X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

B&W 805D vs Focal Slo6Be

I am looking to have a small room converted to a music/ home theater room for the kids

11 x 10 x 9 feet

And I am thinking five 805D or five Focal Sol6 be ?
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • emig5m
    • Aug 2008

Five 805D's for the kids!? 8O When I was a kid, I had a $70 Sound Design system from Kmart, lol. :E I have to vote for none of the above. I would say five 685's with a Velodyne MiniVee at most. :W

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

Funny.. I was thinking the same, but was not going to say it....
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Grasynoll
        • Mar 2006

Only 5 ??

Comment

• btf1980
          • Aug 2007

5 805Ds for children??? Can't imagine what you will buy for a prepro & amplification.

sigh...

A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

I'm available for adoption! And pretty low maintenance at my age. :-)
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Skyblue
              • Jun 2009

I would get them in piano black. That looks so nice with banana peels
              B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Skyblue
                • Jun 2009

Incidentially, where i live, the m2 prices are way up and beyond the price of 805D's, so if you are able to afford a spare room for the kids, 5 805's are almost complementary.

I think if you can afford it, the kids would love it I know my kids would. Subwoofers and soundproofing recommended
                B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• alebonau
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

hehe hello wettou ? big kids right ?

look if thinking 805D the actual match for that is really the 1008be standmount.

but in reality if its little kids, have a check out of the focal sib cub 5.1 set, for small rooms it will suit it to tee and still be a quality setup that wont dissapoint. otherwise from the b&W stable they have the mt series that is also along similar lines partner up with the pv1 sub and ah kick back and enjoy...
                  "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Briz vegas
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

When I were a lad it was 2 scavenged speakers (so i could pretend it was stereo) plugged into a cheap mono "boom box" style cassette radio.

Kids trash stuff. Its what they are supposed to do. Getting them a system at that level is silly, unless its actually a HT for everyone. I agree with the MT style speaker suggestions.
                    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

I'm with Al and Briz. Consider the (still relevant) MT-30 system wettou.
                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• beden1
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2006

I've been researching these Harbeth HL-Compact 7ES-3 stand mount speakers that receive excellent reviews and ratings, particularly from Stereophile. They don't look modern or fancy (maybe a good thing?), but the solid quality build looks like how things used to be built by hand, and I love the classic British sound. They are made in a small shop in England.

I'm setting up a stereo system in my basement to listen to my extensive vinyl record collection from my college days, and these just may fit the bill perfectly. The basement has a suspended ceiling with wall-to-wall carpeting, so while I want a solid bass output, I don't want it to be boomy. I'm also going to be sitting about 7-8 feet away from the speakers with an equal distant speaker spread, so I also don't want a bright/lively/forward sound like I found when I auditioned the 805Di's and the Paradigm Reference S4's this past weekend. I'm hoping these speakers sound as one reviewer said (very natural classic 1970's British sound).

These are also much more affordable at $3,450 a pair. I was able to locate a 30 day full money back guarantee if I don't like them at http://www.davidmichaelaudio.com/

I brought my Aragon MK II pre-amp with phono stage and an Aragon 8008 (2 channel X 200 watts at 8 ohms & 400 watts at 4 ohms) amplifier out of storage. I also just ordered a Rega P3-24 Turntable, and will be using my Luxman tuner that I've had since the early 1970's. I'll let you know how they sound after I play with them a few days. They should be in next week.

I'm really excited about this project, as it's like I'm going back to the basics, where you just turn on the system power, cue up the record and then turn up the volume. No manuals to read about how to adjust this or the other thing, and whatever other BS this hobby has evolved into!

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

Ok thanks for the Kids jokes, :B :roll:

So here are the choices:

Paradigm S1, Focal Dome or B&W MT-30

Canadian manufacturer of premium high-performance loudspeakers for music and home theater, Crafted in Canada.

Has any one had an opportunity to hear any of them? :T

Also I discovered this at Cedia from the Maker of TAD

Very cheap :T :T :T :T
                          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Skyblue
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by wettou

I am looking at the Paradigm S1

Canadian manufacturer of premium high-performance loudspeakers for music and home theater, Crafted in Canada.

Has any one had an opportunity to hear them? :T
                            I'm sorry mate.

My kid is 1 year old, and having any speakers near him is as good as kissing it goodbye.. I'm getting 802s, though for me. Not for him.

How old are your kids anyway. That actually makes a big difference with respect to the quality of speakers you can buy.

As for which speaker to buy, I think some people said that it doesnt matter very much for movies, as long as you have 5 and a subwoofer.

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by Skyblue
                              I'm sorry mate.

My kid is 1 year old, and having any speakers near him is as good as kissing it goodbye.. I'm getting 802s, though for me. Not for him.

How old are your kids anyway. That actually makes a big difference with respect to the quality of speakers you can buy.

As for which speaker to buy, I think some people said that it doesnt matter very much for movies, as long as you have 5 and a subwoofer.
                              Teenagers and have a deep appreciations for classical music since the play many musical instruments :B

Comment

• Skyblue
                                • Jun 2009

Teenagers and have a deep appreciations for classical music since the play many musical instruments :B
                                Excuse me, but I think that information is crucial to the question.

That means that they can both take care and appreciate good speakers. Well, then I would either get 805ds with at least 2 subs, or some full range speakers. I havent heard the paradigms, but I do believe B&W sounds good with classical. That being said, I'm in europe, and for european speakers you can deduct 30% and for american speakers add 30% to the price for comparison. Meaning, a pair of speakers can be the right choice over here with respect to value, but be a completely bonkers choice for an american... Eg. I can get 6 802dis for the price of a pair of sashas...

Comment

• alebonau
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Oct 2005

So here are the choices:

Paradigm S1, Focal Dome or B&W MT-30

Has any one had an opportunity to hear any of them? :T

Also I discovered this at Cedia from the Maker of TAD

Very cheap :T :T :T :T
                                  If you like the warmth of vocals that's common in the b&w and focal brand sound then you might find the paradigm a bit on the sterile or thin sounding by comparison.

But yeah best to listen for yourself to choose
                                  "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• leej
                                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by alebonau
                                    If you like the warmth of vocals that's common in the b&w and focal brand sound then you might find the paradigm a bit on the sterile or thin sounding by comparison.

But yeah best to listen for yourself to choose
                                    Better yet, have your children listen. They may have a preference.
                                    Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
                                    B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

I take back what I said.

We need to do all we can to cultivate future musicians, particularly the classical variety. I would aim somewhere between the two extremes, although if you can afford the 805 ...............!!!!!!!!!!!
                                      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• boarder1995
                                        • Sep 2009

Excellent choice for them, but as others said, perhaps a good sub to help when things get loud and bassy...appreciation for all music types. Otherwise, if they're into the equipment as you are, would they consider going on some audition runs to hear the subtle and sometimes huge differences various models and brand speakers make? Let them guide the show and listen as long or short as they want at each stop or each room. Might be a fun father/daughter/son outing.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jan 2006

:agree:

Comment

• wettou
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • May 2006

Sounds like a great idea :T

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"