• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

Hi TYE,

confusion no connection.... :W :W

Stay with the 805Di or if you really have this posssibility go with a 804Di.

I have listen the 802D and the 802Di and the 803Di.

I had the 803D. --> I have te 803Di as front now, and the 803D as rear!!

the 802D "old" are a good speaker no word: but I have listen the 803Di vs. the 802D and I'm go at home with the new Di!!!

And I'm Happy & Satisfact! :T

Style

Comment

• magicvinny
      • Jul 2008

Hey guys,

I have a problem!!!

I have the 805Di for a few weeks now. The more I listen to them, movies en music, the more I'm starting to dislike the speakers!!

They really sound much too sharp! I was watching the swordscene in the movie HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS and I had to turn the sound down because it hurt my ears

If this is really the sound of those speakers then I will sell them.

I think it is also possible that the 805Di and the Denon 3808 is not a good match.
      Maybe Rotel would be better. I hope the problem is the reciever.

What do you think??

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

magicvinny,

I would defintiely check out your electronics. The 805Di's should sound excellent.

You can approach electronics two ways. First, I would consider getting an outboard stereo amp for the speakers. The amp sections in receivers typically cannot deliver current to make really good speakers sound good.

Next, investigate the pre-amp section. This can simply be done by replacing the Denon with a higher end pre-amp or receiver.

Hopefully, you can simply get demo pieces to help you figure out if the receiver is the issue.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by htsteve
          magicvinny,

I would defintiely check out your electronics. The 805Di's should sound excellent.

You can approach electronics two ways. First, I would consider getting an outboard stereo amp for the speakers. The amp sections in receivers typically cannot deliver current to make really good speakers sound good.

Next, investigate the pre-amp section. This can simply be done by replacing the Denon with a higher end pre-amp or receiver.

Hopefully, you can simply get demo pieces to help you figure out if the receiver is the issue.

Hope this helps.
          I agree. The problem with B&W speakers is that they require very good electronics to enable them to sound good. The benefit, is that they sound great with the very good electronics.

My speakers opened up and now sound excellent once I put together the right combination of front end electronics. I started out with a receiver and quickly realized it was the problem that caused the bright and ear bleeding sound.

IMO, select different speakers that are more forgiving if you are not prepared to invest in the right electronics.

Comment

• magicvinny
            • Jul 2008

Thank you for the reply! :T

I was thinking of buying the pre-amp from Rotel(RMB-1575). Do you think that would change the sound completely?

The 1575 is 250W/ch and the 1565 is 100W/ch.

Wich one would be a good match with the 805Di?

Maybe Classe would be even better but that doesn't fit in the budget.

Thanks

Comment

• htsteve
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

magicvinny,

I am assuming your question is around the amps listed (the words 'pre-amp' are before a model number for an amp). The amp is a very good place to start.

My vote would be the RMB-1575. It will be quite excellent for your current setup and also allow you to get larger speakers later without having to upgrade the amp. This is not likely the case with the 1565.

If you get an outboard amp now, later on you would replace the Denon with a dedicated pre-amp for even better performance.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Pedro
                • Jan 2006

Does anyone red some review or have the frequency response graphic of the 805Di?

Comment

• AV-OCD
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by magicvinny
                  Hey guys,

I have a problem!!!

I have the 805Di for a few weeks now. The more I listen to them, movies en music, the more I'm starting to dislike the speakers!!

They really sound much too sharp! I was watching the swordscene in the movie HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS and I had to turn the sound down because it hurt my ears

If this is really the sound of those speakers then I will sell them.

I think it is also possible that the 805Di and the Denon 3808 is not a good match.
                  Maybe Rotel would be better. I hope the problem is the reciever.

What do you think??
                  Hi Vinny -

I hope that my comments earlier in this thread didn't taint your feelings about the 805Di, as I had a similar issue with the sound when I owned them.

But that is water under the bridge.

I do feel that the lower level Denons can sound a bit sharp / etched, so it is worth a try to chose different electronics.

I haven't listened to the Rotel home theater pieces, but the 2Ch integrated seemed to have a smoother top end than the Denon.

I have two specific recommendations for reducing sharpness though. The Arcam AV500 (an AV receiver) or the Marantz AV8003 (prepro). In my personal auditions, both of these components took the edge off of the sound and they are both relatively afforable as high-end audio gear goes.

If those two pieces don't do it for you, then I believe it is the speakers.

Good luck!

Comment

• Tommy
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by magicvinny
                    I upgraded from the XT8 to the 805Di
                    My rear speakers are B&W in-ceiling speakers: 1 back surround(CCM80) and Left/Right surround are CDS3.
                    My question is what in-ceiling/in-wall speakers would be a better match for the 805Di's???
                    I really like the TV stand. Great taste. Would you mind sharing which model of Verardo you acquired? I cannot find the one shown in your photo. Thank you.

Comment

• magicvinny
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Tommy
                      I really like the TV stand. Great taste. Would you mind sharing which model of Verardo you acquired? I cannot find the one shown in your photo. Thank you.
                      Hey Tommy,

Thank you.

Well the Verardo cabinet is the Kronos-series. I'm just not shure if they are still making the Kronos.
                      Good luck with your search!

Vinny

Comment

• Relentless
                        • Jul 2007

Are you tired of the Dynaudio's yet? When are you going to try the Wilson Duette?
                        I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                        Lou

Comment

• magicvinny
                          • Jul 2008

Just a little update on my system.

I bought the Rotel RMB-1575 and connected it to the B&W 805Di.

There clearly is a difference in sound. But the difference is not as big as I would have thought.
                          The speakers sound warmer now with the Rotel and the biggest difference is that they sound less sharp. That was the most important to me.

Bottom line is that I'm happy with the Rotel. The speakers sound less sharp( they still sound sharp but it's acceptable).

Comment

• htsteve
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

Vinny,

Good. I'm glad the new amp has solved the main issue you had.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Hello vinny. There is a very good chance that you can improve the sound of your speakers further if you are prepared to experiment further with your setup. Harsh room reflections, equipment isolation, your choice of power strip, and even your choice of cables all contribute to the final flavour of the sound. It's possible to make those speakers sound so not bright with a bit of experimentation. There is lots of info on this topic if you do a few searches on this site. Getting the right speakers and amp are only a small part of the sound that you hear, and I have lost count of the number of times I have heard big provements out of small smart changes.
                              Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                              Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Relentless
                                Are you tired of the Dynaudio's yet? When are you going to try the Wilson Duette?
                                Sorry, I haven't frequented this thread much since I parted with the 805s. I have had the Dynaudio C1s for about a month now, and funny enough, at first they sounded more sharp and edgy than the B&Ws. 8O This is a first for me, but they actually mellowed out quite a bit after about 300 hours of use. In fact, they don't sound edgy or harsh at all now.

I'm still playing around with different speakers though. I've got a pair of Audio Physic Virgo 25's on order and I hope to make a choice between them and the C1's after I've listened to them for a month or so.

The rest of the story can be found here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post18736542

PS - The Wilson Duettes didn't make it on the short list because there is no matching center speaker or surrounds. The Watt Pups do, but they are too big.

Comment

• romnation
                                  • Jan 2010

Does anyone else think the new 805Dis are a bit analytical sounding? (especially in the mid upper mids) This is what I have noticed when comparing them to the 805S. No denying the highs and bass are better on them though. Maybes its just my gear though? (Cambridge Audio 840E / 840W combo)

Comment

• beden1
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by romnation
                                    Does anyone else think the new 805Dis are a bit analytical sounding? (especially in the mid upper mids) This is what I have noticed when comparing them to the 805S. No denying the highs and bass are better on them though. Maybes its just my gear though? (Cambridge Audio 840E / 840W combo)
                                    I think a better word may be that they are more revealing. I find this to be true with my 804Di(s) as well. But, they are also extremely detailed, and IMO, they draw you into the music more than the previous diamond versions.

Comment

• alebonau
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Oct 2005

heard the 805D vs the new PM1 last night off electrocompaniet amp and cd players. and wow what can I say the 805D really impressed ! solid clean punchy bass, with good depth and grip. I'd go as far as saying in smaller rooms as I demoed in I really wouldnt bother with running with a sub woofer for 2ch !
                                      the top end was very clean and clear too. nice wide expansive sound stage. definitely it seemed me a step up from the 805S have heard a few times before.
                                      Attached Files
                                      "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"