X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • londoner
    • Apr 2009

new 804D tweeter dome slightly off axis

I'm very pleased with sound of my new 804Ds, but I've noticed that the direction of both tweeter domes is slightly offset from the central axis of the speaker. Both are pointing slightly to the left. You wouldn't notice from the front but looking down on the top it's obvious.

I've emailed my dealer, who is close by, asking him to come and adjust, but wanted to ask you guys if it's something you've come across and if will be easy for dealer to fix. Sound is wonderful but this will just annoy me if not fixed. Thanks for any comments.
  • pazu
    • Nov 2009

Hi londoner.

Could you post a tweeter's photo?

In my 803S I see a similar thing, but I think it's normal within a few of millimeters.

:W

Comment

• John22614
      • Feb 2010

I have the same issue with my 804S that I bought new about a year ago. I would be very surprised if it has detectable affect on the sound stage. I decided not to make an issue of it with my dealer. But I also don't think it's unreasonable to ask for an adjustment. I can see where it could bug you, especially given the quality of speaker you bought.
      B&W 804s Mains
      B&W HTM4 Center
      Monitor Radius 180 Surrounds

Sony 46 HX929 TV
      Marantz AV 7005 processor
      Anthem MCA 30 Amp
      Panasonic 3D BluRay player

Comment

• londoner
        • Apr 2009

Hi Pazu - will do so when I get a chance - away from my flat at the moment

John - thanks, yes, don't think any effect on the sound, which was just making me want to sit and listen to music when I need to be getting on with other things! - very happy indeed - I'll let you know how I get on with dealer

Comment

• emig5m
          • Aug 2008

Well my 804S tweeters is perfectly aligned, just checked. It might come out of alignment during shipping or packing? They aren't solid on the cabinet (not meant to be) and you can bend them left and right with your hand. I wonder if you where just to twist it some the opposite way that it's out of alignment if it will reposition itself back to being centered? Know what I'm saying? If it's pointing right too much bend it left enough to where it falls back into the center position.

Comment

• londoner
            • Apr 2009

For benefit of anyone finding this thread in future, the tweeter alignment has turned out to be very easy to adjust. Someone from my dealer's service department came in took off the midrange driver and adjusted from underneath, so now perfectly aligned with the wood grain.

Can't tell you how pleased I am with the 804Ds. Previous speakers were inherited LNB Lab-8 transmission line speakers from the late-70s (don't imagine many still around - seem to be pair on ebay at the moment - not mine). Good speakers but I'm astonished by just how much of a difference the 804Ds have made. Rest of system is Meridian 208 CD+pre-amp and Meridian 557 power amp

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"