X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cabin Audio
    • Sep 2010

Upgrade to 800 Matrix

Hello all-
    This will be my first post. I've long been into B&W speakers and bought my DM640i floorstanders and DM600i's new. I'm thinking about changing out the smaller speakers and would like some advise on a upgrade.
    Although they are old, my speakers have been very well cared for and still sound great! so I don't mind buying older used speakers as long as they're in good shape. I'm wondering what would be a better move. Buying a used set of 805 Matrix (the very first generation) or going new on the 685's. I've heard some people saying that their 640i's impressed them more than the 683's and that maybe the new "made in China" 600 series is not as good as the older B&W speakers.
    Is the 805 Matrix worth buying, given its age,or should I step up to the 805 nautilus or 805s
    VS. the 685.
    My listening is pretty much everything rock/jazz/classical/opera.
    Thanks in advance.
    Cabin Audio.
  • dan87951
    • Nov 2005

You are comparing a huge price difference between all three choices. If it were me I would purchase the 805S's (not the nautilus) as the tweeter and driver are far superior. Than later down the road upgrade your mains to 803S's or 804S's. But for a budget the 685's are a phenomenal speaker for the money and in my opinion sound better than the older matrix 805's. The matrix speakers are so old that B&W bottom basement line has more technology in them now. The 685's have a far superior tweeter and drive unit in them. Don't let the made in China fool you, there are still very well made!
    dan87951
    audio guru

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"