X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bresna
    • May 2004

805s Wiring - Bi-Amp Jumpers?

I received a pair of 805s speakers for Christmas. The seller updated the tweeters to the current diamond tweeter and they sound so sweet. I am very happy.

The seller was bi-amping the speakers so when I received them, the jumpers weren't attached. The directions on hooking them up are rather poor. I am using bare wire and they imply that you can stick the "banana plug" (not like any banana plug I've ever used before) in the through hole and use bare wire in the spaded lug opening with no problem. When I did that, I was easily able to pull the wire out. There just isn't enough force on the wire.

Then I noticed another drawing that seemed to imply you could just stick the banana plug straight into the wire nut opening and use the through hole for the bare wire. Well, that sounded simple enough, but when I tried it, I could not get that banana plug to go into that hole no matter what. After some grunting and pushing, I finally gave up and switched to needle-nose pliers. That got the thing in there. Now everything seems fine. But boy, am I in trouble if I ever want that banana plug back out.

Did anyone else have this problem? Did I do it wrong?

Kevin
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

B&W ships the speakers with a small plastic insert within the speaker terminal that you need to remove first. Completely unscrew the terminal caps on both sets and you will see a black plastic insert (on each minus terminal) and a red plastic insert (on each positive terminal). Since you may have jammed these in, you may need to use your needle nose pliers to remove them, or whatever works at this point. Then after these are removed, replace the caps and the banana plugs will fit in nicely. Then tighten down the cap.

I don't know why B&W adds these, but I'm sure you are not the first person who has had troubles.

Comment

• bresna
      • May 2004

Originally posted by beden1
      B&W ships the speakers with a small plastic insert within the speaker terminal that you need to remove first. Completely unscrew the terminal caps on both sets and you will see a black plastic insert (on each minus terminal) and a red plastic insert (on each positive terminal). Since you may have jammed these in, you may need to use your needle nose pliers to remove them, or whatever works at this point. Then after these are removed, replace the caps and the banana plugs will fit in nicely. Then tighten down the cap.

I don't know why B&W adds these, but I'm sure you are not the first person who has had troubles.
      The inserts were removed. The problem I had is that the "banana plug", which seems like a solid hunk of metal to me, is just a little too big for the hole. Did the guy supply me with the wrong jumpers? Is it supposed to be a real banana plug, the kind where there's a smaller solid pin with a 2nd metal layer of spring fingers?

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by bresna
        The inserts were removed. The problem I had is that the "banana plug", which seems like a solid hunk of metal to me, is just a little too big for the hole. Did the guy supply me with the wrong jumpers? Is it supposed to be a real banana plug, the kind where there's a smaller solid pin with a 2nd metal layer of spring fingers?
        I'm not sure I am visualizing what you're saying correctly, but try this: Loosen the four terminal caps to expose the side holes in each terminal. You can insert the B&W supplied bare wire jumpers (I believe they are 10 guage) into these holes, and then tighten the caps which will secure the jumpers.

This is how I have my jumpers installed. Then, I use locking banana connections on my 10 gauge speaker wires and directly insert them into the ends of the terminals.

Comment

• specialized
          • Apr 2008

[QUOTE=bresna]I received a pair of 805s speakers for Christmas. The seller updated the tweeters to the current diamond tweeter and they sound so sweet. I am very happy.

Hmm. How this is possible? It's not different x-over for the Diamond tweeters?

Please enlight us a bit more?

Greetings

Comment

• aarsoe
            • May 2004

Bresna

There are two slots or holes on each terminal (aside from the hole for the banana plug). My guess is you are trying to enter the wrong one - sorry, no pun intended.
            So look carefully and you will see a second narrow opening designed for the spade.
            Made the same mistake myself..

Comment

• bresna
              • May 2004

I'll attach the owner's manual wiring diagram. Rather vague, huh?

My question is this, is the "banana plug" supposed to be a real banana plug with either spring fingers or a split pin or is it solid? The jumpers I was given have a spaded lug on one end & a very solid ~1 inch "rod" on the other end which the owner's manual refers to as a "4mm banana plug".

This rod just doesn't want to go into the holes on my 805 S speakers. I'll attach a picture from the web of some who hooked up his jumpers (on a different model) the same way I did. The difference is that his "banana plugs" went all the way in. Mine only went in about 7/8's of the way in.

Kevin
              Attached Files

Comment

• bresna
                • May 2004

Originally posted by specialized
                I received a pair of 805s speakers for Christmas. The seller updated the tweeters to the current diamond tweeter and they sound so sweet. I am very happy.
                Hmm. How this is possible? It's not different x-over for the Diamond tweeters?

Please enlight us a bit more?
                The person I bought these speakers from had the upgrade done at the B&W service center. He says the crossover has the same schematic, but with improved components.

Kevin

Comment

• specialized
                  • Apr 2008

The person I bought these speakers from had the upgrade done at the B&W service center. He says the crossover has the same schematic, but with improved components.

Kevin

So what we need to upgrade? What part numbers?

Comment

• dukester
                    • Sep 2010

I'll attach the owner's manual wiring diagram. Rather vague, huh?

My question is this, is the "banana plug" supposed to be a real banana plug with either spring fingers or a split pin or is it solid? The jumpers I was given have a spaded lug on one end & a very solid ~1 inch "rod" on the other end which the owner's manual refers to as a "4mm banana plug".

This rod just doesn't want to go into the holes on my 805 S speakers. I'll attach a picture from the web of some who hooked up his jumpers (on a different model) the same way I did. The difference is that his "banana plugs" went all the way in. Mine only went in about 7/8's of the way in.

Kevin
                    The jumpers that came with my 803Di's do not go into the 'banana plug'; they go into the post through the side...at least that's what my schematic showed. You'll have to loosen the caps a bit to access.
                    McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• stuofsci02
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2009

bresna,

That picture of the 805 you posted is exactly how it should look...
                      Main System:
                      B&W 801D
                      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                      Oppo BDP-105
                      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                      B&W CM7
                      Emotiva UMC-1
                      Emotiva UPA-2
                      Oppo BDP-83SE
                      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• emig5m
                        • Aug 2008

So what we need to upgrade? What part numbers?
                        Interesting. I wonder if the 804S/HTM3S tweeter/crossover can be upgraded in the same way... Maybe even use the new 804Di bass drivers in the 804S/HTM3S cabinet?

Comment

• specialized
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by emig5m
                          Interesting. I wonder if the 804S/HTM3S tweeter/crossover can be upgraded in the same way... Maybe even use the new 804Di bass drivers in the 804S/HTM3S cabinet?
                          Yes.. That's why i asked part numbers And i wonder how the rest are not interested in this that 805s got upgraded to 805di. I got even more interested in upgrading my 803S to something like Di?

Greetings

Comment

• emig5m
                            • Aug 2008

I'm pretty sure in case of the 804 that the bass drivers are different. Different enough to change? The cabinet should be the same volume-wise so the cabinet shouldn't be a problem - what about the port tuning? Also since the HTM3S is a sealed design, would the new 804Di woofers work in it?

So basically, to upgrade my 804S/HTM3S I would need;

x3 Diamond Dome Tweeters from the 804Di
                            x6 Woofers from the 804Di
                            x3 Crossovers from the 804Di

But what about the FST mid? Is it the same or is it upgraded? Will the woofers directly fit without modifying the cabinet, etc....

Since their isn't a Diamond center with the woofer size of the old HTM3S, I think the HTM3S to Di conversion would be sweet to keep the drivers size matched with the 804Di! :T

Comment

• emig5m
                              • Aug 2008

Upgrading old speakers to Di might not be worthwhile....

Yes.. That's why i asked part numbers And i wonder how the rest are not interested in this that 805s got upgraded to 805di. I got even more interested in upgrading my 803S to something like Di?

Greetings

I have the part numbers and prices and it doesn't look too worthwhile to do...

804D2 TWEETER COMPLETE W/HOUSING
                              Part# HF00959 Price: $1531.26

804D2 BASS UNIT
                              Part# LF02342 Price: $199.10

804D2 CROSSOVER HF
                              Part# XX15659 Price: $285.98

804D2 CROSSOVER MF
                              Part# XX15789 Price: $141.18

804D2 CROSSOVER LF
                              Part# XX15666 Price: $257.02

So for my 804/HTM3S upgrade it would be...

3 tweeters = $4593.78
                              6 Bass drivers = $1194.60
                              3 Crossovers = $2052.54

Grand total for the upgrade = $7840.92!!!

Ouchy! I think I'd rather just sell off my S series and get true Di series with the magnetic grills, and the finish of my choice (piano black).

Let's see... 805S to 805Di upgrade... Tweeters are the same part number as the above 804...

805D2 TWEETER COMPLETE W/HOUSING
                              Part# HF00959 Price: $1531.26

805D2 BASS UNIT
                              Part# LF02336 Price: $101.36

805D2 CROSSOVER
                              Part# XX15672 Price: $427.16

So a pair of 805S to Di upgrade would cost around...

2 Tweeters $3062.52
                              2 Bass units $202.72
                              2 Crossovers $854.32

Grand total for the upgrade = $4119.56!!!

805 Diamond: $5,000/pair

Uh.. again... I think it would be better to sell off the complete old speakers and put the money down on the complete brand new! Be patient and find a dealer to get 20% off brand new speakers and come out even better! :E

Just for giggles, 803S to 803Di conversion (albeit, only two bass drivers per cabinet instead of three)

803D2 TWEETER COMPLETE W/HOUSING
                              Part# HF00980 Price: $1607.28

803D2 BASS UNIT
                              Part# LF02361 Price: $213.58

803D2 CROSSOVER HF
                              Part# XX15633 Price: $300.46

803D2 CROSSOVER LF
                              Part# XX15645 Price: $416.30

803D2 CROSSOVER MF
                              Part# XX15803 Price: $275.12

So...

x2 Tweeters $3214.56
                              x2 Woofers $427.16
                              x2 Crossovers $1983.76

Grand total: $5625.48!!!
                              803 Diamond: $10,000/ pair

Might be worth it here, but, still not a real 803Di with only two bass drivers per cabinet. I think I could kill myself for not snagging the mint 803D's for only $4800! :M

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by emig5m
                                I think I could kill myself for not snagging the mint 803D's for only $4800! :M
                                Yup.... You should be shot at sunrise..
                                Main System:
                                B&W 801D
                                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                Oppo BDP-105
                                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                B&W CM7
                                Emotiva UMC-1
                                Emotiva UPA-2
                                Oppo BDP-83SE
                                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• bresna
                                  • May 2004

I just talked to the guy again and he clarified the tweeter swap. He tried to swap in Diamond tweeters but was told that the crossover would not work right with them. The reason I asked him is that they looked like standard S tweeters... it's because they are.

Sorry if I got your hopes up here.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"