X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gonzonator
    • Jan 2011

B&W 603 S3 upgrade from B&W DM640's? HELP PLease

Hi I was hoping someone could give me some advice, I have the chance to get a pair of the 603 s3's for $400. I currently have the original DM640's, would this be a upgrade? The 640's I have are in great shape, but I keep thinking that the newer speakers would be a smarter choice due to the age of the 640's. The other thing that is bothering me is that the 640's are 3 way speakers, and the 603's are 2.5 way. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Well.....I know this is a moot point but I would kinda' listen to them and evaluate if you like them. Typically, and I know this might rattle some feathers, 3 way speakers tend to sound better than 2 way ones. Like all other aspects of electronics, speaker technology has come a long way over the years so they will likely be more accurate sounding. However if I have to guess, going from a 3 way speaker to a 2 way one will likely not impress you. There will be something missing (ie..good midrange performance) that was there in your 3 way setup.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• gonzonator
      • Jan 2011

I was thinking the same thing about going from a 3 way to a 2.5. But like you said I wonder about the improvement in technology since the 640's were made. I don't know if the improved accuracy and newer speaker would be worth the change. I would be buying from a private sale so it's hard to listen to the 603's before I go see them. Has anyone heard both these speakers, or have the 603's to give me some insight?

Comment

• stuofsci02
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

I used to have the 603s3. I have not heard the DM640, but I think they will be quite comparable. If you can flip your DM640 for the same price it might be a good chance to try out some new gear. I think the 603 looks nicer.

Madmac has indicated that he feels a 3-way sounds better then a 2-way. I will play devils advocate and indicate that it can be easier to make a 2-way sound better and so for cheaper speakers a two-way can be very good. But it really all comes down to design..
        Main System:
        B&W 801D
        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
        Oppo BDP-105
        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
        B&W CM7
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Emotiva UPA-2
        Oppo BDP-83SE
        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• gonzonator
          • Jan 2011

I think I can sell the 640's for the same price, I believe they were $1600 originally. I think the 603's were $1000 a pair. I like the look of the 640's especially the two black mid/bass drivers. It's really not the look I am contemplating it's the performance. If they sound similar then maybe the upgrade may be worth it due to having a newer built speaker with newer components. I am always torn with the whole idea of new speakers vs older because I have listened to so many "vintage" speakers they have blown me away. I really don't know if newer is better, obviously depending model etc.

Comment

• stuofsci02
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by gonzonator
            I think I can sell the 640's for the same price, I believe they were $1600 originally. I think the 603's were $1000 a pair. I like the look of the 640's especially the two black mid/bass drivers. It's really not the look I am contemplating it's the performance. If they sound similar then maybe the upgrade may be worth it due to having a newer built speaker with newer components. I am always torn with the whole idea of new speakers vs older because I have listened to so many "vintage" speakers they have blown me away. I really don't know if newer is better, obviously depending model etc.
            I think if I were in your position I would keep the DM640 if you are happy with them. I have always been of the position that you should take a sure upgrade path and not a side to side jump unless you feel you want to just have something different.
            Main System:
            B&W 801D
            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
            Oppo BDP-105
            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
            B&W CM7
            Emotiva UMC-1
            Emotiva UPA-2
            Oppo BDP-83SE
            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• sgtjim57
              • Dec 2008

I own the 603s3, have for many years now. I enjoy the way they sound but can not compare them to anything else in the B & W line. It is claimed the 603s3 is a 2 1/2 way, if that matters.
              Sony Bravia OLED A1E 55"
              SVS SB 2000 X 2
              Denon X4000 (Looking to upgrade due to 4K, ATMOS, DTSX)
              Oppo BDP 93
              Apple TV 4K
              B & W N804 Mains
              B & W 603 Rear surrounds
              B & W LCR 600 Center
              B & W CDS6 (Not in use)
              Sony TA N77ES (Not in use)

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"