Cleaning need for piano lacquer: bigger than the wood finish??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gerardhn
    • Jun 2005

Cleaning need for piano lacquer: bigger than the wood finish??

Hi all,

Now the new black piano lacquer is on the market for some time.... what about its cleaning needs.

In the old 802+ series, I had to remove weakly a thin layer of white dust from the marlan head. The wooden body needed no care.

Of course horizontal surfaces catch more dust than vertical ones, but is there any experience now what the whole black painted body means for household maintence.

Does one see fingers, which are diffcult to remove (who the hel touched them, why? but it happens )

Is the paint electrostatically charged and so the body attracks dust now??

I ask for true household experience.! Thats why we have our forum.

Pls answer this, not whether you or your wife like the wood more, or you think the paint will evaporate or whatever personal fantasy.
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

I have had a piano black pioneer elite 60" rear projector HDTV for the past 15+ years that has a large surface area. It does seem to attrack and show dust more so than say the wood furniture. I just use a slightly damp cloth to clean it weekly.

I would also imagine that the piano black finish is a laminate, and not sprayed on paint.

Comment

• emig5m
      • Aug 2008

Use a automotive quick detailer spray with a quality microfiber rag to clean. Use something like meguiars scratch x 2.0 or swirl remover 2.0 to get rid of any scratching. It's that simple.

Comment

• gerardhn
        • Jun 2005

Enig5m,

Thank you for your idea, but your picture shows wood vineer!
        I asked for real experiences on the new speakers.

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

Cannot comment on any experience with the new speakers in terms of cleaning - but my late grandmother would always use ash as a polish for any fine furniture and as well for a piano. Now you cannot use any old kind of ash, it needs to be cigar ash...
          She would polish her furniture every week and I have never seen any furniture with the same shine to it as hers.
          No guarantee of course.. (and don't take up smoking..)

Comment

• Skyblue
            • Jun 2009

Why dont you ask OCD?

B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by aarsoe
              Cannot comment on any experience with the new speakers in terms of cleaning - but my late grandmother would always use ash as a polish for any fine furniture and as well for a piano. Now you cannot use any old kind of ash, it needs to be cigar ash......
              Wow. And I have been throwing my ash out all these years when I could have been packaging to sell to audiophiles at prices that would cover my Havana purchases!! A new business.
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• aarsoe
                • May 2004

Kal

I'll only charge you 10% commission on all future revenue streams based on that idea.. :-)

Comment

• bows3r
                  • Jul 2010

I have owned my piano black 805 diamonds now for about two weeks and there is dust in top of the speakers, but not on the sides if that helps you anyway.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by aarsoe
                    Kal

I'll only charge you 10% commission on all future revenue streams based on that idea.. :-)
                    Blowing smoke!
                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• gerardhn
                      • Jun 2005

Hi BOWS3r

Yes, the top. But I think the it always better to touch the body (if you want to move them) with gloves. Fingerprints can give deep stains sometimes on surfaces.

805 has has small body... Iam not sure if those big black 802 bodies are so nice in the living room compared to the more natural quiet wood.

We have to be careful that we all start buying because it is "a new possibilty" but later we are not so happy.

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by gerardhn
                        Hi all,Now the new black piano lacquer is on the market for some time.... what about its cleaning needs. In the old 802+ series, I had to remove weakly a thin layer of white dust from the marlan head. The wooden body needed no care.
                        Just a microfiber cloth for the Marlan Heads does the trick I would put any cleaners on it. The cherry can use wood oil that's all:T
                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Charlieu
                          • Oct 2008

Emig5m is right. Quick detailer to clean them. A pure wax or polymer to protect the finish. Don't use a "cleaner wax" or something with harsh chemicals. JL Audio recommends Meguiars NXT for their gloss black finishes. While I'm not certain about the Scratch X, as they get older and pick up fine scratches and swirl marks, a swirl filling glaze with a coat of pure wax over it will bring them back to like new condition. A key component is a good, plush microfiber cloth. If you are using one that came packed with a piece of equipment you purchased, you're asking for scratches and swirls. Check the automotive sites on the Internet or head down to your car parts store to get good ones, then make sure you take care of them properly.

Comment

• Loner
                            • Nov 2005

I've also used Meguairs with good results on my piano black sub. Recently, on another forum, a product called Plexus was being highly spoken of with great results. I tried it and got the best results yet. Got those tiny pesky swirl marks off and shines likd no ones business.... 8O
                            Denon AVR 3803, Denon DVD-2900, Denon DCM-560, Samsung Monitor, Yamaha TT-400U, Yamaha K-222, Panasonic PV-V4525S

Swans 6.1's Fronts, Swans C3 center, Swans R3's rears, SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer, Cables - Neotech, BetterCables and Blue Jeans

Comment

• gerardhn
                              • Jun 2005

He, we in Europe dont know these local American brands as...
                              Meguiars NXT or Plexus.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"