X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dan87951
    • Nov 2005

Emotiva mono's powering CM9's Video

Found some old videos of my CM9 speakers and decided to upload them onto youtube. I had these connected to some new Emotiva XPA-1's that I just bought at the time. I actually still own these amps because I love them so much. Couldn't tell the difference between these and the classe power amp I had before.

Emotiva XPA-1's and CM9's
    dan87951
    audio guru
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by dan87951
    Found some old videos of my CM9 speakers and decided to upload them onto youtube. I had these connected to some new Emotiva XPA-1's that I just bought at the time. I actually still own these amps because I love them so much. Couldn't tell the difference between these and the classe power amp I had before.

Lights?
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• dan87951
      • Nov 2005

None its the man cave. Sorry Sally!
      dan87951
      audio guru

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

You may want to get your ears checked then! :E

Comment

• Armbender
          • Jul 2005

what centre ch were you using, doesnt look like a cmc2
          Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• dan87951
            • Nov 2005

That's a Nautilus HTM-1 but its not turned on. This is two channel stereo with a sub.

"Check my ears" cute.. very cute! Some people take marketing, hype, and price to far. Let me guess you also own a $500 fiber cable? LOL You need to check the specs of the XPA-1 its a phenomenal amp!
            dan87951
            audio guru

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

..its a phenomenal amp!
              +1
              Emotiva as a company... I don't know. Their amps though, very incredible.
              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

That's a Nautilus HTM-1 but its not turned on. This is two channel stereo with a sub.

"Check my ears" cute.. very cute! Some people take marketing, hype, and price to far. Let me guess you also own a $500 fiber cable? LOL You need to check the specs of the XPA-1 its a phenomenal amp!
                I Don't buy into marketing hype either, but just let my ears do the deciding. And, I can't hear specs!

I don't use "fiber" ? cables either, but just cables made up by Blue Jeans which are very reasonable. They happen to be one of the few true bargains in the audio/video industry.

In this hobby, as with most things, you usually get what you pay for, and I have a very hard time swallowing how a Class D amp made by anyone, can be in the same quality of sound league as a Classe amp. Sorry, but my statement stands. :roll:

By the way, I listened to your You Tube video featuring your (previous?) system. To be fair, I was listening to it through my computer speakers, but, it made my ears bleed. If that Emotiva amp made those speakers sound like that, the 800 Diamond speakers will sound worse, IMO.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by beden1
                  I Don't buy into marketing hype either, but just let my ears do the deciding. And, I can't hear specs!

I don't use "fiber" ? cables either, but just cables made up by Blue Jeans which are very reasonable. They happen to be one of the few true bargains in the audio/video industry.

In this hobby, as with most things, you usually get what you pay for, and I have a very hard time swallowing how a Class D amp made by anyone, can be in the same quality of sound league as a Classe amp. Sorry, but my statement stands. :roll:

By the way, I listened to your You Tube video featuring your (previous?) system. To be fair, I was listening to it through my computer speakers, but, it made my ears bleed. If that Emotiva amp made those speakers sound like that, the 800 Diamond speakers will sound worse, IMO.
                  Not to jump into the middle of a clearly friendly debate, but I do not see how you can tell someone to have their ears checked when you have not even heard the amp in question. Furthermore, the XPA-1 he refers to is class A/B, not class D, which goes to further my point of at least having heard an amp (and perhaps even know something about it) before making an obvious jab at someone.

And you are going to judge someones system based on what you hear from a video recorded with a digital camera which has then been put on Youtube and is being played through your computer speakers? Really????
                  Main System:
                  B&W 801D
                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                  Oppo BDP-105
                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                  B&W CM7
                  Emotiva UMC-1
                  Emotiva UPA-2
                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• btf1980
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by beden1
                    Emotiva must be the heaviest Class D amps in history! :B
                    A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• btf1980
                      • Aug 2007

Dan, what 800 series diamonds are you upgrading to?
                      A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• dan87951
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                        Not to jump into the middle of a clearly friendly debate, but I do not see how you can tell someone to have their ears checked when you have not even heard the amp in question. Furthermore, the XPA-1 he refers to is class A/B, not class D, which goes to further my point of at least having heard an amp (and perhaps even know something about it) before making an obvious jab at someone.

And you are going to judge someones system based on what you hear from a video recorded with a digital camera which has then been put on Youtube and is being played through your computer speakers? Really????
                        Couldn't have said it any better myself! Thanks!
                        dan87951
                        audio guru

Comment

• dan87951
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by btf1980
                          Dan, what 800 series diamonds are you upgrading to?
                          Trying a set of 805 Diamonds, they are on order and should be here in a few weeks. I will post pictures once they arrive. Can't wait!
                          dan87951
                          audio guru

Comment

• dan87951
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by audioqueso
                            +1
                            Emotiva as a company... I don't know. Their amps though, very incredible.
                            I know there web board is filled with complainers but whenever I called in to check the status of an order or have a question they are very eager to help. I'm not brand loyal at all I let the products and services speak for themselves and I was very impressed with this company. I would definitely recommend them.
                            dan87951
                            audio guru

Comment

• audioqueso
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

Oh, I don't even bother with their forum. It's ridiculous in there!
                              I know the company is very helpful. They will help you right away. But I say that I'm not sure about the company because of my experience with their UMC-1 and some of their practices. It's just some of their practices that seem a little strange. Great amps though!
                              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Hammie
                                • Oct 2005

Nice setup, Dan.

I'm running my 800 Series setup off an XPA-5. I'm hoping to upgrade to XPA-1's for my fronts by the end of 2011.

Keep us posted on the Di upgrade!
                                Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                                Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                                Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                                Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                                B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                                Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                                My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                                Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• dan87951
                                  • Nov 2005

Audioqueso,
                                  No doubt their web forum is a joke. They need to get it under control, because a lot of the people on there sound like a bunch of newbies who haven't even read the manual so they complain instead it seems..

Will do Hammie!
                                  dan87951
                                  audio guru

Comment

• dan87951
                                    • Nov 2005

Got the new speakers today. Only problem is I came home with 803D's instead of 805D's. Maybe the wife won't notice? lol oh well can't wait to get them broken in. I'll start a new thread with pictures here soon.
                                    dan87951
                                    audio guru

Comment

• pazu
                                      • Nov 2009

Got the new speakers today. Only problem is I came home with 803D's instead of 805D's. Maybe the wife won't notice? lol oh well can't wait to get them broken in. I'll start a new thread with pictures here soon.
                                      My congratulations, Dan!

Have you got the new 803Di?

We'll wait for a lots of photo! Thanks!

:T

Comment

• dan87951
                                        • Nov 2005

Nope there the older 803D's not 803D2's. I got a great deal couldn't resist. Thanks I'm enjoying them quite a lot!
                                        dan87951
                                        audio guru

Comment

• beden1
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2006

Nope there the older 803D's not 803D2's. I got a great deal couldn't resist. Thanks I'm enjoying them quite a lot!
                                          Congrats. They are excellent speakers that I have in my system as well, and really enjoy them! :T

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jan 2006

Congratulations! Wishing you many hours of audio bliss! Enjoy! :T

Comment

• dukester
                                              • Sep 2010

Congrats on the speakers...but curious; did you audition the 805Di's (or any 80XDi for that matter) and prefer the 803D's? Or was the deal just too great to walk away from regardless? I ask only because i've never heard the 803D and wanted to get your take on the differences.
                                              McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• dan87951
                                                • Nov 2005

Yes I heard the 805D's. They are a pretty good speaker. They reminded me of a 805S just with a little bigger sound stage and obviously the smoother tweets. Very impressive for its size. In my opinion the 805D didn't sound anywhere as good as the 803D but they are totally different in size so not a real fair comparison. The 803D had a bigger soundstage and much better mid bass snap which it should since the 805D's have no separate bass drivers. If you paired the 805D with a decent sub you are probably 85-90% of a 803D.

I pretty much went with the 803D's because I had him put the 805D's in a larger room like mine and it was pretty obvious they just couldn't fill the room with sound like the 803's.
                                                dan87951
                                                audio guru

Comment

• boarder1995
                                                  • Sep 2009

You'll have to give us your impression of the XPA-1's with the new 803D's. I've had my 803D for almost a year and love them sooo much, but have been contemplating upgrading amps without breaking the bank (since I just did so with new skis).

Once you get them setup, take a video, with a small hand cam and its included cheap mic, post it on youtube, relaly compressed, then I'll listen on my PC and see if it sounds "harsh". ;-) If it does, then I'll conclude I must need Krell monos. :-)

Comment

• dan87951
                                                    • Nov 2005

I love the XPA-1's. Dollar for dollar they have sounded just as good and in some respects better than any of the Rotel's and Classe's I have had in the past. I don't plan on getting rid of these for a long time, they have gobs of power and sound absolutely wonderful. Emotiva is planning a huge price increase on these so if you are on the fence now is the time...

Video of 803D's are already posted just look for my other video's link to see it.

I got a laugh when you said you would listen to the video to see how it sounds, than see if you needed to upgrade... lol
                                                    dan87951
                                                    audio guru

Comment

• wettou
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • May 2006

The days are over for way over priced hi-end audio !!

Emotiva XPA-1 on sale $829* when you buy 2 or more!

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/power-amplifiers/520-a-secrets-power-amplifier-review.html?start=4

$30,000 for a pair of Krell Evolution 600 mono blocks versus $2,000 USD for these amps. Buy a pair of these Emotiva amps and give yourself a holiday around the world and a renovation on your house !!
                                                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• dan87951
                                                        • Nov 2005

Wettou no doubt. I did something similar when I sold my Classe amps..

The XPA-1's are on sale right now for $829 but Emotiva is planning a price increase on all there products beginning in 2011, just check their web forum. I guess the good thing is they are warning there customers about the price increase for people who are on the fence about it should jump now.
                                                        dan87951
                                                        audio guru

Comment

• Glenee
                                                          • Aug 2006

I have owned the XPA-1's, and still would if not for the size and weight. ( Old Fart Back) They are a outstanding piece of equipment at any price, but at $829.00 each they have to be in the Top Ten of all time Audio Buys. I have owned 10K Amps that to my EARS were not as nice of a sound.
                                                          If your young and strong and can move them around there is No Reason not to own them. The thing I like the Best about them was I could change something upstream and could tell there was a change.

Comment

• Pedro
                                                            • Jan 2006

Congrats i saw your yt video and just rocks. Perfect Synergy :T

Comment

• Pio
                                                              • Nov 2005

Awesome set up!!

Question: can you turn the amp's lights off ?
                                                              Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• beden1
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/power-amplifiers/520-a-secrets-power-amplifier-review.html?start=4

$30,000 for a pair of Krell Evolution 600 mono blocks versus $2,000 USD for these amps. Buy a pair of these Emotiva amps and give yourself a holiday around the world and a renovation on your house !!
                                                                You have made statements in the past like this about Emotiva amps without even listening to any of their amps. Have you listened to any Emotiva amps yet, and if so, why are you still powering your system with Classe amps?

Comment

• beden1
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou

I'm sure they sound great for the money! :W

Comment

• dan87951
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Pio
                                                                    Awesome set up!!

Question: can you turn the amp's lights off ?
                                                                    Yes there is a switch in the back to turn the lights off. I actually like seeing them flicker myself..
                                                                    dan87951
                                                                    audio guru

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"