X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rkburton
    • Feb 2005

Wall mounting Matrix 805 help needed

Wow! It's been a long time since I "lurked" on this forum - almost 4 years! :E

I've ended up moving and my new HT set-up will require mounting my Matrix 805 on the rear wall for rear-fill.
    What speaker mounts would be recommended?
    I'd really prefer to attach the mounts to the back of the speakers, but prior to drilling into the boxes I'd also like some suggestions as to where to place the mount.

I still have not decided if I want to mount the Matrix center (basically an 805 on it's side) on the front wall. I am aware that the sound-stage is not optimum with the speaker that close to the wall, but I'm using the top of the front rack for the TV as I had to leave my screen in the last house (so no more projector)

If there is any interest, I can post some old HT and new HT pictures.

Parasound Halo C2
    Krell 250 a/3
    Krell 250a
    Krell 250a
    B&W 801 Matrix Series 2
    B&W HTM Matrix Center
    B&W 804 (side surrounds)
    B&W 805 (rear surrounds)
    Samsung 46" 750TOC
  • rkburton
    • Feb 2005

Anyone?

Parasound Halo C2
    Krell 250 a/3
    Krell 250a
    Krell 250a
    B&W 801 Matrix Series 2
    B&W HTM Matrix Center
    B&W 804 (side surrounds)
    B&W 805 (rear surrounds)
    Samsung 46" 750TOC

Comment

• emig5m
      • Aug 2008

This seems to be a common question with regard to using B&W bookshelf speakers as rears wall mounted. As many threads as I've seen on this subject on other forums, there doesn't appear to be a solid answer to this question (hence the possible reason no reply to your post). It would be nice if B&W would offer a nice wall mount solution for their bookshelves that allowed some swivel/pointing to it since a lot of people want to use them as rear channels in surround wall mounted (there is furniture in the way for me to use stands and maybe some people also don't want to tie up floor space for rear channels).

For a temporary solution I made some shelves for my 685's. I would like the idea of a wall mount that also allowed the speaker to be aimed and swiveled. I thought that maybe a small LCD panel wall mount might do the ticket.

With using the above method you would be able to have some level of fine tuning with being able to move the speakers in and out from the wall, and also point/pivot/direct it. You could always paint them to match the color of your wall/speakers. The wall mounts my dealer had where solid (i.e. no ability to angle/point the speaker) and I want to be able to at least toe them into the sweet spot. I would try those flat panel mounts (they're relatively cheap), but I'm content with using the shelves I made for now.

Now Walmart has these speaker wall mounts that look like they would bolt into the stock B&W bracket so you wouldn't have to drill into the cabinet (much preferred) but say they only support up to 10lbs:

The 685's are 15.4 lbs not to mention they're deep and you have to factor in the leverage factor amplifying the force on the mounts so I would have a hard time trusting them with the 685 or any other B&W bookshelf since they seem to be made for HTIB/small satellite speakers. Same same design maybe with a 'up-to' of 20lbs I might trust more. I should take them out of the package and see how strong they're built...maybe they'll work, maybe not. For $10... it wouldn't be worth the gas money to take them back, heh.

EDIT: No way... I tried them and couldn't even lift the speaker off the ground and they where ready to snap (made out of cheap plastic).

Comment

• speakerboy
        • Nov 2005

You may want to consider some "noninvasive" way to mount your speakers. If you ever want to sell your Matrix 805 speakers, you will get less for them with holes drilled in them...but they're your speakers. Do as you please. Have you considered installing shelves to support the speakers?

Comment

• emig5m
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by speakerboy
          You may want to consider some "noninvasive" way to mount your speakers. If you ever want to sell your Matrix 805 speakers, you will get less for them with holes drilled in them...but they're your speakers. Do as you please. Have you considered installing shelves to support the speakers?
          Yup, my exact thought as well. I didn't want to drill holes in the speaker that's why I just built shelves for now until I run across something better.

Comment

• speakerboy
            • Nov 2005

Yes! Once you run into something better, you may regret drilling those holes!

I had 4 Nautilus N805 speakers with stands for my surrounds. When I got a projector, I wanted to wall-mount my N805 speakers with similar hardware above. B&W said drilling holes into the enclosures voids the warranty. In the end, I switched to 4 wall-mounted SCMS speakers and sold my N805 speakers and stands and got most of my money back. It was less hassle, I didn't have to pay extra money for brackets (SCMS comes with a bracket) and the SCMS look much nicer on the wall.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"