X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Review of my new (used) CM7

Last weekend I picked up a pair of used CM7 to put in my living room once I move my 804s down into my new listening room in the basement.

The CM7 are wenge, and were purchased new in 2008 (they are marked "Made in England) and are in flawless condition although they are missing the foam port plugs. Price I paid was $900 Canadian.

I have had 804s for about a year and they replaced my 683s which I had for two years before that. The CM7 were placed in the same room/location as my 804s which I removed from the room for the testing.

The source was the stereo analog outputs on my Oppo 83SE, which go to my Emotiva USP-1 Pre-amp and full range out to my Chord SPM-650 poweramp.

I started by listening to my usual CDs as I know how these sound with my 804s. After reading reviews I was expecting the CM7 to be really low on bass, but to my surprise the bass was more then adequate. The bass did however exhibit a little bit of coloration and boominess at the deepest freq (I think around 40-45 hz). There was some minor, but noticeable cabinet coloration through the midrange compared to my 804s. Against the 804s the sounds stange is very slightly compressed (front to back) and the highs don't seem quite as open.

That said, after about 15 minutes of listening I had forgotten about the 804s and was loving the CM7. I found the balance and tonal quality to be excellent, and the imaging was stunning. Compared to how I recall the 683 the CM7 is simply more balanced and refined. I remember when I swapped out the 683 for the 804s, the difference was huge. The 683 was a wonderful speaker, but the 804 just did everything better.

I swapped the CM7s back to the 804s and although there was definate impovement in all areas, I was suprised at just how good the CM7 are.. They sound much better then I was expecting, and the big gap I found between the 683 and 804s was certainly not there between the CM7 and the 804s. The 804s definately had a tighter smoother bass, and were more airy with a deeper soundstage, but the difference was NOT night and day.

Although I don't have the CM7 foam port plugs, I am going to see if I can get some as I think it might tame the boominess on the low end. I did try running them through my USP-1 preamp on the Hi pass outputs with the crossover set at 50hz and this cleaned the bass right up, without any real feeling of loss. I think the CM7 probably should just be restricted to above 50 hz. I would prefer not to have to run through a crossover though, so I will see about the port plugs.

I have to give the CM7 my blessing. I was going into it expecting to be underwhelmed after listening to my 804s, but it was just not the case. The CM7 proved to be a very balanced and capable speaker. I will even admit, that I have kept the CM7 in the system for the last week and have not felt the need to quickly move my 804s back in.

Cheers,

Stuart
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

That's very interesting Stuart. Even though I have a great affection for my old CDM9NT speakers I have no desire to reclaim them from my son's bedroom. Initially I wasn't convinced that the improvement provided by my new 803Ds was substantial but the more I listen to familiar music on them the more I am appreciating their qualities.

Nigel.

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

Nigel,

Have you had a chance to hear the new CM series vs. the CDM series? As I understand the 700 series replaced the CDM series. Since the CM and the 700 series speakers existed at the same time I have often wondered how they stacked up (I know the 700 was the higher series) especially now that B&W has discontinued the 700 series and are replacing with new CM speakers (CM9 and CM8)..

Cheers,

Stuart
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by stuofsci02
        Nigel,

Have you had a chance to hear the new CM series vs. the CDM series?
        No, I've never had that pleasure Stuart.

Nigel.

Comment

• stuofsci02
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

I dug up the port plugs for my 804s and suprise... They fit the CM7..

The result however was terrible.. All bass was gone and speaker had no body or substance to it.. Now the one thing is the 804s plugs are solid foam. I remember my 602.5 S3 and 603 S3 had different plugs that was basically a solid plug with a hole in the middle which would reduce the port size of the speaker. I am wondering if this is what came with the CM7 too.. Can anyone with CM7 confirm what the port plugs look like?

Thanks,

Stuart
          Main System:
          B&W 801D
          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
          Oppo BDP-105
          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
          B&W CM7
          Emotiva UMC-1
          Emotiva UPA-2
          Oppo BDP-83SE
          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

Hi,

B&W make me a price for he CM7 available on stock:
            New, in Usd. 1300.-.....I use a 805S as rear now but this CM7 is a big temptation....

style

Comment

• stuofsci02
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2009

Hi Style,

While I think the CM7 is a great speaker and would probably have a little more low end then the 805s, based on my experiece with my 804s I would think the 805s would still be a more refined better overall speaker. I recall that you are running new 803Di up front? I would thing the 805s might be a better match too..

I need to get some 805s for my rears. I have 804s and HTM4s across the front..
              Main System:
              B&W 801D
              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
              Oppo BDP-105
              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
              B&W CM7
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Emotiva UPA-2
              Oppo BDP-83SE
              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• cat-like
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                I dug up the port plugs for my 804s and suprise... They fit the CM7..

The result however was terrible.. All bass was gone and speaker had no body or substance to it.. Now the one thing is the 804s plugs are solid foam. I remember my 602.5 S3 and 603 S3 had different plugs that was basically a solid plug with a hole in the middle which would reduce the port size of the speaker. I am wondering if this is what came with the CM7 too.. Can anyone with CM7 confirm what the port plugs look like?

Thanks,

Stuart
                I have the CM9s and the plug is the 2 part one so you plug the port completely or reduce it. My speakers are only a foot from the back wall and I have even tried them 6 inches away, makes no difference, the bass is nice and tight. This actually surprised me as I thought I would have issues with the rear port, I think the rest of the room plays a part.

Needless to say, I don't use the plugs

Comment

• stuofsci02
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2009

Hi Cat-like..

I am sure the CM7 port plugs must be the same..

I would not have categorized the CM7 bass as boomy, except when I compare to my 804s. It definately is not as smooth, but once I limit it to 50hz is sounds very nice indeed..

Thanks for the info!
                  Main System:
                  B&W 801D
                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                  Oppo BDP-105
                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                  B&W CM7
                  Emotiva UMC-1
                  Emotiva UPA-2
                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• stuofsci02
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2009

As a followup I found a set of port plugs from some of my old 600 series speakers.. These are hollow plugs, not the solids ones I had used previously. These did make a positive difference as it tuned the bass a little higher and reduced that small bit of boominess I was experiencing...

I have been running the CM7 for 7 straight days. Tomorrow I will put the 804s back in and see if I feel any different then my initial review..
                    Main System:
                    B&W 801D
                    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                    Oppo BDP-105
                    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                    B&W CM7
                    Emotiva UMC-1
                    Emotiva UPA-2
                    Oppo BDP-83SE
                    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"