X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • See-Fu
    • Oct 2006

Krell vs. Classe

I've been able to track down a demo for each of these two amps, Classe CA5200 & Krell HTS/TAS (both 5x200). Both are the same price so Ii'll be considering both. What differences can I expect from the amps in terms of sound output? Also in your own personal opinion which amp would you buy?
  • dknightd
    • Mar 2006

Good for you. In my past experience classe seemed to be a little smoother in the upper frequencies, but the krell seemed to hit harder in the bass. Both are very good brands, and what I heard years ago may not coincide with what they are making today. Probably either is a very very nice amp. Listen to both, choose which sounds best to you, if they sound simlar buy the one that looks best to you. Really I don't see how you can go wrong. Both are probably very nice.

Comment

• jmourik
      • Nov 2006

I listened to a Classe CA5200 and thought it was sounding GREAT. I ended buying the Rotel RB1090, which I thought was very good, and cheap :-) Didn't want to spend the extra money on the Classe, even though it sounds better. Very refined. Of course, if I ever have around $5K burning a hole in my pocket, I'll upgrade :-) But at that point I'll have to listen to the other amps in that price range too, obviously.

So what did you end up going for?

Comment

• style
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2006

classè/krell

@ See-Fu,

my little opinion,

Krell if do you like music "hard" rock-rock-blues-... & HT. This is my personaly choice.
        ---
        rotel RB1090 is great apli but in stereo krell/rotel is a step up.(in price and
        quality /construction&prestation)

What for speakers?

Omar
        switzerland

Comment

• docp
          • Dec 2006

What's your speaker setup?
          I can't comment on the Krell, but I heard the 5200 with a SSP 600 running B&W 803D as fronts. The sound was amazing for HT and for 2 channel. Detailed but not fatiguing.

My vote for the Classe. I have a CA2200 with CP500 running B&W 803s and I'm very happy with the sound.

Comment

• Kobus
            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by docp
            My vote for the Classe. I have a CA2200 with CP500 running B&W 803s and I'm very happy with the sound.
            Mmmm can not wait for my cp500 to arive.

I think that these two are so close, that if you can not listen to both, I would go on looks. Yes !!! looks do count for me.

Kobus

Comment

• Charles
              • Jul 2006

I have to agree with style. Krell for home theater and rock music, Classe and Mac for more warmth.

Comment

• jmourik
                • Nov 2006

Good to know. I really loved the B&W - Classe combination!

Comment

• gross30
                  • Jun 2005

I use Classe Monoblocks for mains, and a Krell 3 chanel for HT, and I like the sound of both.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                    • Apr 2006

I have always liked the smoooth top end of the Classe amps. The Delta series seem to have a bit more detail and "crispness" than previous designs without giving up that liquid warmth.....its lovely...especially on Martin Logans.....but there is just something about that Krell sound that is so.....so.....just right. THey have gobs of authority in the low end and the midrange and high end have a lot of life and detail without being overly forward or bright. THe FPB700CX (1400W/ch!!!) on the Wilson MAXX II fronted by a VTL TL 7.5 and Krell KPS28 was just phenomenal in what it could reproduce in our demo room.....

I vote for both......but pick which one sounds best to you. If possible, go back several times for auditions....use the same music in the same order...and get used to both of them...either way you go, you will be happy!

Comment

• Charles
                      • Jul 2006

Yep, as stated over and over on this forum listen for yourself, I had several listening sessions with Krell, Mac and Classe before choosing. The one I was leaning toward after reading the forums didn't end up in my room. All of them had favorable attributes which makes it a personal decision based on your ears and use.

Comment

• Kobus
                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Charles
                        Yep, as stated over and over on this forum listen for yourself.
                        Might not be relevant in this case, but remember that not all of us have the oppurtunity to demo.

Kobus

Comment

• Charles
                          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Kobus
                          Might not be relevant in this case, but remember that not all of us have the oppurtunity to demo.

Kobus
                          Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that. In my case I really wanted to include Levinson and few others which were just too far away to demo.

Comment

• See-Fu
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Audiophiliac
                            I have always liked the smoooth top end of the Classe amps. The Delta series seem to have a bit more detail and "crispness" than previous designs without giving up that liquid warmth.....its lovely...especially on Martin Logans.....but there is just something about that Krell sound that is so.....so.....just right. THey have gobs of authority in the low end and the midrange and high end have a lot of life and detail without being overly forward or bright. THe FPB700CX (1400W/ch!!!) on the Wilson MAXX II fronted by a VTL TL 7.5 and Krell KPS28 was just phenomenal in what it could reproduce in our demo room.....

I vote for both......but pick which one sounds best to you. If possible, go back several times for auditions....use the same music in the same order...and get used to both of them...either way you go, you will be happy!
                            I have to agree. I ended up with the Krell amp and the amount of punch there is on the low end is simply amazing. I went from using a rotel rsx 1057 to a krell kav 2250 to power my fronts speakers and the change was amazing. When I took the amp to a relatives house and we swaped out his rotel 1080 with the krell kav 2250, the first thing we noticed were the mids and highs. The brightness was gone on the highs and the mids just came alive. I just hope this amp doesn't lead me to swap out my speakers anytime soon, as an upgrade would be extremely expensive for a HT setup.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"