X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Highroller
    • Jan 2010

802d and 802di a/b test

Has anyone had a chance to do this test?
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

NO - but I have upgrade my 802D's with new Mundorf cross over caps from their silver/gold/oil range. In my opinion that is the single biggest improvement over the D model.
    SO the result? Much improved clarity, better focus, more depth. The sound stage have been moved 3 feet forward and is more engaging.
    So I assume my observations would be true for the diamond series as well... OR...?

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Highroller
      Has anyone had a chance to do this test?
      Yes I went to my dealer and he had both so I asked him if he could do that for me. I spent an hour comparing the two with same equipment (Marantz, pre-pro, monoblocks and SACD) I tried all sorts of music from Classical, Rock, Blues, Jazz and vocals.

To make a long story short, the result is that the 802Di seemed a little bit better but definitely not worth upgrading from 802D. He even told me unless you have money to burn don't bother as the 802D are excellent and it would not be a smart expense!! Talk about an honest dealer:T

I am thinking about the 805Di for surround to replace my 802 Nautilus that would be awesome.
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by aarsoe
        NO - but I have upgrade my 802D's with new Mundorf cross over caps from their silver/gold/oil range. In my opinion that is the single biggest improvement over the D model.

SO the result? Much improved clarity, better focus, more depth. The sound stage have been moved 3 feet forward and is more engaging.
        So I assume my observations would be true for the diamond series as well... OR...?
        How did you do that? Where can I find these new Mundorf?
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

You can try parts connection.

Comment

• Jonzie
            • Oct 2007

Well, I A/B'ed 804Di and 803D (old). The 804 was much much clearer. I don't know how people in here have been testing, but my experience is that the transparency of the new speakers has been impressively improved. But it also means that they are not AS allround in terms of electronics as the old, as they might become too sharp for very transparent systems. But again, that is beginning a discussion on taste, and then we'll never be home for dinner
            B&W 800 Diamond
            Benchmark DAC1HDR
            Lyngdorf RP-1 (external Roomperfect Processor/Equalizer)
            NAD M3 (temporary poweramp. Waiting for 4x500W AudioWatt modules)
            Rega Apollo 35yr Anniversary Edition CD Player
            Technics 1210 Vinyl Player
            NAD C445 DAB Tuner
            Pioneer PDPLX5090
            PS3

Interconnects: (DAC through RP1 to amp) TL Air1S2, (CD to DAC) Vipera Xanthina Coax, (Vinyl to Analog Pre-amp) VDH Jubilee
            Speaker cables: Oehlbach LS214
            Mains: Vipera Xanthina

Comment

• vlasis
              • May 2007

Originally posted by wettou
              How did you do that? Where can I find these new Mundorf?

http://www.madisound.com/manufacture...capacitors.php :T :T

Comment

• BowersMcIntosh
                • May 2010

Originally posted by aarsoe
                There is 2 crossover boards (HM/L) in 802D and they are in the bottom of the speaker box, which is easier to modify. Does anyone knows or had experiences in modifying 803D? 803D has 3 separated crossover boards H/M/L all over the speaker. I would like to try those MCAP too...

Comment

• Jonzie
                  • Oct 2007

Hello!

Do a google translate on this one. You might find it interesting. It's an A/B test of the 802D vs. 802 Diamond.

B&W 800 Diamond
                  Benchmark DAC1HDR
                  Lyngdorf RP-1 (external Roomperfect Processor/Equalizer)
                  NAD M3 (temporary poweramp. Waiting for 4x500W AudioWatt modules)
                  Rega Apollo 35yr Anniversary Edition CD Player
                  Technics 1210 Vinyl Player
                  NAD C445 DAB Tuner
                  Pioneer PDPLX5090
                  PS3

Interconnects: (DAC through RP1 to amp) TL Air1S2, (CD to DAC) Vipera Xanthina Coax, (Vinyl to Analog Pre-amp) VDH Jubilee
                  Speaker cables: Oehlbach LS214
                  Mains: Vipera Xanthina

Comment

• dan87951
                    • Nov 2005

I listen to the same setup 804Di and 803D's and found the 803D's much better! The 804Di's sound thin and definitely couldn't fill out the lower end compared to the 803D's.
                    dan87951
                    audio guru

Comment

• JesperA
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by dan87951
                      I listen to the same setup 804Di and 803D's and found the 803D's much better! The 804Di's sound thin and definitely couldn't fill out the lower end compared to the 803D's.
                      Thats pretty obvious, its a big difference between the old 804D and 803D, the 803Di sure can fill out equal or even more then the 803D

Comment

• stuofsci02
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by dan87951
                        Can you elaborate on what tonal qualitys made you feel the 803D was "much" better then the 804Di?

I think it is a given that the 804Di will not compete with the 803D when it comes to lower end. It is just a function of air volume. For those of us who are not as interested in bottom end or who will use subs to augment the bottom end, can you add anything to your comparison in terms of soundstage, midrange, treble etc?

Thanks,

Stuart
                        Main System:
                        B&W 801D
                        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                        Oppo BDP-105
                        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                        B&W CM7
                        Emotiva UMC-1
                        Emotiva UPA-2
                        Oppo BDP-83SE
                        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"