X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Highroller
    • Jan 2010

Mcintosh MC501 to 802Di's: 8ohm vs 4ohm

I am wondering about connecting to the 4 ohm taps on the MC501 to my 802Di's. Since the 802Di is rated for 8 ohm can someone tell me what happens when connecting to the 4 ohm taps both from a sound standpoint as well as an electrical standpoint vs the 8 ohm taps? Does more power get send down the wire when connected to 4 ohms to 8 ohm speakers....etc..

Thank you for your help
  • mdonda
    • Nov 2010

If you select the 8ohm tap than you will get the full rated power output at that impedance load, however; you will get less power the furhter away the speaker's load strays from the selected tap. That is the disadvantage of the autoformer and that's why you typically need a much more powerfull Mac amp as compared to a more modern design. The 802d's impedance curve varies quite a bit and the 8ohm nominal rating is just the average. If you select the 8 ohm tap, the frequency range closest to the 8 ohm load will sound its best. You just have to experiment and detemine what sounds best to you.

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

highroller,

As mdonda said, you need to experiment. I have 802D's and an MC402. I tried both the 8 and 4 ohm taps. For my room and setup, the 4 ohm connection was better. So that is what I use.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• mb225
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by mdonda
        If you select the 8ohm tap than you will get the full rated power output at that impedance load, however; you will get less power the furhter away the speaker's load strays from the selected tap. That is the disadvantage of the autoformer and that's why you typically need a much more powerfull Mac amp as compared to a more modern design. The 802d's impedance curve varies quite a bit and the 8ohm nominal rating is just the average. If you select the 8 ohm tap, the frequency range closest to the 8 ohm load will sound its best. You just have to experiment and detemine what sounds best to you.
        I often wondered about this since MC makes you select your ohms.

So what happens if your speakers fluctuate between 3 and 8 ohms and you are hooked up on the 8 ohm tap? Does the MC fall short at 3 ohms?

Comment

• mdonda
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mb225
          I often wondered about this since MC makes you select your ohms.

So what happens if your speakers fluctuate between 3 and 8 ohms and you are hooked up on the 8 ohm tap? Does the MC fall short at 3 ohms?

Depends on the power output of the Mac amp. If you're using a 500wpc mac amp, then the difference would be marginal compared to a 250wpc amp. That's why you typically want to use a higher powered mac amp.

Comment

• Pio
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Highroller
            I am wondering about connecting to the 4 ohm taps on the MC501 to my 802Di's. Since the 802Di is rated for 8 ohm can someone tell me what happens when connecting to the 4 ohm taps both from a sound standpoint as well as an electrical standpoint vs the 8 ohm taps? Does more power get send down the wire when connected to 4 ohms to 8 ohm speakers....etc..

Thank you for your help
            For current hungry speakers that dip to the 3 ohm range like the 802's, you need to select 4 ohm taps.
            Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• mb225
              • Jan 2009

So this is very odd to me. You would think buying a Mcintosh would get you uncompromising performance. It sounds like the Mac can't handle a large range of resistance. Plus I'm always hearing how well Mcintosh and B&W 800s work together. Yet the B&W have a large resistance range? Are there any amps that are a better fit to drive B&Ws?

Is this a Mcintosh design flaw? I feel like I'm missing something here... :blink:

Comment

• mb225
                • Jan 2009

This really makes me wonder... I'm driving B&W 803s with a Rotel RB-1582.

According to documentation:
                B&W 803s - Nominal Impedance: 8Ω (minimum 3.0Ω)
                Rotel RB-1582 - Speaker Impedance 4 ohms minimum

So when the B&Ws dip into the 3 ohm range can the rotel support those frequencies? Could this configuration be damaging to the amp or the speakers?

Very interesting... :duh:

Comment

• Highroller
                  • Jan 2010

If the 802Di's says 8 ohms (which I think they do), will it cause harm to the speaker to run them at 4 ohms or 2 ohms?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Highroller
                    If the 802Di's says 8 ohms (which I think they do), will it cause harm to the speaker to run them at 4 ohms or 2 ohms?
                    I have been running the 802Ds on 4ohms for years.
                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                      I have been running the 802Ds on 4ohms for years.
                      Good evening Kal,

How's the review of the 800Di coming? I am looking to get a pair :B
                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                        Good evening Kal,

How's the review of the 800Di coming? I am looking to get a pair :B
                        Just fine, thanks. :W
                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Skyblue
                          • Jun 2009

If you post it here first, we can help proof read it ! :T
                          B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

When does it come out?
                            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• scanido
                              • Apr 2006

803S on the 4ohm tap here as well. Noticed the bass and highs to be more detailed and powerful with a slightly larger soundstage. 8 ohm seemed to benefit the midrange more but lost the bass and high.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"