirm, this is for primarily/only music?

Finally, you said speakers. What are you using for electronics/source? I ask because I've heard some great speakers (803D, not 803Di) sound very generic on inexpensive electronics (a ~$600 Yamaha receiver). A capable amplifier can make a huge difference.

As an entry system, you should consider an integrated amp or a receiver (depending on your needs/desires).

Comment

• PaperMacWriter
      • Apr 2011

I'd be more than happy with a good used system - do you know where a good place to look is (as someone who's sold speakers before, where do you tend to sell them?)? Is there a specific line I should be looking for, or is most everything by B&W going to be ear-pleasing?

Music is the primary usage, my computer may occasionally be hooked up to them and maybe somewhere down the line a TV, but music comes first.

I don't have anything too great right now - I have an old Sony amp, but it won't wow anybody. Integrated sounded about right from what I read about them - McIntosh seems to be the big brand for amps if I did my homework. Is there something specific I should look for there as well? Any brands that offer superior performance to the dollar, or are just particularly nice?

Thank you so much for the help I really appreciate it.

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

PaperMacWriter,

First of all, welcome to the forum! :T

B&W speakers are certainly a good place to start. I started with good bookshelfs and over many years have progressed to my current 802D's.

The $2k budget you mentioned, is that just for speakers? Or does that include some electronics?

If all for speakers, then the 600 series towers (683 and 684) are definitely in the budget. I also think with a little discount, the CM8 might be in play.

Also, the CM5 is a very good bookshelf speaker that would be very nice.

If that budget is for both electronics, then the 683 plus a Rotel integrated would be pretty good.

Rotel has very nice bang for the buck.

You mentioned McIntosh. You will likely need to look at used to keep costs down. Macs offer awesome performance (my electronics are all Mac's), plus a pretty steep price.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"