X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sleddogg
    • Mar 2008

B&W 610 subwoofer and sonos setup

Hi everyone,
    I recently put a bedroom system up consisting of a pair of B&W 685's and a 610 sub, I am using a sonos 120 to drive the system. The sonos amp is rated at 55 watts/channel and states that it will "recognize" when a sub is connected and direct frequency through it's internal crossover. Documentation states that frequency to be at 80hz.

My question is how to set the 610 sub to be most optimal with the 685's prior to fine tuning through room positioning. The documentiation with the 610 states to set the low pass frequency setting to what the sattelite speakers are rated at -6dbl (for the 685's this would be around 42hz.). But if the sonos amp redirects anything below 80hz to the sub then wouldn't anything between 42 and 80 go unplayed? Am I understanding this correctly. Also the low pass filter switch would have to be in for the frequency dial to be active on a line connection such as the one provided by the sonos. The documentation for the ASW610 states to have the low pass filter set to "out" for Home Theater but to "in" for 2 channel setup. I think in the case of the sonos 120 amp I should be setting it to out and let the sonos take care of the frequency settings but if I do set it to "in" I should have the frequency setting to 80hz so as to capture all of the range that will be passed by the 685's. Am I over thinking this? Is there something I am missing. With the ASW610, if there is a line connection and the low pass is set to "out" is the frequency adjustment turned off or bypassed? Is that setting only active if the filter switch is set to "in" and through the speaker level connections if the switch is set to "out"?
    B&W 683/685/HTM61/ASW610
    Rotel RSP985/Rotel RMB1095/Rotel RCD1072
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

If that Sonos piece has a crossover in it you should set the low pass filter switch to "out" if you are using the line level input on the sub. You don't want to have two crossovers in the same signal path.

If you wanted to try and blend the ASW610 with the 685 you could run parallel speaker runs from the Sonos to the 685 and ASW610 and then use the crossover in the sub to get the best blending. Try it both ways and see what sounds the best.

Eric

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"