X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by HedgeHog
    Gerardhn seems to have a hard time believing any replies...very X-Files "Trust No One"
    No worries, conspiracy theory....:W
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by style
      Well if you go listne the new 802Di and the 802D ad you don't understand the difference is not easy.....are 2 differente speakers!! from the little 805 to the big 800... is ot only a restyling operation!! I like much more the new B&W sound: I have listen a "old" 802D and the new 803Di: I purchase the new 803Di. :T style

Of course you have, and we are happy for you :B

For those of us who don't have a money tree we are happy with our 802D and will wait until true revolutionary improvements are made rather than marketing ones.....
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• gerardhn
        • Jun 2005

Wettou,

Nobody has a money tree. But we should not let our observation "improved or not" be influenced wether our money tree is full or not.
        Yes it is hard to believe for me if I hear people say " I can upgrade for 3 k" , " no my dealer doesnot advice to upgrade" .
        Because the upgrade wil cost about 6-7k, and any dealer wants to have that money in their books.
        But us usual -in all aspects of daily live- if somebody makes an unbelievable remark...than there is more going on, which is not mentioned.

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by gerardhn
          Wettou,

Nobody has a money tree. But we should not let our observation "improved or not" be influenced wether our money tree is full or not.
          Yes it is hard to believe for me if I hear people say " I can upgrade for 3 k" , " no my dealer doesnot advice to upgrade" .
          Because the upgrade wil cost about 6-7k, and any dealer wants to have that money in their books.
          But us usual -in all aspects of daily live- if somebody makes an unbelievable remark...than there is more going on, which is not mentioned.
          Did Confucius say that? :W

Comment

• HedgeHog
            • Dec 2008

Yes it is hard to believe for me if I hear people say " I can upgrade for 3 k" , ....Because the upgrade wil cost about 6-7k, and any dealer wants to have that money in their books.
            Don't know why I care but I do....here's what I said in my email to my dealer and his reply:

ME:

Hi Alec,

Just revisiting this. Is the price quote per speaker or the pair for the 802Di? Also, what would the shipping costs be?

Cheers,
            Hedwig

DEALER:

Good morning Hedwig,

Sorry cannot get back to you sooner. I was off yesterday.

Price quoted for 802Di is $3,800/pair plus GST and your trade. I will need to check for shipping and insurance.

Regards,

Alec L

Again, my dealer is in Canada...not sure if that makes any difference.
            Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
            Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
            B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
            Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
            Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• gerardhn
              • Jun 2005

Hedge Hoc,

Amazing!. Pls do directly!. What are you hesitating?
              Can I immigrate to there? That must be heaven!
              Really the promised country as we see in the movies.
              Thinking... can I as "old" european do something with that info??

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

Of course you have, and we are happy for you

For those of us who don't have a money tree we are happy with our 802D and will wait until true revolutionary improvements are made rather than marketing ones.....
                wettou, I dont have a money tree!!!!
                sure the 802D sound good: we have listen and always say "the 802D is a great speaker and sound amazing" -> this to the coming of the new diamont serie.
                than the "old" serie was only "shit"??? NO.
                is only that the new serie sound good, very good. FOR ME is better as the old serie. I pay the $$ to have the new serie: if for you is not enough this improvement from the new B&W speakers to change it is another point.

I like the 802D/di , more as the 800 (too big for a normal room, I dont have a dedicat HT piece), but the 802 are bigger as the 803.
                I must choice: or the 802D (demo) or the803Di new. same price: I'm go with the 803Di and I'm satisfait.
                that's all: depends on your needs! by their priority.

I agree with gerardhn: in Europa if you change/upgrade from a 802d to a 802Di is much more money as the 3800.-$$.
                if you are a luckyman your dealer retires - includes your 802D!

personally I got a discount (good discount :W ), a coupon but the 803D has not been resumed. are still at my home.

or if there is a revival of old material no discount!

Are interested in making your 802d to 40% of the price paid?
                not me: I keep at home.

style

Comment

• HedgeHog
                  • Dec 2008

Gerard,

Not sure why you need the attitude. You asked what dealers are offering, I provide one real example. Then you go and say you doubt it (basically implying that I made it up and you do not believe it). So I show you the actual wording. Now you act like this? Good luck...I hope your future dealer screws you over so that can make that healthy margin. :T

BTW, I AM still deciding...I have to order the 802Di and HTM2Di to match...further, I would also need to get a new sub in gloss black to make it a set since I currently run a flat black F113.

Enough explanation?

Ciao,
                  Hedwig

Hedge Hoc,

Amazing!. Pls do directly!. What are you hesitating?
                  Can I immigrate to there? That must be heaven!
                  Really the promised country as we see in the movies.
                  Thinking... can I as "old" european do something with that info??
                  Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                  Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• vn1
                    • May 2009

I don't think it is worth it to move from 802D to 802Di unless it costs very little. Why don't you save more money and then move up to 800Di instead.

Comment

• beden1
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by vn1
                      I don't think it is worth it to move from 802D to 802Di unless it costs very little. Why don't you save more money and then move up to 800Di instead.
                      That does make a lot of sense! :T

Comment

• gerardhn
                        • Jun 2005

Hedge,

I act as I act because your offer of 3.8 k is truly amazing.
                        Maybe you dont see it yourself... but with 2 k price increase a net depreciation of 1.8 k is low.
                        Nobody else is getting that good offer. Style is giving Maybe your offer would be normal if it was per box. But your email shows it is not.
                        Get it! I'am jaleous.
                        Gerard.

Comment

• gerardhn
                          • Jun 2005

Hedge,

I act as I act because your offer of 3.8 k is truly amazing.
                          Maybe you dont see it yourself... but with 2 k price increase a net depreciation of 1.8 k is low.
                          Nobody else is getting that good offer. Style is giving some real business dealer world examples! Maybe your offer would be normal if it was per box. But your email shows it is not.
                          Get it! I'am jaleous.
                          Gerard.

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by vn1
                            Yes that an great option

Comment

• jericho
                              • Dec 2004

Perhaps considering an upgrade of your electronics is a better solution than going from de D series to the Di series!!!

Comment

• gerardhn
                                • Jun 2005

Funny way the tread goes.
                                Instead of getting many upgrade prices ...... i see more people (B&W fans) asking themselves ... shall I do, is it worth it, is it a real upgrade?, buy other electronics with my money..??
                                There seems no big army infected with the Di upgrade virus.... One would expect that at this forum.. Strange..

Comment

• beden1
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2006

Funny way the tread goes.
                                  Instead of getting many upgrade prices ...... i see more people (B&W fans) asking themselves ... shall I do, is it worth it, is it a real upgrade?, buy other electronics with my money..??
                                  There seems no big army infected with the Di upgrade virus.... One would expect that at this forum.. Strange..
                                  I think it may have more to do with the poor economy than with how the new series speakers sound.

I also think people are probably happy with their B&W Diamond Series speakers, and have no great desire to upgrade.

Comment

• Birdy
                                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                                    I think it may have more to do with the poor economy than with how the new series speakers sound.

I also think people are probably happy with their B&W Diamond Series speakers, and have no great desire to upgrade.
                                    There is some truth in there 8)

Comment

• Birdy
                                      • Mar 2006

Dear users,

To upgrade there are to ways to go.

1. Sell them privately and buy new and ask as much as possible discount.

2. Go to your dealer and ask him what it costs to replace the old ones for new ones.

What do you think is reasonable to pay the dealer for the upgrade 802 d---> di

Given:

old price 12 k, new price 14 k, 4 years old speakers.

Your experience or opinion please.

THx Gerard.
                                      Here in Italy:

Dealer would take back my 3 years 802D for around 6K :E :E :E
                                      Dealer would sell new 802Di for around 12.5k 8O 8O 8O

I will stick with my "old" 802D 8) 8) 8)

Comment

• gerardhn
                                        • Jun 2005

Birdy,

Now i know you are from italy!
                                        (not so important, but nice to know if somebody is from € or $ area, not visible from yr profile)

so you have to pay 6,5 K

what is your motivation NOT to upgrade?

Comment

• Canuck525
                                          • Sep 2010

To the guy in B.C. Take that deal before your dealer comes to his senses!!!!

Comment

• Birdy
                                            • Mar 2006

Birdy,

Now i know you are from italy! Not exactly..... :P , living in Italy, but oorspronkelijk meer buurman van jou!
                                            (not so important, but nice to know if somebody is from € or $ area, not visible from yr profile)

so you have to pay 6,5 K

what is your motivation NOT to upgrade?
                                            Simply not that kind of money available right now for a dubious upgrade.
                                            Remember: I know what I have and I'm quite happy with it, dunno what I could have, never listened to new 802, will most probably not be able to listen inside my own environment to compare and better refrain to listen to them
                                            Birdy

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                              • Dec 2008

hope links are ok. so, dayum! http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....Di-Diamond-who

-H

Comment

• beden1
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2006

Well if you go listne the new 802Di and the 802D ad you don't understand the difference is not easy.....

are 2 differente speakers!! from the little 805 to the big 800... is ot only a restyling operation!!

I like much more the new B&W sound: I have listen a "old" 802D and the new 803Di: I purchase the new 803Di. :T

style
                                                Omar,

I may have the chance to get a decent deal on a pair of either the 805Di or the 804Di, to use in a stereo setup that I'm putting together to primarily listen to LPs.

You mentioned having heard the 805Di and the 804Di speakers, along with your new 803Di speakers. Are the 805Di bass shy, or do you feel they can stand on their own to handle 70's style rock n' roll? Also, can the 804Di really handle the full range of music with ample bass response, and do you think these would do a better job? The specs on the 804Di looks fairly good with a frequency response of 38Hz - 28kHz ±3dB, and sensitivity of 90dB spl (2.83V, 1m).

I really didn't want to spend this kind of money, but I know I'd hate listening to a speaker that has obvious shortcomings. I do not want to go up to the 803Di price range for this system. I also can't add a sub woofer with my pre-amp, so the speakers will have to carry the load by themselves (like the old days).

The basement room has a 7'6" suspended ceiling and wall-to-wall carpeting, with a couch located in front of the entertainment center, and the speakers will have a 7 foot spread.

Comment

• style
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Feb 2006

Hi Brooks,

well if you will make a new system for listen vinyls = a pure analog stereo setup the 805DI are sure the "small" : they have a great sound this is sure but for a good system and you have your ears at the level from the big system with the 803D, htm2d,2 sub,...big Classe monoblock.... too much different....

I dont know what you go use as ampli, but a good 804DI is sure to listen.
                                                  and the room is very important: the 40% of the sound come from your room! if you go with a 803d you can have a bad surprise, with a "boomy effects"...
                                                  the new 803di is very different. In my room the 803di make a great job: the LF are very controlled and sound amazing.
                                                  if you go with a ampli around the cap2100 from Classe the 804di and a good turntable can be a good surprise but if you go with a 200watt into the 804di wait!! the 803DI is your speaker!
                                                  Please let me know what do you go decide...

Omar

Comment

• beden1
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Oct 2006

Hi Brooks,

well if you will make a new system for listen vinyls = a pure analog stereo setup the 805DI are sure the "small" : they have a great sound this is sure but for a good system and you have your ears at the level from the big system with the 803D, htm2d,2 sub,...big Classe monoblock.... too much different....

I dont know what you go use as ampli, but a good 804DI is sure to listen.
                                                    and the room is very important: the 40% of the sound come from your room! if you go with a 803d you can have a bad surprise, with a "boomy effects"...
                                                    the new 803di is very different. In my room the 803di make a great job: the LF are very controlled and sound amazing.
                                                    if you go with a ampli around the cap2100 from Classe the 804di and a good turntable can be a good surprise but if you go with a 200watt into the 804di wait!! the 803DI is your speaker!
                                                    Please let me know what do you go decide...

Omar
                                                    I forgot to mention that the listening position on the couch will be 7', so I will have 7'x7'x7'.

I am using a stereo 200 watt amp that doubles to 4ohms. I am currently listening to satellite speakers until I get the new ones. But, even with these small speakers, I am noticing a tendency for bass boom (on a smaller scale of course). Maybe it's the low ceiling, or maybe the amp is providing too much current for the speakers and causing some distortion?

It's tough, because my local B&W dealer only has one set of each for in-store demos, and I'm not able to take any home to see how they sound.

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by beden1
                                                      I forgot to mention that the listening position on the couch will be 7', so I will have 7'x7'x7'.

I am using a stereo 200 watt amp that doubles to 4ohms. I am currently listening to satellite speakers until I get the new ones. But, even with these small speakers, I am noticing a tendency for bass boom (on a smaller scale of course). Maybe it's the low ceiling, or maybe the amp is providing too much current for the speakers and causing some distortion?

It's tough, because my local B&W dealer only has one set of each for in-store demos, and I'm not able to take any home to see how they sound.
                                                      Couldnt you get a couple of 805S for demo instead? I would assume the bass is somewhat similar on those. I have have 805S and they are very nice with bass for their size. But deep base it certainly isnt.
                                                      B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• beden1
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Skyblue
                                                        Couldnt you get a couple of 805S for demo instead? I would assume the bass is somewhat similar on those. I have have 805S and they are very nice with bass for their size. But deep base it certainly isnt.
                                                        No, unfortunately the dealers sold all of their 800D series speakers. Plus, the new 800 Diamond series apparently has a more open sound.

I like deep bass, but it's not a large space to work with, and I'm afraid that a larger floor model speaker may be too overpowering, and not in a good way. Like producing a muddy boomy sound?

Comment

• crytklmass
                                                          • Dec 2008

I just sold my 802D and HTM2D for $11,000 and I paid $13,500 5 years ago so I think I got a great return on my investment. If you dont believe me, its on Audiogon. Im still trying to sell my ASW855 and spikes for the 800 series. If you can get that good of a deal to upgrade to the 8-2di. I would seriously take it. Most offers were 50% off retail, I still cannot believe I sold them for that price considering they are used and expected depreciation. I don't think you'll get another deal like that.
                                                          BOB

Comment

• style
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Feb 2006

I like deep bass, but it's not a large space to work with, and I'm afraid that a larger floor model speaker may be too overpowering, and not in a good way. Like producing a muddy boomy sound?
                                                            Brooks,

for me I dont will go whit a to big speaker. now you have already "boomy LF noise" with a 803D i don't go have pleasure with a vinyls setup!
                                                            The new B&W serie sound very open vs. the old serie. I have self tested with the "old" 803D and the new 803DI now as front in my system. the different is big!! really. you can be happy whit your 803D in the sistem "top" with the 703 as rear but in a room smaller if you have the possbility to listen a 804DI will surprise you. and in a positiv !!

personaly I think that you go have a to much "heavy sound" and you dont' can go listen your music at a good volume...= to much muddy...

maybe a CM7 or 9 can be a good solution????
                                                            Omar

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Canuck525
                                                              To the guy in B.C. Take that deal before your dealer comes to his senses!!!!
                                                              He still hasn't come to his senses so I just ordered them (and w/ the missus' blessings...wth?). Yay for cross-shipping, so I can compare the old 802D w/ the new 802Di...shame my rooms is really not that great (open plan family rooms to kitchen).

*I blame Garak's thread for pushing me over the edge*

Cheers,
                                                              -Hedwig

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

Cool. More pics on the way??? :B

Include both those baddies if you can.
                                                                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• garak
                                                                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by HedgeHog
                                                                  He still hasn't come to his senses so I just ordered them (and w/ the missus' blessings...wth?). Yay for cross-shipping, so I can compare the old 802D w/ the new 802Di...shame my rooms is really not that great (open plan family rooms to kitchen).

*I blame Garak's thread for pushing me over the edge*

Cheers,
                                                                  -Hedwig
                                                                  LOL. Glad I could be of, errr..., help. :B

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jun 2005

Good news!

I placed the order to update/exchange my 802 D to black 802 Di.
                                                                    (stimulate UK economy!!)

Comment

• htsteve
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2004

Good news!

(stimulate UK economy!!)

Excellent!

Comment

• dukester
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2010

Thats one way to make sure you have a happy new year...congrats!
                                                                        McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2008

Good news!

(stimulate UK economy!!)

Congrats....you'll love it!

Comment

• JürgenW
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2004
                                                                            • 156

Hallo,

Can someone tell me how to distinguish a 802D from a 802 Di?
                                                                            (in case there is one or the other offered second-hand)

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Nov 2009
                                                                              • 1241

#83
                                                                              Originally posted by JürgenW
                                                                              Hallo,

Can someone tell me how to distinguish a 802D from a 802 Di?
                                                                              (in case there is one or the other offered second-hand)
                                                                              The nameplate would be your best bet, but after thatL:

1. All the drivers on the 802Di have a silver ring around them.

2. The FST midrange driver has a silver bullet dust cap instead of black

3. The dust caps on the two bass drivers are bigger on the old 802D although this would be hard to tell without having them side by side.

4. The grills are magnetic on the new 802Di. The old 802 has push clips which put 6 little plug clips on the front of the speaker.

5. The logo on the 802D says "B&W" whereas the new 802Di says " Bowers & Wilkins

There may be some other small cosmetic changes, but with all of the above it should be fairly simple to tell.

Cheers,

Stuart
                                                                              Main System:
                                                                              B&W 801D
                                                                              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                              Oppo BDP-105
                                                                              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                              B&W CM7
                                                                              Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                              Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                              Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• JürgenW
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2004
                                                                                • 156

#84
                                                                                Hi Stuart,

Thanks a lot.

Jürgen

Comment

• style
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Feb 2006
                                                                                  • 1562

#85
                                                                                  Hi,

sorry but if so you have a 803/804DI you go invest you money for a 802D "old"????

I have a 803DI and I ca have a new-unopen 802D "old" for 9k $$$
                                                                                  for you is a good choice?

for me NO. = the 803DI as rear and the 802D as front end??? uhmmmm

I buy a 804DI as rear and I keep the 803DI as front end!!!! no doubt!

AND

A dealer in Usa accept the "old" 802D plusmoney tp upgrade for the 802DI??
                                                                                  wow, in europa is not so easy!!! do you must oay the 802DI and if do you have a 802D is yoursel that must sell this last!!!
                                                                                  you have a "easy life"!!!!!

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jun 2005
                                                                                    • 352

#86
                                                                                    Style,

To whom did you adress your last message??? Me???

Gerard

Comment

• style
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2006
                                                                                      • 1562

#87
                                                                                      Hoi Gerard,
                                                                                      nee!
                                                                                      are a simply "idea"

I have the possibility to have a 802D "new, unopen" for 8500Euros....but I have just changed my "old" 803D for a 803DI.
                                                                                      now I dont can immagine a front end changing from 803DI to 802D (FOR ME)

if i buy a 802 muss be a DI serie. a old D is sure a great speaker but the DI sound very amazing!

if you can sell yours 802D yourself = more money versus what your dealer give you!
                                                                                      but need time found a "buyers"! the difference beetwen the dealer price to go with a DI is too much from what a privat give you is your choice.

My dealer dont accept my "old" 803D for upgrade to the 80xDI. = I have a great price with Classé/B&W but not terug to the dealer!

a 802DI I can have with the 20-25% discount but I muss sell to a privat my "old" speakers!

groeten Style

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jun 2005
                                                                                        • 352

#88
                                                                                        Style,

this thread is already sometime old, and we discussed the depreciation or "how much money you have to add".

Dependending on circumstances, I know in meantime, it is between 5 k€ and 8 k€!
                                                                                        Even for you! You pay after discount 11k€. Secondhand sell: 6 k€ .. so add 5 k€. Than you should be happy. less money is not possible, only desirable or a dream.
                                                                                        Gr Gerard.

Comment

• style
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Feb 2006
                                                                                          • 1562

#89
                                                                                          Gerardin but you will change the 802d for a DI or is only a "dream"?

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jun 2005
                                                                                            • 352

#90
                                                                                            Style,

Pls scroll to above and read what I wrote 23 december!!!
                                                                                            I missed your concratulations ... but know I understand why..

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"