This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rod#S
    • Oct 2010

I have completed my test of the phantom center and it was quite interesting. It definitely does the job but I always seem to have the feeling that something is missing. Maybe it's because I have had a 5.1 and then a 7.1 system for literally 10 years so not having the voices planted in the center is indeed noticeable to me. I find the phantom center inconsistent. I'm not sure if it's my surround sound processor or not but there are times when I literally could not notice there was no real center but then that would break down throughout a movie and it would become obvious the center channel info was coming from the mains. I also noticed that if the mains were being sent a lot of sound then voices would at times become hard to hear basically being overpowered by all the other sounds which is something I never experienced with a dedicated center channel. I also noticed that at times I preferred to sit off center to have the voices always come directly at me and not spread across the 2 fronts because if the phantom center affect broke down as it seemed to do by times it wouldn't be too noticeable.

I imagine if I was just getting into the home theater market and decided to not go with a center then everything would be just fine but having lived with a dedicated system for so many years I don't think I would be satisifed with the experience. So that brings me back to the decision on the center and which to get, the 802Di or the HTM2Di. I may also try moving my center off to the side a bit and give that a test for a week to try and mimic the placement I would be forced to go with should I choose the 802Di over the HTM2Di.
    B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• emig5m
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rod#S
      I have completed my test of the phantom center and it was quite interesting. It definitely does the job but I always seem to have the feeling that something is missing. Maybe it's because I have had a 5.1 and then a 7.1 system for literally 10 years so not having the voices planted in the center is indeed noticeable to me. I find the phantom center inconsistent. I'm not sure if it's my surround sound processor or not but there are times when I literally could not notice there was no real center but then that would break down throughout a movie and it would become obvious the center channel info was coming from the mains. I also noticed that if the mains were being sent a lot of sound then voices would at times become hard to hear basically being overpowered by all the other sounds which is something I never experienced with a dedicated center channel. I also noticed that at times I preferred to sit off center to have the voices always come directly at me and not spread across the 2 fronts because if the phantom center affect broke down as it seemed to do by times it wouldn't be too noticeable.

I imagine if I was just getting into the home theater market and decided to not go with a center then everything would be just fine but having lived with a dedicated system for so many years I don't think I would be satisifed with the experience. So that brings me back to the decision on the center and which to get, the 802Di or the HTM2Di. I may also try moving my center off to the side a bit and give that a test for a week to try and mimic the placement I would be forced to go with should I choose the 802Di over the HTM2Di.
      Ha! My same exact thoughts! When I always hear about people suggesting on trying a phantom center I thought I would try it out every now and then and I can say it definitely sounds downgraded than having a real center. Is it the quality of the processor and how good it can re-encode the center channel surround info into the front mains without degrading the sound quality? I don't know, but I have yet to own a processor that can do it where it didn't seem like degraded sound over just using a real center channel/speaker (but I have yet to try it with my latest processor - I'm struggling over calibrating my new display currently, heh). I'd rather use a HTM61 with my 804S than the 804S with a phantom center! :E I'm also a person that can't stand any simulated surround effects or expanding 2-channel into surround (be it those "music" surround modes or anything).

I personally would go with the HTM2Di. That will give you a real (quality) center and also be more flexible with integration than a 802Di. Heck, these large B&W centers can be a pain to integrate in with the rest of your gear/furniture to begin with. :T

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"