X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ian1975
    • Apr 2009

B&W speakers upgrade

Hi to you all,

Christmars is coming soon and I'm thinking of getting myself the 800di's. I have the 802d's and htm2d for the front and the 805di's for the surround. Can I just upgrade the 802d's and not the center? Is there a difference between the htm2d and htm2di? Is the 800di's too big for my opened room which is 12 X 20? Finally, are the 800 di's power hungrier than the 802d's? Are my Classé 400 W monoblocks enough for the 800 di's and the rest of the speakers are powered by the CA-5200?

Thanks

Ian
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

Hallo ian1975,

great "gears"..but sorry a 800d or 800di in a 12x 20???

a 802DI and cam from Classé need a big , big room the give you the very top sound.....
    in a 12x 20 I have a 803DI with CA2200&CA3200 anf is more as enough!!!

greetings Style

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by ian1975
      Hi to you all, Christmas is coming soon and I'm thinking of getting myself the 800di's. I have the 802d's and htm2d for the front and the 805di's for the surround. Can I just upgrade the 802d's and not the center? Is there a difference between the htm2d and htm2di? Is the 800di's too big for my opened room which is 12 X 20? Finally, are the 800 di's power hungrier than the 802d's? Are my Classé 400 W monoblocks enough for the 800 di's and the rest of the speakers are powered by the CA-5200? Thanks
      Ian
      Ian is it 12 m x 20 m or 12 feet x 20 feet.

Any how the 800Di is on my list to after I sell some gear. I would say that the CA-M400 are enought I would alos upgrade the center but that's just me :B
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• HedgeHog
        • Dec 2008

Hi Ian,

I just recently upgraded 802D/HTM2D to their respective new diamond models and in my space, they have a different sound. I had others over and they mentioned how fuller the new series sound immediately after switching over. Anyhow, imho, going from old to new diamonds is worthwhile enough. Going to 800Di, I think, will need a bigger center. Didn't someone (garrison?) mentioned that one can still custom order HTM1Di?

-H
        Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
        Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
        B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
        Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
        Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

The "di" series is a different speaker to the previous "d" series. The tweeters and woofers have enhanced magnet assemblies and voice coils amongst other things. If it were me and I was looking towards upgrading to the 800di, I would either go for another 800di or an HTM2di as center. My preference is to have as perfectly matched front end as possible. My reason for this is that I'm mostly keen on blu-ray audio and live music recordings and to me the center speaker is critical as it is primarily used for vocals. This is the reason that my present front end setup consists of 3 x 802d. However, this is simply my preference. Yours could be different. It might be a good idea for you to try to audition a pair of 800di's with both your current HTM2d and an HTM2di. You could find that any difference may not be significant enough for you to upgrade your center speaker. If that is the case then to keep your current center speaker would be best for you. It's all about what sounds best to your ears.

My opinion regarding your current CA-M400 monos is that they should be a perfect match to drive the 800di's.

Hope that this helps. Good luck & please keep us posted.

Comment

• ian1975
            • Apr 2009

Hi Wettou,

It's 12 feets X 20 feets.

Thanks

Ian

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"