Do you really need a sub with 800Diamond?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Do you really need a sub with 800Diamond?

Do you really need a sub with 800Diamond, and if yes what do you think of the B&WDB1 vs JL Audio Fathom F113
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • Rod#S
    • Oct 2010

I have no expereince with the 800 but looking at the specs of the speaker it bottoms out at around 25Hz. The specs are 32Hz - 28kHz ±3dB on reference axis and -6dB at 25Hz and 33kHz. Perhaps if you only listen to music you may not miss the range below that but if the music you listen to has pipe organ in it I think you would be missing out. For home theater I would definitely want one or more subs for the LFE track because signals there definitely go below 32Hz. Also keep in mind a sub is meant to do one thing, play bass so it will do a better job even at frequencies above 32Hz. I know if I was fortunate enough to be able to afford the 800Dis I would still be running multiple subs like I do now and amazing as it might sound I would have frequencies below 50Hz-60Hz crossed over to the subs.

I have not heard either of those subs, oddly there is next to nothing out there in the form of reviews of the DB1 but I'm sure it's a great sub. The Fathom is a well respected subwoofer and you will find tons of reviews for that and I'm sure lots here on the forum have at least heard it if not own one or 2 Personally if I was in the sub market I would be going after the Paradigm Signature Sub2. I own the Sub 25 and use it as my LFE sub (I have two Servo 15s performing stereo duty) and it's an amazing subwoofer, the Sub 2 would be heaven but it's quite expensive as far as subwoofers go.

Rod
    B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Rod#S
      I have no expereince with the 800 but looking at the specs of the speaker it bottoms out at around 25Hz. The specs are 32Hz - 28kHz ±3dB on reference axis and -6dB at 25Hz and 33kHz. Perhaps if you only listen to music you may not miss the range below that but if the music you listen to has pipe organ in it I think you would be missing out. For home theater I would definitely want one or more subs for the LFE track because signals there definitely go below 32Hz. Also keep in mind a sub is meant to do one thing, play bass so it will do a better job even at frequencies above 32Hz. I know if I was fortunate enough to be able to afford the 800Dis I would still be running multiple subs like I do now and amazing as it might sound I would have frequencies below 50Hz-60Hz crossed over to the subs.

I have not heard either of those subs, oddly there is next to nothing out there in the form of reviews of the DB1 but I'm sure it's a great sub. The Fathom is a well respected subwoofer and you will find tons of reviews for that and I'm sure lots here on the forum have at least heard it if not own one or 2 Personally if I was in the sub market I would be going after the Paradigm Signature Sub2. I own the Sub 25 and use it as my LFE sub (I have two Servo 15s performing stereo duty) and it's an amazing subwoofer, the Sub 2 would be heaven but it's quite expensive as far as subwoofers go.

Rod
      Thanks, I currently have the JLAudio F113 and love it but like the look of the DB1
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Rod#S
        • Oct 2010

The DB1 is defintely a looker. I like it much better than the previous subs.
        B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Yes I like the 2x ø300mm (12 in) Rohacell cone long-throw.

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Originally posted by wettou
            Do you really need a sub with 800Diamond
            It depends what sort of music you listen to. If you listen to smooth jazz at a polite volume then you probably don't. If you enjoy concert DVDs at high SPLs then you probably do. Well I do.

Nigel.

Comment

• Pedro
              • Jan 2006

I think depends the room size also. I know Wettou have or had N801, and in that point the N801 shuld have more bass but not the same impact of 800Diamond. I have 801D installed on a 430ft² room, and i am satisfied with any kind of music especially my prefered rock/metal.

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

hi,

with the new 800 diamond FOR ME no, whitout sub.

but if is "really necessary" :lol: --> the DB81 without any doubt!!!

In stereo or Ht?

like wrote I will go whitout sub: a speaker like the new 800DI work very fine in Hf & Lf and not need help"....
                i agree too with bigburner-> It depends what sort of music you listen to...

and the roon, if is a stereo system or HT...AND personl taste...

style

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
                  It depends what sort of music you listen to. If you listen to smooth jazz at a polite volume then you probably don't. If you enjoy concert DVDs at high SPLs then you probably do. Well I do.

Nigel.
                  Just thinking for movies music I don't need it :T Room size it 20 x 18 x 10 in feet

Comment

• James63
                    • Dec 2006

no

what instrument do you think you are missing at 25hz?

Comment

• Aiden
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by James63
                      no

what instrument do you think you are missing at 25hz?

He said he wants it for movies. :W

Comment

• Glenee
                        • Aug 2006

Wettou,
                        I think the gain vrs $ over the F113 would range from very slight to none.
                        IMHO

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by Glenee
                          Wettou, I think the gain vrs $ over the F113 would range from very slight to none. IMHO
                          You are probably right!

Comment

• style
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006

another color ist available?

Comment

• htsteve
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by style

Style,

That system is stylin'!! You have one excellent set up.

Comment

• ninja12
                                • Mar 2007

Very nice setup. :T :T Just wondering, are you getting any reflection off of the wooden table in front of your couch? I also thought you went with the 803Di.

Comment

• Freddie40
                                  • Jun 2009

Very nice
                                  Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                                    • Feb 2008

Having owned the B&W 800D's, for music NO, but for movies YES.
                                    SoundEngine355

-------------------
                                    [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• hardy
                                      • May 2010

Yes, Yes, Yes, I will.

Sounds more voluminous when you hear music (Two-Channel not so loud.
                                      When you hear Music in that way, you will know him, when you switch him off

Peter

Comment

• Maarten
                                        • Jan 2010

The db1 is great!

Dont need it for music but a must for movies when you want to FEEL it

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"