X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigchief
    • Mar 2010

Krell and B&W owners

In my research to upgrade. I had my heart set on the 802D ,SSP-800 and the 5200 amp, but the actual dealer who wants to sell the ssp800 made a coment that the 802D would sound much better with an entry level krell over the classe 5200. Can someone enlighten me on your thoughts and opinions, What would be the least expensinve Krell I could go with that would make the 802D sound better than the classe 5200. Also any opinions on the Krell S1200U?
  • crytklmass
    • Dec 2008

He didn't suggest McIntosh? I owned Classe, Krell and Mac. It really depends on YOUR ears. Krell amps are known for bass. While my MC205 (200wpc) played nicely, the MC501's really opened up my 802d's, and the MC1.2k even more. Guess it depends on your room size and what your looking for. You can't go wrong with either amp. Wish I could be more helpful.
    BOB

Comment

• RedWolf
      • Sep 2007

I have always felt that Krell is the best match for B&W. Krell is heavy in the base, which is the exact area that B&W speakers need the most support, while being forgiving on the midrange and high end of the speaker. I guarantee you will fall in love with these setups. Two people I know replaced their Classe systems when they realized how Krell balances their power in the lower frequencies. Even I made a Krell purchase. It is all about system balance and the Krell makes up for some of the inherent design differences that the 800 series possess.

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Right now I am using Krell amplification (KAV-3250 + KAV-2250) to drive my 802D's. I'm also using their latest processor, the S-1200 (not the "u" model). I am very satisfied. The high current KAV's run comparatively cool and yet exert significant control over the 802D's, Ok ... I am planning an amplificatuon upgrade to Krell's EVO 403e to drive my front end - but this goal has been a longterm one - let it not detract from the fact that in my opinion the KAV amps are fantastic. (I like the KAV amps so much that even though an upgrade is in the pipeline, I'm not selling the KAV - the plan is to use it in a second smaller system). Unfortunately, I cannot give you any comparative opinions. The best would be to try to audition them for yourself. It's the sound that YOU like that would be right for you. I'm assuming that you're looking towards the Krell S-275 amplifiers. These are an upgrade to the previous model KAV amps.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Comment

• DeepEndX
          • Feb 2005

1st rule of thumb, always listen to all amps or speakers before the big purchase. B&W speakers are very musical and do reflect different amp styles.

I would describe the amps as follow:
          Krell: Dynamic, bright, detail
          Macs: Fluid/silky
          Classe: Airy

All three amps are very good and have its own strengths and weaknesses. I listen to jazz, pop, rock so I bought the Krells. I tried classical/orchestra music, and Macs sounded best IMO.

Good luck.

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

bigchief,

I will echo what has been said here. All of these are very good. It comes down to doing a serious audition on all of them.

I did that and the Mac's were the best for me. It's serious money, so do the listening.

Will you dealer allow you to take equipment home to demo? That would be ideal.

Are you considering mixing amp and processor (i.e. Classe pre with Krell amp, etc.). My experience says keeping the processor and amps the same maker is ideal for system synergy.

One minor (maybe) thing I did notice about the Krell amps. They get pretty hot. I've never seen a amp maker list BTU outputs for amps before, but Krell does. You need to give LOTs of room around them.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• bigchief
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by crytklmass
              He didn't suggest McIntosh? I owned Classe, Krell and Mac. It really depends on YOUR ears. Krell amps are known for bass. While my MC205 (200wpc) played nicely, the MC501's really opened up my 802d's, and the MC1.2k even more. Guess it depends on your room size and what your looking for. You can't go wrong with either amp. Wish I could be more helpful.
              Actually they never mentiond Mac, but I have heard nothing but great things about Mac gear, but the appearance has me and the wife in a split. I think somewhat cool with the digital retro look, but she thinks ughh! Got to keep the wife happy also she is paying for half of my upgrade. :B And since I am already modifying our HT from a fully enlcosed neat look, to a B&W sound stage look she is not all in tuned with it, but fair as she know I can spend hours upon hours listening to music with a cold beverage! :lol:

Comment

• bigchief
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by RedWolf
                I have always felt that Krell is the best match for B&W. Krell is heavy in the base, which is the exact area that B&W speakers need the most support, while being forgiving on the midrange and high end of the speaker. I guarantee you will fall in love with these setups. Two people I know replaced their Classe systems when they realized how Krell balances their power in the lower frequencies. Even I made a Krell purchase. It is all about system balance and the Krell makes up for some of the inherent design differences that the 800 series possess.
                Thanks for the advice, but with out breaking the bank which Krell did you decide on? I have been told to try and get one used 302 for the fronts 802D an a Krell 5 channel with abut 150 watts per channel for the remainding surround speakers encluding the HTM2D center channel.

Comment

• bigchief
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                  Right now I am using Krell amplification (KAV-3250 + KAV-2250) to drive my 802D's. I'm also using their latest processor, the S-1200 (not the "u" model). I am very satisfied. The high current KAV's run comparatively cool and yet exert significant control over the 802D's, Ok ... I am planning an amplificatuon upgrade to Krell's EVO 403e to drive my front end - but this goal has been a longterm one - let it not detract from the fact that in my opinion the KAV amps are fantastic. (I like the KAV amps so much that even though an upgrade is in the pipeline, I'm not selling the KAV - the plan is to use it in a second smaller system). Unfortunately, I cannot give you any comparative opinions. The best would be to try to audition them for yourself. It's the sound that YOU like that would be right for you. I'm assuming that you're looking towards the Krell S-275 amplifiers. These are an upgrade to the previous model KAV amps.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
                  I wish I could addition the amps, but there are not a lot of HT stores here in Jacksonville, Fl. I'd have to drive a couple of hours to Orlando or Tampa in hopes to find a store that may have Classe and Krell for comparasion, which seems to be a task in itself.
                  The stores here won't let me take any equipment home. I don't have that kind of rapport yet, or should I say I have not spent that type of money with them yet :B :B

Comment

• bigchief
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by DeepEndX
                    1st rule of thumb, always listen to all amps or speakers before the big purchase. B&W speakers are very musical and do reflect different amp styles.

I would describe the amps as follow:
                    Krell: Dynamic, bright, detail
                    Macs: Fluid/silky
                    Classe: Airy

All three amps are very good and have its own strengths and weaknesses. I listen to jazz, pop, rock so I bought the Krells. I tried classical/orchestra music, and Macs sounded best IMO.

Good luck.
                    I will have to listen to a set of 802D with a krell amp some how before making my final decision. I have heard it with the Classe 5200, but the guys seemed to have the volumn up a bit to wake the speakers up. Who ws the same guy that said he recommended a Krell over the Classe gear.
                    As for music we have similar taste in that jazz especially an old vocal piece is my primary choice then pop/r&b and rock.

Comment

• bigchief
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by htsteve
                      bigchief,

I will echo what has been said here. All of these are very good. It comes down to doing a serious audition on all of them.

I did that and the Mac's were the best for me. It's serious money, so do the listening.

Will you dealer allow you to take equipment home to demo? That would be ideal.

Are you considering mixing amp and processor (i.e. Classe pre with Krell amp, etc.). My experience says keeping the processor and amps the same maker is ideal for system synergy.

One minor (maybe) thing I did notice about the Krell amps. They get pretty hot. I've never seen a amp maker list BTU outputs for amps before, but Krell does. You need to give LOTs of room around them.

Hope this helps.
                      Hey Steve'

I have talked to the wife about finding a store here in Florida or Georgia and go listen to a Krell setup. I will also find a Mac dealer to. They are jsut all spread out. No one dealer here seems to carry the combination.
                      As for heat of the amp, I had plan on installing a fan on top of the amp anyway to push the heat away, because I have plans off installing it under the Ht screen somewhat in its on rollable rack in a cabinet.
                      And which ever amp I go with I will stay with the processors.

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by bigchief
                        I will have to listen to a set of 802D with a krell amp some how before making my final decision. I have heard it with the Classe 5200, but the guys seemed to have the volumn up a bit to wake the speakers up. Who ws the same guy that said he recommended a Krell over the Classe gear. As for music we have similar taste in that jazz especially an old vocal piece is my primary choice then pop/r&b and rock.
                        Yes you have to crank up the volume for the 802D to come alive. I have the CA-5200 and it does a good job
                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• DeepEndX
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by bigchief
                          I will have to listen to a set of 802D with a krell amp some how before making my final decision. I have heard it with the Classe 5200, but the guys seemed to have the volumn up a bit to wake the speakers up. Who ws the same guy that said he recommended a Krell over the Classe gear.
                          As for music we have similar taste in that jazz especially an old vocal piece is my primary choice then pop/r&b and rock.
                          Biggie, make sure you listen to both amps with the same settings (equipment, volume, positioning.) If not, at least keep the volume the same. 802D are power hungry speakers and Krell excel when the music is turned way up.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

A quick update (which may be of some assistence):

I've had my new Krell Evolution 403e amp for two weeks now and it is incredible imho. The KAV amp is no slouch, but the 403e takes it to another level altogether. It is as if a veil has been removed and all that is presented is simply the music, only the music and nothing but the music. I am not able to define the 403e's signature, for (imho) there is none. The music it amplifies is not harsh, not bright. Dynamic it sure is. Generally speaking, it is as if the musical instruments themselves are being played in my lounge. Sounds such as the tizz on cymbals seem to be absolutely complete and last longer, as if I were striking them myself. Bass is perfect. Better than the KAV? Yes! Imho, the 403e allows the music through ... untainted. It can also deliver masses of power and controls my 802D's like I've never experienced before. There were a few times that I felt the KAV was close to clipping (not too difficult to sense) when pushing my 802D's - it did not clip, but minor distortions were there. Not so with the 403e. Simply put ... the 403e is rocking me right outta my chair!

My apologies for me seeming to be egging you on ... that is sincerely not my intention. I felt that I needed to share my opinion on my experience between the KAV amp & the latest EVOe acquisition. If I were on a budget, knowing what I've experienced lately ... I'd probably look for a second hand KAV amp to keep me going until an EVOe amp became affordable.

Best of luck.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2009

If you can give a Chord amplifier a listen too.... There I got mine in...
                              Main System:
                              B&W 801D
                              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                              Oppo BDP-105
                              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                              B&W CM7
                              Emotiva UMC-1
                              Emotiva UPA-2
                              Oppo BDP-83SE
                              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                • Mar 2005

I had a Krell TAS 5x200 that I recently sold and went to a Classe CT 5300. I felt it was a big upgrade. The krell had a midrange that had a slight bit of harshness with my 800Ds. The new Classe has a very smooth midrange and sounds great with the bass too. I had two others with me when we installed the new Classe and everyone couldn't believe the difference with the Classe over the Krell TAS even though the Classe was right out of the box new without break-in.

Comment

• Pedro
                                  • Jan 2006

My experience with Krell and B&W points to the fact they are better suited with 800D, and 801D, because these speakers has a more flat response than the others,which means no coloration in any frequency especially in the mids and highs.

Among the Krells amps no doubt, the evolution series are one of the best i heard and sound very different than the old KAV and FPB series, much more musical and no analytical. The Classe Delta is surelly a step down compared to Evolutions. The Evolutions IMO would be just compared with big McIntosh (1,2KW and above).

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Evo's drooool.

Some day.
                                    B&W

Comment

• Eliav
                                      • Jul 2005

"The Classe Delta is surelly a step down compared to Evolutions".
                                      Unless you have made an A to B comparison ( which you most likely did not), this statement means nothing.
                                      :T Socrat

Comment

• DeepEndX
                                        • Feb 2005

The Evo's are a huge step up from previous Krell series. The only similarities would be the bass. The harshness from the high and mid is gone and the amps is a lot more musical (soft and airy).

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"