X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

Just a note about the TC-2000 vs. RL-p15

I've seen a lot of posts on AVS and elsewhere about how these two drivers compare. I know Cms/Kms curves are not available, but I heard that the RL-p series uses 8 or 8.5" spiders. The TC uses 10" spiders on the 12 and 15 (8.5" on the 10). We can't be sure what this means as far as suspension linearity goes without curves, but larger spiders generally mean more suspension throw/more linear suspension, all else being equal.

So for all those debating, it may be a consideration. Again, nothing definite without curves.
  • Exocer
    • Feb 2006

Interesting stuff. I have a question.
    Since the Tc-2000 has higher Xmax wouldn't it be essential to have a larger spyder? The Xmax differences are marginal between the two but i wonder if spyder size becomes exponentially more important as Xmax increases?

Comment

• RandyMidd
      • Feb 2006

This is my own personal experience & thoughts on my own RLp15-D2's...

I'm a bit soured on my RLp15's for the simple fact that they failed to assemble it correctly in the most fundemental and obvious way.

The cutouts in the rubber surround don't match to the holes in the cast frame...leaving you with one or two millimeters of area that mate together for a seal...I'm a little surprised people don't blow out that tiny seal area considering some people are drilling the frame even bigger to accept 1/4" screws and must be reducing the sealing area to practicallly nil.

I see a potential problem when the screw head buries into the surround material causing that little remaining material to become damaged.

Then again, some are probably assembled with more care than others...but from what others have said, it isn't uncommon for them to be misaligned at least somewhat.

Also noted poor solder job at one terminal...I'd gladly pay more for a little more attention to detail.

Driver really weighs 33 lbs 6 ounces without the rubber pieces...34 lbs 14 oz with...not the 39 lbs the website claims...these claims are in the context of driver specs so if it's really the shipping weight, then I believe it's misleading.

This post is in the spirit of sharing information...I think we all agree that's what forums are for.
      Last edited by RandyMidd; 12 November 2006, 15:01 Sunday. Reason: Misinterpreted.
      ...Randy

Comment

• cobbpa
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by RandyMidd

Driver really weighs 33 lbs 6 ounces without the rubber pieces...34 lbs 14 oz with...not the 39 lbs the website claims.
        I didn't realize they were this light..the 12" sub I used to have in my car was ~40 pouncs, iirc. Interesting.

I have no actual experience's with either company, but am being tempted by the thought of dual 12" TC-1000's at their current sale price. Seems like a well-built driver at a nice price.

Mark, I'm not familiar with the curves you mentioned...could those be measured by anyone in the public, or will we only get those graphs from the companies (if ever)?

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

SoundSplinter drivers are made by TC-Sounds at the TC-Sounds plant in San Diego.

The frames are sourced from an outside vendor and conform to industry standards.

All TC-Sounds drivers are literally handmade. As a result it wouldn't be unexpected that occasionally the alignment of the surround could be slightly off center. This of course has no impact on the performance.

If one is unhappy with what they've received Mike at SoundSplinter has always been accommodating regarding customer service issues.

I'd bet the weight stated is the shipping weight being posted so people have an idea as to cost.

The appropriate place to bitch about any companies product is to them directly via the phone or email, not on a public forum.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

What is the relationship between TC and SoundSplinter? I always thought that the RL-p15 was a custom SS speced TC-9, but fully manufactured by TC. If you are correct that the SS drivers have quality problems, then this is a TC manufacturing problem, which likely both drivers will have.

Am I incorrect in this?
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Bent
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2003

My first RL-p had it's gasket holes mi-aligned with the basket holes, but I didn't consider this to be a problem, as I don't care for using the supplied gasket anyways.

it barely worked with my BP-1503, wouldn't work at all with my first RL-p, and aligns perfectly with my second RL-p...

A no issue to me regardless.

The product spoke well enough for itself. no squeeqy surround, no scratching former, woven leads, clean solder joints.

I certainly learned a very valuable lesson, don't buy discontinued products when you can source better products from an established vendor with solid baking from a re-knowned manufacturer.

This isn't meant as a slight towards Kyle at Acoustic Visions either, on the contrary, Kyle went above-and-beyond to help me resolve the problems I had with my BP-1503 and in a round about way, allowed me to realize that what I said above is true.

My first RL-p came from Kyle too, by the way.

Comment

• RandyMidd
                • Feb 2006

The appropriate place to bitch about any companies product is to them directly via the phone or email, not on a public forum.
                I apologize if I offended you.

I didn't mean as much for that post (#3) to be a bitch as much as for sharing info...it was tongue in cheek when I said I was "done venting" ...I edited that out so it's less likely to come across poorly.
                ...Randy

Comment

• RandyMidd
                  • Feb 2006

My first RL-p had it's gasket holes mi-aligned with the basket holes, but I didn't consider this to be a problem, as I don't care for using the supplied gasket anyways.
                  Hi Bent, I'm not talking about the gasket...I'm talking about the rubber surround that's glued to the cast frame.

I didn't use the supplied gasket either...all the rubber got tossed.
                  ...Randy

Comment

• Bent
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2003

Ahh. got it now.

surround's holes too close to edge...

Comment

• Amphiprion
                      • Apr 2006

mkay, so much for discussion of the spiders

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"