Can Classe multichanel amps drive B&W 802D?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antonkk
    • Jan 2010

Can Classe multichanel amps drive B&W 802D?

I know that the mono's are perfect for 802's yet I'll also have to built a m/ch system based on them so I thougt about getting a multichanel amp first and add the monoblocks later when budget allows. Can any of Classe's multichanel amps do 802's justice?
  • ray5
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Antonkk
    I know that the mono's are perfect for 802's yet I'll also have to built a m/ch system based on them so I thougt about getting a multichanel amp first and add the monoblocks later when budget allows. Can any of Classe's multichanel amps do 802's justice?
    Absolutely! I recently moved from a Rotel 1091/1092 setup to Classe Ca 5200. Immense difference. Warm, deep and fuller sound. Whether mono amps will be better? I guess so but don't know that from personal experience.
    Ray

Comment

• Antonkk
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ray5
      Absolutely! I recently moved from a Rotel 1091/1092 setup to Classe Ca 5200. Immense difference. Warm, deep and fuller sound. Whether mono amps will be better? I guess so but don't know that from personal experience.
      Ray

But isn't 5200 only 200 Watt? My current stereo integrated Mcintosh 6900 sounds like garbage with 802s and it's 200 wt per chanel.

Comment

• ray5
        • Dec 2008

But isn't 5200 only 200 Watt? My current stereo integrated Mcintosh 6900 sounds like garbage with 802s and it's 200 wt per chanel.
        Well, I have been told that it's not how much that counts it the quality that does. I am sure folks with more technical experience will chime in. The Rotels I had were 500 wpc. I am not a audiophile by any standards but was able to hear the difference immediately and not because I wanted to. I switched back and forth and it was reproducible. Before I did the switch I was very skeptical but am a believer now. See if your dealer would loan you one for a few days and try out. That's the only way to do it.
        I think Classe is coming out with the Delta series in 5300 which is 5 X 300 wpc.
        Ray

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

This statement surprises me. I had an Mac MC205 (200 wpc) running my 802D's for a year. The 802D's sounded quite excellent. Smooth, large soundstage, good bass. So your 6900 should do nicely with the 802D's. Seems to me something else might be an issue. The room, other parts of the system? What is the issue bothering you?

I agree with Ray. The Classe 5200 (or even the MC205 to keep in the MAc family) should work nicely with the 802D's.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Antonkk
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by htsteve
            This statement surprises me. I had an Mac MC205 (200 wpc) running my 802D's for a year. The 802D's sounded quite excellent. Smooth, large soundstage, good bass. So your 6900 should do nicely with the 802D's. Seems to me something else might be an issue. The room, other parts of the system? What is the issue bothering you?

I agree with Ray. The Classe 5200 (or even the MC205 to keep in the MAc family) should work nicely with the 802D's.

Hope this helps.
            I'm absolutely sure it's the autoformers which are not suited for a difficult impendance. The amp struggles, it suffocates and went into powerguard several times. It doesn't have any punch and all frequanies sound compressed, muddy and harsh. When I connet my MCD301 straight into poweramp inputs bypassing the pre section it actually sounds more dynamic but still very poor. I was a long time follewer of Mac, now I don't believe that it's a good match for B&Ws.

Comment

• Skyblue
              • Jun 2009

I've ordered the 802di's and if they should ever arrive, I'll power them with icepower asx250 I believe modules, and if I dont like the sound, I'll get the ca 5300. That should do it.
              B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• htsteve
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

I'm absolutely sure it's the autoformers which are not suited for a difficult impendance. The amp struggles, it suffocates and went into powerguard several times. It doesn't have any punch and all frequanies sound compressed, muddy and harsh. When I connet my MCD301 straight into poweramp inputs bypassing the pre section it actually sounds more dynamic but still very poor. I was a long time follewer of Mac, now I don't believe that it's a good match for B&Ws.

Totally wierd. When I went from MC205 (no autoformers) to the MC252 (250 wpc with the autoformers), I noticed the autoformers had the opposite effect that you describe. They absolutely drive the 802D's. Bass control and soundstage were particularly improved with the autoformers.

The fact it went into powerguard is concerning. Maybe their is something wrong with the 6900. Have you contacted your dealer?

Hope this helps.
                Last edited by htsteve; 09 September 2010, 18:47 Thursday.

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

I have the CA-5200 and it works beautifully, and my wife is often telling me please lower the volume :B

I wish I could afford three CA-M600 but at $21K I have other priorities
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• ray5
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by wettou
                    I have the CA-5200 and it works beautifully, and my wife is often telling me please lower the volume :B

Same here!
                    Ray

Comment

• Antonkk
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by wettou

Does 5200 double at 4 Ohms like the Classe stereo amps do?

Comment

• htsteve
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Does 5200 double at 4 Ohms like the Classe stereo amps do?

Almost, it goes to 370 wpc.

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by htsteve
                          Almost, it goes to 370 wpc.
                          Close very close Also the 5300 is only 300W so if you want a real ste up you have to at least double the power to get 3db + remember it is logarithmic scale not linear :B

I would just get the mono blocs Delta 600M and then you won't have to worry, please let me know if you do I would love to hear them :W
                          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• jpbas1
                            • Jan 2009

I just bought a pair of 802Ds as well... I anticipate greatness.
                            B&W 805D; Sonus Faber Cremona M Auditors; McIntosh MC 252; C-48; Audible Illusions Modulus 3; MCD 201; Wadia i170; MIT and Kimber cables.

Comment

• htsteve
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

jpbas1,

I see you have the excellent MC252. I had a 252 driving 802D's. It is a superb combination.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

I'm driving 3 x 802D frontend with a Krell Evo 403e and I am very satisfied with this. I am unable to give any comparative information due to lack of experience specifically in the realm of other amps (other than Krell KAV) driving my frontend. It is difficult to do, I know ... but I would always recommend that one tries to audition and compare before buying. Having said this, I didn't do this when I bought the EVO 403e.
                                Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"