"New" amps for the N802... was it worth it?... look inside.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

"New" amps for the N802... was it worth it?... look inside.

OK, quick breakdown of how this has evolved...

About a year and a half ago, I aquired some N802s, and at that time I didnt have much money for an amp, so I picked up a used Aragon 4004.

Immediate thoughts, works, sounds good, but as suspected, needed some more power, the bottom end was lacking.

Few weeks ago, I picked up a Monster 3250 (250x3) just to fulfill my curiosity how these amps sound. Thoughts, sound great, very detailed, quality built amp IMO, but still as my assumption, power was still on the light side.

Now today, my pair of Bryston 7B NRBs showed up (old, but great condition, original boxes, consecutive serial numbers, well cared for).
    Plugged those in and powerd em up.
    Thoughts, slight "turn on pop", but how did they sound.... great! Me = 8)
    The bottom end (as I was told prior) is finally there! The bass that I would get from a powerd sub is now there AND SOME with just the 802s. The amps are a dual monos, and the speakers are wired in the (series, down to 4 ohm) setting.

Im very happy with the sound so far, have a pair of Salamander amp stands on the way.

I can say Im finally starting to become happy with the room. These amps were just the icing on the cake.

Still have a few things I want to finish up before I take some new pics. But the room has progressed quite a bit over the last few months.
    Next few weeks I will be finally getting around to treating the room as best I can. Then the setup should really shine.

I am finally pleased with my power section.

Only downfall.... My productivity with other work around the house seems to continue to fall off with the improvements with the stereo.... spend many hrs a day just veggin......
    Last edited by Race Car Driver; 25 July 2006, 01:11 Tuesday.
    B&W
  • Joey_V
    • Jul 2005

Congrats man!

I cant believe how far you've come in the few years or year where you went from nothing to SOMETHING (as great as the 802N).

:T
    Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
    Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
    System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• ShadowZA
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
      .... My productivity with other work around the house seems to continue to fall off with the improvements with the stereo.... spend many hrs a day just veggin......
      Now that's what I call LIVIN'

Congratulations on your Brystons, Race Car Driver. :T
      You've climbed a long & steep mountain and now it's time to enjoy.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
        OK, quick breakdown of how this has evolved...

About a year and a half ago, I aquired some N802s, and at that time I didnt have much money for an amp, so I picked up a used Aragon 4004.

Immediate thoughts, works, sounds good, but as suspected, needed some more power, the bottom end was lacking.

Few weeks ago, I picked up a Monster 3250 (250x3) just to fulfill my curiosity how these amps sound. Thoughts, sound great, very detailed, quality built amp IMO, but still as my assumption, power was still on the light side.

Now today, my pair of Bryston 7B NRBs showed up (old, but great condition, original boxes, consecutive serial numbers, well cared for).
        Plugged those in and powerd em up.
        Thoughts, slight "turn on pop", but how did they sound.... great! Me = 8)
        The bottom end (as I was told prior) is finally there! The bass that I would get from a powerd sub is now there AND SOME with just the 802s. The amps are a dual monos, and the speakers are wired in the (series, down to 4 ohm) setting.

Im very happy with the sound so far, have a pair of Salamander amp stands on the way.

I can say Im finally starting to become happy with the room. These amps were just the icing on the cake.

Still have a few things I want to finish up before I take some new pics. But the room has progressed quite a bit over the last few months.
        Next few weeks I will be finally getting around to treating the room as best I can. Then the setup should really shine.

I am finally pleased with my power section.

Only downfall.... My productivity with other work around the house seems to continue to fall off with the improvements with the stereo.... spend many hrs a day just veggin......
        Chris,

Glad to see that the Bryston's have made you happy. They should last forever.

I got my 7B ST's about a week ago and although I am very happy with the sound quality, my N801's still seem to be lacking in bass. The rest of the Audio chain (preamp and source) does very well with my Klipsch Belles (including the bass) but I am not getting nearly as much as I had though that I would.

The 805s that I heard seemed to have more bass in that particular room. My room is about 19 feet wide, 9' ceilings and about 45 feet deep (it is connected to my kitchen).

I am going to try the N801's in a different room to see if that makes a big difference. I also have a Musical Fidelity A308CR preamp on the way. I don't expect a big difference but I will have a remote (my tube preamp does not have one).

Chris

Comment

• Race Car Driver
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Hey Chris, thanks again for the heads up on the Brystons!!

Not every day someone thanks you for helping them spend alot of their money eh? :lol:

Enjoy yours, Im sure those N801s like just suck up the power and need some breathing room!
          B&W

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"