Zeppelin Air get and problems, how to fix them?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MeroLIVE
    • Mar 2011

Zeppelin Air get and problems, how to fix them?

I've just get the Air Zeppelin in an apple retail store in italy.

the packaging and the product are amazing but the setup and lackness of informations are totally awful.

You have to connect your pc/mac (I've got a macbook) to the device with a ethernet cable, after that you have to put the IP adress of the device in a browser and pair the device with your home wifi network (I tought the AZ could work separately from you home network). then the setup is complete; pretty simple isn't it?

the problem is that while you try to use the AirPlay for iTunes (even with iPhone streaming) sometimes the mac/pc (and iphone) desn't recognize the wifi of the zeppelin and the icon of AirPlay doesn't show..... and even when it shows (and is really rare) there is no way to let the zeppelin play music for more than 1 second and then it stops.

I've tried to reset the device and do the procedure again, several times but with no better results.

do you know what kind of mistake could I've done?

and again....... to play the music while a device (iphone in this case) is ON the dock what do I have to do? just manually choose a song in the device and play? because when I do this the sound will come out from the iPhone.

please answer because is very difficult to find any kind of support from B&W.
    and apple doesn't know nothing about this....

I've just spent 599 euros (not $ unfortunately) and I'm very worried

thanks to anyone who will try to figure it out!
  • BdoUK
    • Sep 2007

Mero,

I just purchased my Zeppelin Air yesterday but I'm not having any of the issues you're describing. I did notice that B&Ws website already has a firmware update available for the Zeppelin Air. You might want to download and install that using the instructions on the website and see if your problems persist.

Comment

• Audio_ElF
      • Oct 2007

How close is your Zeppelin to your wireless router? It could be a signal problem. If at all possible, try a long Ethernet cable between the router and the Zeppelin. Also, are you using wireless between your computer an the router or is that a wired connection. It would also be worth moving the Zeppelin close to the router.

If you've got a connection sometimes, then it sounds like you've configured the Zeppelin correctly. It sounds like the problem OS with your wireless signal.

It may be worth doing Factory reset on the Zeppelin and starting the setup again.

Have you seen the support page on Bowers and Wilkins website: http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/iPod...r/Support.html

Eloise

Comment

• MeroLIVE
        • Mar 2011

Thank you for your reply and sorry if I respond just now but I was away for the weekend.
        By the way I went to the apple store with the zeppelin to get some clarification.
        They obviously didn't know nothing about the product and how to solve the problem but with patience we tried to set up my zeppelin in the apple store to look if there was an hardware problem.
        with my surprise all went fine, the zeppelin began to play both from my iphone and from my mac.
        I sent a mail to B&W and they answered that the problem is my router and to change it :O
        I just got a US Robotics router from a friend and tonight I will try to change everything to see if it works.....

I'm a little worried that the problem is not the router but the signal from my time capsule..... by the way the zeppelin and the router are less than 2 feet each other.

I will let you know if I fix it!

Comment

• Audio_ElF
          • Oct 2007

If it's 2 foot from router to Zeppelin, the. Why not try an Ethernet cable?

Eloise

Comment

• MeroLIVE
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Audio_ElF
            If it's 2 foot from router to Zeppelin, the. Why not try an Ethernet cable?

Eloise

yes you are right, I haven't tried it..... so how it works with a wired configuration?

just connect the zeppelin to a router/time capsule with the ethernet and then the airplay stuff on the mac/iphone works the same?????

Tonight I will try even this setup

Comment

• Audio_ElF
              • Oct 2007

Zeppelin wired setup is described on Page 7 of the manual.

Comment

• MeroLIVE
                • Mar 2011

Ok..... yesterday night was the zeppelin air setup night lol.
                I almost made it.

The problem in my configuration wasn't the router as I tought all the time and even B&W told me.
                The problem was a TIME CAPSULE.... there was interference between them.

as I unplugged the TC and did the reset/setup again everything went fine.
                I still have few issues:

- I have a yamaha soundbar ( http://tinyurl.com/4pu6kj ), and the woofer is in wifi with the bar. when I connect those 2 togheter I have some problem with the home network (router and internet too), and when this happen the Zeppelin doens't want to get back the connection to the home network, even if the soundbar is already powered off.

- If I leave the Zeppelin ON (with the solid purple light on) but while no playing music after 30 minutes the solid purple light began to flash and an error box shows up in iTunes in the mac, then you need to reset/setup, I think is a firewalling/security problem on the router, but I don't have a static IP and I don't know what ports open for iTunes, and google is not my friend in this case.

- Regarding the wired setup in page 7 and to use this configuration is a little confusing.
                The setup is almost the same as others, and at the end you have to choose you home wireless network; after the setup the zeppelin will work even wirelessy and even if you keep an ethernet cable between zeppelin and router this seem to have no any kind of improvement.... just look like the zeppelin doesn't care that is plugged directly to the router.

I haven't tried yet the new router because when I half fixed my problems I began to listen some lessloss music with the zeppelin.... the performances are very good.
                by the way this product is litteraly a pain in the...... for the awful configuration...
                for 600 $ € or what else I WANT a plug and play product.

tonight new router setup... let's keep the finger crossed

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                  • Oct 2007

In the defence of B&W and the Zeppelin, it does sound like you have interference affecting your wireless network if "turning on the soundbar" causes the connection to drop. Wireless is theoretically plug and play, but in the real world there's so much potential for interference and various ways different companies implement the "standards" that things are very rarely staight forward.

I'd suspect for 99% of people the Zeppelin Air will be plug and play; for the others (unfortunately like you) it will be a royal pain in the a** with everything (router / Zeppelin / air in between) causing trouble for everything else. Read comments about most WiFi products and you'll find similar.

Eloise

PS You're right. Those "wired" setup instructions were how to use a wired connection to join a wireless network. I've just sent a question to B&W asking if the Zeppelin Air can be connected via wired Ethernet.

Comment

• MeroLIVE
                    • Mar 2011

eheeh you're right.... this is totally a pain over there....

By the way the soundbar is a problem and have caused several problem.... I will try with the oter router tonight to see if I can solve the problem.

Probably you're right and for the 99% of people the zeppelin air will be an easy plug and play. There are few problems remaining for a device of such a value:

- In the box there are no manual of instruction, just 4 pages with lack of informations, for the REAL manual you have to go to B&W website

- the setup could be simpler

- the zeppelin doesn't have a real WIFI access.... you can just setup the device with a temporary wifi connection but you can't play while connected direct to your device. you NEED an home network.
                    for example. I'm going to a friend house in easter in Italy seaside and over there I won't have any home wifi network; will be impossibile to let the zeppelin communicate wifi with a laptop or an iphone because the zep NEED a connection... this is unaccettable. something like this maybe could cost B&W 5 dollar more in the production of this device but will give to the user a totally flawless connection.

thanks for the question to B&W.... I'm really interested to understand if there's a way to do a wired connection between router and the zep.

the quality of the sound is very good, yesterday I really enjoyed all the listening, I'm just looking a good store where to buy lossless music.
                    even here.... I don't understand why you can find even on the society of sound (the high-quality store of b&w) the 24-bit flac files and you can't read them with iTunes so you can't play them with the zeppelin (maybe just for other devices).

sigh..... tonight again with the new router.... I just hope to don't mess up things

Comment

• MeroLIVE
                      • Mar 2011

ok.....

last update.

Yesterday I changed the router with an old one (not N technology but just G)......
                      the result is..... NO INTERFERENCE BETWEEN nothing..... soundbar is ok, timecapsule is ok and most important the Zeppelin its ok.
                      Is still little annoyng to set up everything.... it's evident that B&W have some lackness in wifi/routing/settings know-how.

by the way even if I still have some drop-out during the streaming (while I'm walking a little away from the zep) the device sound is GREAT. I'm enjoyng some lossless music, I have unfortunately most MP3 and some of them 128kbps and thery're quite poor in the zeppelin..... I've to look around to find out some easy buy/download lossless quality files

thanks to everyone

p.s. If you have a N router watch out when you purchase the AZ

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                        • Oct 2007

Just to confirm... I got a reply from B&W and the Zeppelin Air can be wired direct to a router. You should just need a standard Ethernet cable (the one supplied is a crossover type I believe). the Zeppelin will then pick up an IP address and be seen by iTunes as AirPlay device. You may need to reset to factory defaults.

Eloise

Comment

• payotte
                          • May 2011

Problems with zeppelin air

I bought may zeppelin air in april 2011. It worked about right for a month, although I would loose the configuration whenever the microwave oven would be operated at the same time as the zeppelin was on. I would then have to go through the procedure again to configure it for the wifi connection.

But now it stopped working I cannot configure it again. I tried pretty much everything including resetting the unit. When I am at the last step of the configuration, instead of going from flashing purple to solid purple, it goes to flashing red.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comment

• Charmade
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by MeroLIVE
                            ...the zeppelin doesn't have a real WIFI access.... you can just setup the device with a temporary wifi connection but you can't play while connected direct to your device. you NEED an home network. ...
                            That is not true. I am using my ZA over its temporary WiFi connection AND IT WORKS! You don't need any router! I have been streaming the ZA over my Mac, my iPhone and over my iPad.

Just make sure to choose the "Zeppelin_Air_Setup_XXXXXX" as the home network during the setup. Choose any name you want for the ZA itself. Click on "join" and once the ZA's LED is shining purple, turn off and on your ZA again.

The light now blinks purple and you have to wait for it to blink yellow (yes, you have to be patient for a minute or so). Then choose the WiFi network "Zeppelin_Air_Setup_XXXXXX" with your Mac/PC/iPhone/iPod/iPad and eventually your ZA will show up the iTunes/iPod application. And yes, it does not work flawlessly, I guess the B&W engineers still have to do their homework on WiFi and Airplay, because sometimes you need switch off and start up the network on both sides for the devices to find each other.

ANYWAY, perfect when you're bringing your ZA to a party and forgot your router ;-)

Some notes: I have the latest firmware v1.1.3. There is no password, no security, that's true, but there is nothing to hack except for the ZA (unless your devices share resources without password).

Comment

• mistabraz
                              • Aug 2011

Hi im having a couple of problems which are driving me mad about this zeppelin air... anyone has an idea how to fix?

(1) I cant get the Zeppelin to connect to my computer, be it via ethernet or wirelessly. When I turn it on it does not stop flashing purple. It never turns into yellow or solid purple - simply flashes purple forever. The first time I connected I was able to connect it to my computer via the ethernet cable, but I connected it to the wrong wireless network. Since then I cant get the computer to connect to the Zeppelin.

(2) The factory reset button does not work. I wait for more than 60 seconds etc, but pressing the button for 2 or 10 or 50 seconds does not reset the Zeppelin.

Any ideas?? thanks

Comment

• normundo
                                • Oct 2011

I have the same problem

Hi I have the same problem as you described and I just bought the ZA, were you able to fix it in the end? I have sent an email to B & W and tomorrow will call Apple Store in Dubai where I bought the device. Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
                                Norman

Comment

• normundo
                                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by mistabraz
                                  Hi im having a couple of problems which are driving me mad about this zeppelin air... anyone has an idea how to fix?

(1) I cant get the Zeppelin to connect to my computer, be it via ethernet or wirelessly. When I turn it on it does not stop flashing purple. It never turns into yellow or solid purple - simply flashes purple forever. The first time I connected I was able to connect it to my computer via the ethernet cable, but I connected it to the wrong wireless network. Since then I cant get the computer to connect to the Zeppelin.

(2) The factory reset button does not work. I wait for more than 60 seconds etc, but pressing the button for 2 or 10 or 50 seconds does not reset the Zeppelin.

Any ideas?? thanks
                                  I have the same problem
                                  Hi I have the same problem as you described and I just bought the ZA, were you able to fix it in the end? I have sent an email to B & W and tomorrow will call Apple Store in Dubai where I bought the device. Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
                                  Norman

Comment

• mistabraz
                                    • Aug 2011

no, havent been able to fix it... and since I bought it at the free shop in london on my way back to brazil goodbye to technical assistance.

zeppelin air is a waste of money dont buy this piece of crap!!!

Comment

• Weetabix
                                      • Nov 2009

I have owned a Zeppelin Air since its release date and love it to bits.

Granted it's a little bit fiddly to set-up on the network and since moving to a larger house, have realised the distance limitations and neighbours networks conflicting with channels etc, but all easily resolvable and their technical support team has been absolutely superb in assisting with this.

May I suggest before posting comments of a defamatory nature against the product and not thinking of the consequences this could have on a company, think carefully.

B&W support have helped me out no-end and would recommend contacting them first to resolve any issues.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

• beefypigeon
                                        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by mistabraz
                                        no, havent been able to fix it... and since I bought it at the free shop in london on my way back to brazil goodbye to technical assistance.

zeppelin air is a waste of money dont buy this piece of crap!!!

Just out of interest... Have you contacted the company directly about this problem?

I had the exact same problem with my Zeppelin Air, although mine also flashed red at times as well.

I contacted Bowers & Wilkins directly and they helped in resolving the problem for me completely. Really helpful support team and they helped in getting things working in about 10 minutes!

I have to say I would be completely lost without my Zeppelin Air... unbelievable sound and would recommend to anyone.

Comment

• thorstent
                                          • Nov 2011

please post your 10 minute solution!

I have the same problem as mistabraz and normundo!

I contacted the support hours ago (interesting they solved it for you in 10 minutes. I got a mail like: we'll be back at you within 3 days...)

beefypigeon, please post the solution for endless falshing purple light / red flashing light you got from B&W !

Or is ther no solution...and its just marketing?

Comment

• beefypigeon
                                            • Nov 2011

Hi thorstent,

I decided to give them a ring directly rather than email them, and I was only about 10 minutes or so on the phone to them and they managed to resolve it in that time. I prefer talking to a person and getting it sorted straight away rather than waiting up to 3 days for an email - just personal preference really!

I can't remember the phone number off the top of my head but I found it on the Contact page on their website.

For me I needed to update the firmware on the Zeppelin Air, reset the speaker and set it up again. I think the firmware update fixed the red flashing light problem and then after that I needed to reset and set up again, after setting up this time it went to solid purple instead of just flash purple.

I'm sure if you have sent an email to them they'll get back to you shortly anyway, if their email support is as good as the phone support I'm sure they'll help fix it soon, thats if the above info doesn't help of course!

Now that it's set up and joined to my network it is working like a charm and couldn't be happier!

Hope this helps

Comment

• downlander
                                              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by normundo

Regards
                                              Norman
                                              Hi did you manage to find a fix ? I am having the same problem

Comment

• thorstent
                                                • Nov 2011

resetting zeppelin

Hi,

I alreday flashed the zeppelin a second time with 1.3, still not resetting. Amazon is sending a replacement and then it's network time again this weekend.
                                                I'm pretty positive about getting this thing working right if I can access the settings menue and will post a little guide here after doing that.

T

Comment

• thorstent
                                                  • Nov 2011

Zeppelin Air Setup in 10 Minutes (short tutorial)

ok, everythings fine, Zep is running now.
                                                  Here my knowledge, derived by try and error and gathered from diverse forums:

1. Do's and don'ts.
                                                  - Only use alphanumeric names in your WLAN (to be sure just A to Z)
                                                  - You have to use a 2.4 GhZ WLAN. Zep cannot do 5 GhZ :-(
                                                  - Use WPA2 encryption.
                                                  - Use a non standard channel for WLAN (not 6 or 1 or 12). The lag of your neighbours WLAN may kill your music stream.
                                                  - NOTE ALL NUMBERS AND SETTINGS. TYPE CAREFULLY. TYPING WRONG MAY RESULT IN BEING STUCK WITH A DEVICE WHICH CAN NOT BE RESETTED.
                                                  - Network setup experience recommended. Understand what you do.
                                                  - Disclaimer: On your own risk.

2. Do not use DHCP. First set up your WLAN with individual IPs.

The TCP/IPv4 settings:
                                                  The router is the gateway and the DNS servername, the second DNS servername is a fantasy IP, just count the router IP up by 1. (Should not be the same.)
                                                  The first three numbers have to be the same for all devices.
                                                  Here we go (all example IPs):
                                                  - Router: 192.160.11.1
                                                  - Laptop/PC: 192.160.11.10
                                                  - Network Printer: 192.160.11.20
                                                  - Ipad: 192.160.11.30

Use:
                                                  Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
                                                  Standard Gateway: 192.160.11.1 (Has to be router IP)
                                                  First DNS Server: 192.160.11.1 (Has to be router IP)
                                                  Second DNS Server: 192.160.11.2 (Router plus 1 :-)

3. Your TCP/IPv4 LAN settings for cable connection your PC/Laptop should be DHCP based (automatic settings).

4. Zep config by the book:
                                                  Disconnect PC/Laptop from WLAN. (Simply turn WLAN ON THE PC OFF, NOT THE ROUTER). Zep has to be without power. Connect Zep and PC/Laptop with patch cable. Connect Zep to power. Zep is now in standby mode (red light). Press power on button on Zep. Starts blinking purple (or magenta ;-)
                                                  After 90 seconds Zep should have stable purple light.
                                                  Connect via browser and Zeps IP: 169.254.1.1 (as by manual).
                                                  Now set the Zep name. Apply.
                                                  Then choose your WLAN (or enter it).
                                                  Enter the WLAN WPA2 key.
                                                  DO NOT JOIN YET!
                                                  Then the pro settings.
                                                  The IP has to be in the range as all other devices, let's say 192.160.11.40
                                                  And of course Subnet, Gateway and DNS servernames as on all other devices!
                                                  Join!
                                                  Wait a little bit, then remove LAN cable from PC and Zep.
                                                  Zep starts blinking, should stop after 90 seconds. Connect PC/Laptop to WLAN and check on router if Zeps name/IP shows up in the WLAN (it should).

Boot an Ipad or PC/MAC itunes. Press the Airplay icon and choose Zeps name for speakers. Enjoy!

---

Zeps is runnning at this moment, I am very happy. No stuttering, excellent streaming.

One more network word: B&W is not that experienced in Networking devices I guess.... Why the Zep gets stuck: If you give it an indivdual IP (and maybe wrong network settings) it always tries to connect on those via WLAN. This searching seems to block the resetting button/light, because it's both timed at "booting" the Zep. Tsk, Tsk.

A solution seems to be an Iphone, while its docked and playing you may be able to reset the Zep. Only iphone, not ipad...

The Zep should not loose WLAN connection settings over night because of the individual IP and streaming is less prone to error because of- right - the individual IP...

Comment

• sprewellkobe

Hi,thorstent, i m facing the absolutely same problem like you and mistabraz(i did a wrong networking setting)... when i seting up Zep air.

i m glad to see you solved this problem at last, that give us THE HOPE.

but the question is when i change DHCP to no-DHCP setting just like what u said, the light still keeping flash purple, never turn to stable. Could you tell us more detail about how reset?

because reset button to me is not work at all, i do not know how reset the machine (i already did all i can do just like manuel said).

Comment

• thorstent
                                                      • Nov 2011

reset if stuck with non DHCP and wrong IP

Well, if you are stuck with a non-DHCP setting,

hard way (not tested)
                                                      you could try set your PC to the same IP range as the Zep an the same gate etc. because you assigned a new IP to it (not the standard IP anymore) you cannot use the old standard one. you should be able to connect via patch cable

easy way
                                                      should be possible by info from Zep vendor: dock an iphone or an ipod touch and playmusic. while light is blue try to reset by the button with a pin

Comment

• jj10
                                                        • Nov 2011

Zeppelin Air - Troublshooting

I experienced a few minor set-up issues, (1) a 'Red-Flashing Light' which was easily resolved by downloading the Zeppelin Air Programmer which then updates the Zeppelin Air's Firmware.

(2) The Airplay icon on my PC was not visual. This was due to my PC Security Firewall blocking ports that Airplay uses. This isresolved by configuring the security software.

These minor teething problems were easily resolved by calling the support team at bower-wilkins on their 0800 freephone number. My call was answered promptly and my troubleshooting was dealt with efficiently. The team was exceptionally friendly/professional. They patiently talked me through the set up, step-by-step.

Of course one of the first things I tried to do was put it on full-throttle and the sound quality that comes out of this stunning piece of art is truly remarkable; there was very little distortion with clear clarity. This is a piste de resistance.

Comment

• Billy Mcgee
                                                          • Dec 2011

Setup Info and "No Reset"/"Blinking Red Light (Air only)" Fix

If you are experiencing issues with the iPhone 4S and drop out issues then this is not caused by the Zeppelin Air but by the iPhone 4S itself. It should be resolved with an iOS update from Apple. iOS version 5.1.

If you had the "will not reset" issue like I did then please visit the B&W Group support website and download the Zeppelin Air Recovery Application. It is a program that you have to download and install like you did with the firmware updater. You will need to use a USB printer cable (like the normal firmware update) but this will resolve the Blinking Red Light issue (for Zeppelin Air only, not the original) and it will also force the unit to reset (wiping out the currently save wireless network settings from the Zeppelin Air)

You can find the recovery application, as well as updated setup guides here: http://bwgroup-support.com/zeppelin-support.html

Comment

• OnetimeComment
                                                            • Mar 2013

Beware of Channel Issues on the Router

Hi Everyone,

I'm a "One time Only Commenter" but wanted to contribute something I learned. I don't follow this forum, but found it in Google searches on "Connectivity issue with Zeppelin Air"

This thread doesn't look active, but I used it to help in getting my AirZep up and running.

I experienced numerous issues (many hour's worth), but succeeded in the end and am quite happy with the end result.

I purchased my system from Apple in Palo Alto in March 2013.
                                                            I took it home and found the manual confusing, but managed to upgrade the firmware from a PC laptop. The upgrade app gave me issues on my Mac.

I have a complex home network with a wired router interfacing to the internet, and internally connected to multiple hardwired endpoints and hubs, and 2 wireless routers (routing capability turned off to have them just be end-points that are wireless).

While it took me a while, I was able to get the Zep connected to my closest wireless endpoint when no security was applied, but I could not get any security protocol working with various types of passwords! Spent many hours resetting the Zep (paperclip) and connecting to my computer to get the settings into the Zep for testing.

Finally, I went back to the post that mentioned stay away from certain busy channels. My wireless routers were set to AutoScan for channels (the router I'm connected to is a Dlink DIR - 615). I changed it to run on a dedicated channel (I picked 10), and all of a sudden the security worked. (I have my SSID set to "not visible" and am using WPA2 - AES encryption.

So, the moral is, check your channel!

I will not be checking this forum again, but i hope this little bit of information saves the hours I spent figuring it out!

Good luck, as I believe it is a great product, although expensive.

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"