X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeTheLion
    • Feb 2009

Blu-ray / DVD / CD together ?

I have B&W N802 driven by Classé CAV-180 and Classé SSP30 pre/pro. Recently my Classe CD/DVD1 started creating problems; for some reason stops to play after a couple of hours' play and says 'no disc' or the screen goes crazy with strange symbols etc. Where I live I don't have the possibility to get it repaired.

At the same time I need to buy a blu-ray player.

The question is are there players on the market which can handle all of the formats (blu-ray, dvd and cd) well ?

Many Thanks
  • emig5m
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by JoeTheLion
    I have B&W N802 driven by Classé CAV-180 and Classé SSP30 pre/pro. Recently my Classe CD/DVD1 started creating problems; for some reason stops to play after a couple of hours' play and says 'no disc' or the screen goes crazy with strange symbols etc. Where I live I don't have the possibility to get it repaired.

At the same time I need to buy a blu-ray player.

The question is are there players on the market which can handle all of the formats (blu-ray, dvd and cd) well ?

Many Thanks
    Yea... Home Theater PC! All those formats, plus everything else you could imagine! :T

Comment

• JoeTheLion
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by emig5m
      Yea... Home Theater PC! All those formats, plus everything else you could imagine! :T
      Thanks for the fast reply I'm concerned about cd sound quality though, as this is my top priority and I also need analogue output.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

There are many but most do their best with HDMI outputs, not analog. There are, of course, the Oppos and the Oppo-based players as well as universals from Onkyo (don't laugh), Denon and Marantz.
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• JoeTheLion
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
          There are many but most do their best with HDMI outputs, not analog. There are, of course, the Oppos and the Oppo-based players as well as universals from Onkyo (don't laugh), Denon and Marantz.
          I found this Marantz:

The thing is, electronics advance fast, and could it be that a much cheaper Marantz something could be producing comparable sound to my old Classe CD/DVD1 ?

Comment

• JoeTheLion
            • Feb 2009

Another option:
            Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, OPPO Digital designs and markets high quality digital electronics that deliver style, performance, innovation, and value to A/V enthusiasts and savvy consumers alike. The company's attention to core product performance and strong customer focus distinguishes it from traditional consumer-electronics brands.

Comment

• style
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2006

Hallo,

the oppo is 10 x better from the little Marantz!!!! no competition.
              with the Marantz 8004 or Denon 4010 the Oppo is the winner:

the Pirates of Caribbean -charge time: Denon/Marant 1min. 32sec. with the Oppo: 21second!

The Oppo in europa is more much expensive from the USA but is another levet!!! you dont waste you more with a 7004 (very entry level !!!)

style

Comment

• Briz vegas
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

A couple of things come to mind.

From my own experience I have just moved from a naim cd5x to a naim DAC running off a Mac. Computer audio is not plug and play but the sound I am getting is much better than the cd player,
                of course by the time you add the Weiss interface and computer it is more expensive than the cd player I was using. In short sound quality can be better but may take some effort.

I looked into the oppo players. They have an se model with better analogue but there are also companies that modify these players further and reports are that they sound very good. Some people don't like modified stuff so this may not be for you.

Last point, you have a classe sap with it's own dac which I would assume is of high quality. Maybe your best bet is to just get the best transport you can. This could well be a computer.

I find I get best sound from the laptop running from batteries (no mains issues at source), using memory play (RAM buffer), in pure music's "hog" mode, using FireWire connection (Weiss interface). Been having some teething problems with the software but I think that is because I used the laptop for other things. I am starting to think the computer in computer audio needs to be a dedicated machine.

That's my 2 cents worth.
                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• stuofsci02
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2009

Hi,

I thought I'd chime in.. I have the Oppo BDP-83SE and I must say, it is the best blu-ray player I have seen, and to top it off CD and SACD through the analog outs are nothing short of exceptional..

I used to use a Rotel RCD-1072 and the Oppo is the clear winner for CD playback.. I have also compared to other products including Cambridge Audio DAC and haven't found anything better...
                  Main System:
                  B&W 801D
                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                  Oppo BDP-105
                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                  B&W CM7
                  Emotiva UMC-1
                  Emotiva UPA-2
                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• David G
                    • Jan 2005

Forget a HTPC - too much hassle.
                    I've been using the Oppo BDP-83SE for 6 months - it does everything you ask and more. Fuss free, beautiful picture, and audio. It really does full justice to every medium.

Comment

• jericho
                      • Dec 2004

The Denon can handle every format

Comment

• JoeTheLion
                        • Feb 2009

Thanks a lot for all the insight and info, especially from Oppo owners; it was very helpful. Briz Vegas; I now understand it is a good option to go with a transport and I can do it with a pc but as I need DVD and blu-ray I think I'll go with the Oppo 83 se. It is good that it can be made region free with hardware, whic is very important for me too.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"