X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TommyV
    • Feb 2007

Classe Audio SSP30 MKII vs Rotel RSP-1068

I am curious is buying a used pre/pro, which of these would be superior? I am very familiar with the 1068 and love the sound but I know nothing about the SSP30 MKII. Is it superior or is it the same or less and only more sought after because it is a Classe? Anyone who could shed light on this I would really appreciate it.
  • begood
    • Oct 2005

I never owned either piece. However, I used to own the Rotel 1056 receiver and I now own the Classe SSP 300. I believe the pre-amp section of the 1068 is the same as the 1056. From what I recall of the Rotel, it sounds thinner and sterile compared to the Classe SSP 300. However, I do recall the Rotel being just as good if not better than the Classe in terms of micro details and dynamic range. The Classe SSP 300 has a warmer sound, larger soundstage and better control in the low end. At times, the Rotel would sound harsh in the top-end. Of course this is not a direct comparison of the SSPs you are considering, but it may help you to make a decision. Classe SSP30 MKII is the predecessor to the SSP 300 so I would think the sound is similar between the two

Comment

• TommyV
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by begood
      I never owned either piece. However, I used to own the Rotel 1056 receiver and I now own the Classe SSP 300. I believe the pre-amp section of the 1068 is the same as the 1056. From what I recall of the Rotel, it sounds thinner and sterile compared to the Classe SSP 300. However, I do recall the Rotel being just as good if not better than the Classe in terms of micro details and dynamic range. The Classe SSP 300 has a warmer sound, larger soundstage and better control in the low end. At times, the Rotel would sound harsh in the top-end. Of course this is not a direct comparison of the SSPs you are considering, but it may help you to make a decision. Classe SSP30 MKII is the predecessor to the SSP 300 so I would think the sound is similar between the two
      That is interesting. I do wonder how closely related the SSP 30 MKII and SSP 300 actually are are though. I have heard the SSP300/600 and I thought the sound was pretty amazing. Of course I am also a big fan of the sound of the RSP-1068. I was under the impression the newer SSP-300/600 were pretty much ground up new designs but I do not know this for certain.

Also If you were using the RSX-1056, I assume you were utilizing the internal amps. While I think the 1056/1057 are excellent sounding receivers, the internal amps do not compare to the amps that would most likely be hooked to the SSP 300 or RSP 1068. So the differences you were hearing could have been attributed to the upgrade in amp if you were using one with the SSP 300 and not with the 1056.

I would love to find a good deal on a SSP 300. I have been on the look out for a nice SSP 30 MKII because $1500 for a used 300 is just more than I would want to spend for a pre owned pre/pro. Maybe if it was a demo model or on clearance so I could get the warranty.

Comment

• begood
        • Oct 2005

I started off using the internal amps of the 1056, but I was using it as a pre/pro before I replaced it.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"