X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gonzonator
    • Jan 2011

What is a Good Price For B&W 640?

I've been looking at a pair that is for sale, he is asking $500 is that a fair price?
  • windshear
    • Dec 2004

I would think thats maybe a little expensive given the age of the speakers. Are they the 640i's or the older 640's ? I used to own a pair of the 640i's and twice had to replace bass drive units. Not through abuse, but the spiders tend to collapse with age and you end up with a scratchy driver, which will eventually self destruct. In my opinion i would stay away from these speakers unless you are 100% set on them and you have checked they dont have any collapsed spiders. The best way to test for this would be to run a sine wave test sweep, it will immidiately tell you if there is something wrong with a driver.

Comment

• gonzonator
      • Jan 2011

Yeah I thought it was a little high. They are the original 640's, I offered him $400 and he accepted so I picked them up this morning. I can tell you that so far I am very pleased, they sound great, maybe not enough bass for my taste, but nice clear mid range. I was also happy to see that they were in flawless condition, honestly they look brand new. I hope that I do not run into driver issues like you did. I have never done a sine wave test sweep, can you give me a little more info on how this is done?

Comment

• windshear
        • Dec 2004

Just do a search on the internet for test tones , there are many available and you can run them either from your pc or burn them to a disc and run them off your cd/dvd/bluray player.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"