X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garrison
    • Oct 2010

Difference between Black Ash to Piano Black

I have 803D as front, HTM1D, and 4 805's all in black ash. I am actually upset because I bought all of these in the past 6 month from my dealer without being told the new piano black was coming out. Is there any difference in the piano black diamond speaker other than appearance compared to the ash diamond speakers I have?

I am considering 4 of the 805D's to match up the diamond tweeter with the front. Is this overkill as side and rear speakers?

FYI...I'm using to push these speakers.. Just purchased Classe SSP-800 1.4 and CA-5300 to push front 3 and sides, and already own a CA-5100 that is going to be bi-wired to the rear 805's.
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by garrison
    I have 803D as front, HTM1D, and 4 805's all in black ash. I am actually upset because I bought all of these in the past 6 month from my dealer without being told the new piano black was coming out. Is there any difference in the piano black diamond speaker other than appearance compared to the ash diamond speakers I have?

I am considering 4 of the 805D's to match up the diamond tweeter with the front. Is this overkill as side and rear speakers?

FYI...I'm using to push these speakers.. Just purchased Classe SSP-800 1.4 and CA-5300 to push front 3 and sides, and already own a CA-5100 that is going to be bi-wired to the rear 805's.
    Very sweet yes the Di went under major upgrade internally, your dealer should have told you.

4 805Di sweet :T
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• garrison
      • Oct 2010

That's what I was afraid of. any idea of a site I can read a comparison of the two. I might just have to go ahead and list these on audiogone and buy the upgrade. I was wanting 802D's anyway.

Maybe buy the 802DI and HTM2DI and move the 803D's to rear and buy new 805D at the middle... Maybe a good match?

Comment

• garrison
        • Oct 2010

I would only have to sell the 4 805's then...

Comment

• emig5m
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by garrison
          I would only have to sell the 4 805's then...
          I might take a pair of the 805S if you decide to sell. I really would like rosenut to match my fronts, but black would be ok just for rears. Plus I've been dying to hear the 805S and compare as stereo mains to the 804S...

Comment

• garrison
            • Oct 2010

if I do upgrade it will be one of my last moves. I am revamping my whole system right now... Think the 805S will be OK for now???

Comment

• dan87951
              • Nov 2005

As rears I think the 805S will do just fine. I bet you would hardly notice the difference between the D2's.
              dan87951
              audio guru

Comment

• 1oldguy
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by dan87951
                As rears I think the 805S will do just fine. I bet you would hardly notice the difference between the D2's.

This is sound advice.And will be money well saved.Listen to him for he speakith the truth,and the truth will saveith you money.Keep repeating this until you believeith.I sure would. :T
                Last edited by 1oldguy; 07 November 2010, 08:31 Sunday.
                A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• emig5m
                  • Aug 2008

What if one wanted to replace 685s in the rear for 805S if they had 804S/HTM3S up front? Worth it, or no? (this is what I eventually 'want' to do)

Comment

• MacManAudio
                    • Nov 2010

garrison - I bought the rosenut since there was no black gloss. I never opened them and am now awaiting the black gloss. Im going to put my others up on audiogon hoping I can get $3k and take a grand loss for my obsessive taste. They never tell you as they are trying to clear inventory- the same with Apple and it's computers and iPods.

Comment

• MacManAudio
                      • Nov 2010

I should have said $4,200 since I paid more than that with taxes!!!!! My wife is ready to chop my...... off with this whole room renovation.
                      What are the thoughts here about moving from parasound JC2 and A21 to Classe gear? I hope to purchase a pair of 804Ds for my fronts and wondered which amp would go best with these - classe, rotel, parasound?

Comment

• stuofsci02
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2009

I have auditioned the 804s with the A21 and also the Class D Rotel gear.. I liked the A21 more then the Rotel, but the class A/B Rotel gear I am sure is different.. I ended up really like Chord Electronics sound..

Last week I auditioned the 804Di with Chord and found ti very very good..
                        Main System:
                        B&W 801D
                        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                        Oppo BDP-105
                        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                        B&W CM7
                        Emotiva UMC-1
                        Emotiva UPA-2
                        Oppo BDP-83SE
                        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• HedgeHog
                          • Dec 2008

Not sure how clear it is on other monitors but here's a comparison of black ash vs piano black. PB is hard to get a good shot of due to the reflection. I need much better lighting than the camera flash.

Here's a close-up of each...

-H
                          Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                          Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                          B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                          Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                          Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• emig5m
                            • Aug 2008

I definitely like the piano black better. :T

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by HedgeHog
                              Not sure how clear it is on other monitors but here's a comparison of black ash vs piano black. PB is hard to get a good shot of due to the reflection. I need much better lighting than the camera flash.

Here's a close-up of each...-H
                              Love the toys :B Glossy Black shows off all speck of dust Love the look
                              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by wettou
                                Love the toys :B Glossy Black shows off all speck of dust Love the look
                                Weird, I had to double check the photos too but I just dusted everything prior to taking the pix. Not sure what those white specs are but it's definitely not surface dust. However, dust and figure prints WILL be part of the decoration sooner than later.

BTW, those aren't toys....

-H
                                Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                                Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                                B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                                Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                                Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• emig5m
                                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by HedgeHog
                                  Weird, I had to double check the photos too but I just dusted everything prior to taking the pix. Not sure what those white specs are but it's definitely not surface dust.
                                  Use a lint free automotive detailer quality microfiber rag with something like Meguiars Quik Detailer. Now if you want to add a little more "pop" to the finish, use Ultimate Quik Detailer. Whatever you do NEVER use paper towels!! :E I even use the regular Quik Detailer on my plasma screen.

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"