• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

New Rocket reference speakers

Rocket Reference

Every gemologist knows that the value of a fine diamond is determined by its "4C" rating. Those four categories (Cut, Color, Carat weight, and Clarity) determine gemstone quality and, indeed, only the rarest and most exquisite of diamonds excel in all four areas. We have come to believe that fine audio equipment is similarly scarce. Indeed, one can determine the quality of a loudspeaker by applying an analogous "4C" critique of its Components, Crossovers, Cabinets, Cosmetics. With that in mind, we designed Rocket Loudspeakers by Onix to exhibit rarified levels of excellence in sound quality, craftmanship, and visual appeal--at down-to-earth prices. Combining custom-built drivers, phase-optimized crossovers designed by the legendary Dick Pierce, sturdy rear-ported enclosures, and breathtaking natural rosewood veneers, Rocket Loudspeakers represent the very essence of audio quality. We invite you to peruse these products to find out why.

It is said that the element that combines the "4Cs" of a diamond and ignites its brilliance and inner fire is light. We believe you'll agree that the element that ignites the brilliance and inner fire of Rocket Loudspeakers is sound. You owe it to yourself to experience such an awe-inspiring rarity.

So what happens when Onix pulls out the stops and produces a "cost no object" loudspeaker? Introducing the all new Reference line from Onix Loudspeakers.
    Intended to introduce the most discerning audiophiles to the new standard of discrete multi-channel theater and music, the Onix Reference 2 focuses first on outstanding 2-channel soundstaging, imaging, and balance, with additional crossover optimization suitable for reference multi-channel systems. Intended to bridge the gap between the traditional listening room and the dedicated home-theater, the Onix Reference 2 promises to offer performance and quality beyond your highest expecations.

Featuring TWO of the elite French-made Atohm high-excursion 5.25" mid-bass woofers, the renowned Vifa XT Ring Radiator tweeter, 1" MDF internally braced cabinets, and high-gloss Birds Eye Maple finish, the Ref 2 not only outperforms the competition, but outclasses as well. Harness the power of the Ref 2 for yourself and find out why the professionals have named it "product of the year."

• David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Pr@, the Rocket's have certainly generated a loyal and vocal following over at AVS! I wonder how they'd team up with the Rotel pre/pro and amps?

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

Very attractive speaker...though I'd like to see it in more finishes than blonde and black.

Despite their strong following I just don't like their business model. I'm a huge fan of Internet shopping but I could NEVER buy speakers without detailed auditions. I am constantly shocked by the number of "audio enthusiasts" willing to purchase speakers based upon word-of-mouth alone.

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• awtryau89
        • Dec 2002

Andrew,
        I own 4 for the Ref 1's (well the second pair is on its way) and the Ref 100 Center. I went out on a limb as Sili states and tried them without hearing them. Now the Ref 1's are a small speaker and shipping is not that bad so I wouldn't out much money. Anyway, I was very skeptical at first but after having Energy Veritas, B&W NT805's, JM Labs 906 ELectras and Totem Model One Sigs in my room to demo against them, I am sold. I even took them to 2 dealers to listen to Revel F-30s and some GR-Research and came home with the Refs and a big smile. These are an outstanding speaker that does what I am looking for, very detailed, not harsh, alive sounding and unbelievable bass for such a small package. They play very big and I would look at them over the Ref 2's. Anyway, I have gotten to know Mark Schifter fairly well over the last few months and he has his head on straight and will not produce anything that does not offer outstanding value for the money. As you know, he was the founder of Audio Alchemy and was part owner with Artie N. in Genesis Loudspeakers. He has his hands in alot of different areas and is doing some amazing things.

Eric Awtry
        War Eagle
        Eric Awtry
        War Eagle

Comment

• mattburk
          • Feb 2003

would the rotel RMB1075 be enough to run those in a HT set up?
          www.mycstone.com
          www.coverednow.com
          www.biarenton.com

Comment

• awtryau89
            • Dec 2002

Most definitely. I am using 4 Parasound HCA-1000a's which are rated about the same I believe. The Ref 2's are actually higher sensitivity at 91dbs.

Eric Awtry
            War Eagle
            Eric Awtry
            War Eagle

Comment

• RedStep
              • Sep 2002

I know I'm late to this, but, Please tell me that they haven't got to you too Andrew ("brainwashed" or worse yet, on the "payroll") I don't visit other forums because I got so tired of reading mfg reps push their products...I got soooo tired of hearing about Rocket loudspeakers, SVS subs, Outlaw amps...and those damn ceramic speakers (the name eludes me)

RedStep
              We are truly a product of the decisions we make
              RedStep
              We are truly a product of the decisions we make

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Red nope no brainwashing going on here They're using the same tweeter and similar driver to what I used in my DIY speakers so unless they totally botched the cross over they should sound pretty damn good. Besides unless I buy some martin logans I've likely bought my last comerical speaker

Comment

• SiliGoose
                  • Aug 2000

Please tell me that they haven't got to you too Andrew ("brainwashed" or worse yet, on the "payroll") I don't visit other forums because I got so tired of reading mfg reps push their products...I got soooo tired of hearing about Rocket loudspeakers, SVS subs, Outlaw amps...and those damn ceramic speakers
                  LOL!!

-Sili
                  www.campmurphy.net

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"